User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
krazygloo OP
pinch me

Oddometer: 359
Anza-Borrego

We took a few days off work to head out to the Anza-Borrego desert to do some scouting for our upcoming series, Moto Americana. I was also hoping to work on a few off-road skills, sand and rock being the things needed work, so this area is perfect to learn more.

Having done some riding out here before, we were happy to speed over the bits we have done, and on to the unknown:

Joe speeding across the Clark Dry Lake

One of our friends from Seattle came down for the ride, on a Honda 450, I was a bit envious of the lighter bike on this trail, this was after my first spill on the sandy wash on Rockhouse Canyon Road.

Further up near the end of the trail, I tried to paddle around some rocks, bad idea, I paddled myself into the rocks, of course!

My bike likes being horizontal for some reason. I'm building up my courage to ride over these standing up, and I know, it will take time to learn, but it's still frustrating.

Here is Joe along some of the further sections of Rockhouse Canyon Road.

In a rare moment, my bike is upright! We head down Rockhouse Canyon Road. It is a real shame this road doesn't go through to anything, but once you pass the Dry Lake, it's beautiful up in the hills.

We then head over to Grapevine Canyon, a super big bike friendly road, beautiful views and nice packed sandy roads.

Grapevine pops you out somewhere along Montezuma Valley Road which is a quick trip into Jullian for some pie!

Some of the great cactus along route, don't want to run into any of these!

The other area we wanted to check out was Pinyon Mountain Road, some other friends had recently road it, and we wanted to see if it was big bike friendly.

At the top of the ridge, it was looking good.

Sandy, but good

Beautiful view of the valley below. The other great thing about this area is you'll see lots of military aircraft buzzing around, doing lots of low flying!

Further along the trail we come to the "Squeeze"

A view from the bottom of the "Squeeze"

Our friend Andre first, on the 450

Then Joe on the F800

Andre and Joe helped me take the bike down, no way I could ride that without falling over again....

After the "Squeeze" there are still a few rocky sections before you get to the Pinyon Drop-off. It was getting late in the day, and there was no way we could traverse these sections and still ride the 20 miles out of the Fish Creek wash. We decided it was a good time to turn back, of course, you can imagine trying to get those bikes back up the "squeeze", it was not an easy task!

View from camp at Palm Canyon, very expensive to stay here, next time we'll camp out by the dry lake. Notice the residual dust from the storm from 2 days previous.

A better view of the sand as you look straight up at the night sky. This area is amazing, listening to the coyotes at night, the views, the area, the riding. Beautiful!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Jim Motorad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Cool, I love Anza Borrego. Nice photos of the dust. Used to run all over the place in my old FJ40 and FJ Cruiser. Looking forward to exploring it on two wheels now. Are there any riding clubs in the area that you can recommend. I'm a new rider in San Diego.
Jim Motorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
krazygloo OP
pinch me

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Motorad View Post
Cool, I love Anza Borrego. Nice photos of the dust. Used to run all over the place in my old FJ40 and FJ Cruiser. Looking forward to exploring it on two wheels now. Are there any riding clubs in the area that you can recommend. I'm a new rider in San Diego.
Hi Jim, We are new to the area as well, and ran into some KTM riders in the area who recommended:

http://dualsport-sd.com/

http://bmwocsd.org/

and they also said on a Saturday or Sunday people meet up at Giovanni's for local rides. I couldn't tell you where this is, so if you know, pass on the info! What are you riding? PM me with your contact info as we often do rides in and around your area!

Flora