ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
bete OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Cades Cove? yes, no?

Headed to Maggie Valley NC. from Kansas to meet a friend there, I will be going by close to Cades Cove and wondering if it's worth the time to go through. Any opinions ? Thank U. bete.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
BaldKnob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Go early...

if you go at all. The crowds will be mind numbing, it will most likely be hot and the city folk will be stopping (in the middle of the road) to geegaw at mundane things like a deer or hedgehog. If you aren't rolling into the Cove by 10am, you will be hating life. That said, Cade's Cove can be a very interesting and scenic ride. I've seen bears each time and sometimes there are elk in the fields. Be sure to ride Parson's Branch south to the Gap. It is only 8-9 miles of gravel and so easy, a Civic can do it. And whatever you do... avoid Pigeon Forge. You have been warned, enjoy your trip.
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
monjorrow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Cades cove and pigeon forge can get crowded on the weekends, but throughout the week they arent that bad
monjorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldKnob View Post
if you go at all. The crowds will be mind numbing, it will most likely be hot and the city folk will be stopping (in the middle of the road) to geegaw at mundane things like a deer or hedgehog. If you aren't rolling into the Cove by 10am, you will be hating life. That said, Cade's Cove can be a very interesting and scenic ride. I've seen bears each time and sometimes there are elk in the fields. Be sure to ride Parson's Branch south to the Gap. It is only 8-9 miles of gravel and so easy, a Civic can do it. And whatever you do... avoid Pigeon Forge. You have been warned, enjoy your trip.
+1

I love CC, but it can get crowded. Best to stay away if your are in a hurry.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 132
What they said. On a weekday other than friday before it gets hot... it can be really nice. If there's much traffic and/or you stop and walk around at the many cabins, churches, and such it'll take at least a couple hours to get through. There are a couple cut-throughs to bail out of part of it if it's backed up.

On a pretty weekend it looks a lot like this....

Note that Parson's Branch and Rich Mtn Road are both one-way OUT of the park. Both are typically in decent shape though the gravel can get pretty soupy in spots.

If the traffic is bad and there's park rangers around, I suggest you NOT start passing cars on the shoulders.... AMHIK.

If you like history type stuff, there's a ton of it in the cove.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
forsythadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
+1 Wednesdays are usually the days with the least crowds. Only foot and bicycles before 10 am on the loop road, open to "motorized" traffic after that. If you enjoy flyfishing some of the best trout streams are close by.
forsythadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
bete OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Thanks all, I will see how much time I have when I get close, I kinda hate crowds. bete.