ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #2341
joints4sale OP
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroni View Post
What's the vibration like on the 625? As I understand it, it's pretty bad.

I'm also looking at a DR650 and the Husky 610. Anyone have any comments about those?
It's got lots of "Vibe". That's why I consider it more dirt than street enduro. At highway speeds it is not fun.
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #2342
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 1,978
Matt, any interest in wr250r? Price range is right, fuel injected and stupid service intervals (26k miles on the valves).
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #2343
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
Matt, any interest in wr250r? Price range is right, fuel injected and stupid service intervals (26k miles on the valves).
I've honestly never thought seriously about it. It just seems to small. What's your take on it?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #2344
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

They'll run at 70 all day on the highway. 75 might be a problem. Bulletproof, between 60-70mpg, good aftermarket. Supposed to be decent off-road out of the box. 300 pounds or so. 2gallon tank. Hold on... I hear izzy causing havoc.
VAC
Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #2345
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,438
Matt...why don't you tell us your requirements and then we can look for bikes that fit, rather than the other way around. One of the problems is that light and fast usually come with problems such as frequent oil changes, small gas tanks, and a lack of mounting locations for stuff.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #2346
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

I want something that is light, capable off road and is good for longer distance travel. I don't want something that's going to vibrate the shit out of me, though I understand and accept that whatever I get will be less comfortable than the 990. I want to be able to run heated gear, grips, and a GPS plus has affordable after market upgrades. Huge power isn't an issue for me, I've never ragged out the 990 and I never planned to. Riding fast and hard just isn't my thing.

I don't need a lot of space since I can fit all of my camping gear including food/water into a 38 liter pack. I'm used to traveling light and all my stuff is already waterproof.

I can only have one bike so I need something that's a do-it-all. I don't need a commuter and most of the trips I take are for fun and adventure. I want to spend more time in the woods and less on the asphalt.

The 990 is great for highway and asphalt but off road wise I'm tentative and thus lag behind. The last time I was off road was at CCC3 and about half way through the ride I was exhausted from lugging that behemoth 990 through the woods. I ended up ditching out on the last three trails and headed back to camp while everyone else continued on...and I hated that.

From my experience at CornerSpin, I came to understand that a lighter bike allowed me to push my limits farther and try things I never would have tried on the 990. After that I started thinking a little bike would be more fun and I would enjoy myself more.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #2347
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,554
DRZ....

(not sure it fits your electrical requirements though)
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #2348
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Nice write up Matt.

Affordability lends itself to Jap bikes. The aftermarket is huge for DRs, KLRs, XR(Ls) and (Rs), WRs, et al. KTMs also have quite a big aftermarket, but maintenance bits are pricier, and potentially take longer to get. Most of the KTMS have shorter service intervals as well. IMO the adage of it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow almost applies unconditionally. Cornerspin was a shit ton of fun on those 7hp bikes that don't weigh shit.

KLRs are too heavy IMO. It's one thing if you are EOD, it's another thing if you are gastone. DRs are generally considered to be better on unpaved surfaces than KLRs, and upgrading the suspension makes them even better still. With the Jap dual sports you aren't going to get a fully adjustable top notch suspension like you will with some of the Euro brands (save BMWs that just put shit suspension on all their bikes). KTM and huskys are setup nicely from the factory. Sure, you can upgrade further, but the point is that you will most likely be able to get by with making adjustments to what comes with. As far as luggage goes, if you can pack everything into 38 litres you should be good to go on just about anything. All of the aforementioned Jap bikes have a rear subframe that will support that. KLRs have around a 240w stator, and DRs will run around 200. XRLs are 180w and the WRs have a 350w alternator. So the WRs definitely won't have a problem running your gear, and a KLR would probably be fine. The DRs will probably be okay as they aren't FI so your engine won't have a big power draw. XRLs are cutting it close, though there are aftermarket stators available. XRRs are lower still, but again you can get a Ricky Stator which I think is 250w. The new 690s are around a 224w alternator, but they are FI so the 224 doesn't get you as far.

Here's a quick find on DR output: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=4

Once you get into the EXC series KTMs you are looking at much tighter service intervals, much lower outputs (<150w), and much tougher to carry gear.

Edit: I think the TE610s are 240w and the 630 is 265 watts.

If your budget is sub 5k that will surely eliminate many of the newer KTMs as well as any 690. You can get plenty of well farkeled RFSs in that price range, but after riding Dennis' there's no way I'd want to ride one on a highway. Too vibey for me. There are plenty of inmates with the aforementioned bikes... try to bum a test ride if you can.
VAC

gastone screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 09:23 AM
Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #2349
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards a DR650 but I'm open to suggestions or recommendations.

Hey Dave, maybe you'll let me take your DRZ for a spin sometime.....
Old 10-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #2350
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

It's all about requirements....

Sorry, but after reading the last several posts I find that the wants versus needs really don't work. I deal with requirements all the time and until you really sit down and noodle out what you want and what is more important in a cost/meet mission requirement kind of then any bike will work...really.
Price range: <10,000? <7,000? <5,000? ,<4,000?
Power requirements: must run heated grips, heated jacket, GPS, and miscellaneous electronic stuff; So at a minumum you probably need 200 watts and probably closer to 250 for a bit of margin. Small bikes generally don't make gobs of power so you may have to a bit more careful with what you run at the same time
Range before fill up; 100 Miles?, 150 Miles?, 200Miles?, 250 Miles? Aftermarket gas tanks can be expensive if made at all.
Comfortable cruising speed; 55?, 60?, 65?, 70? If you are looking for something in the 65Mph range then something with a good 6th gear should move up the list.
Length of time you will be at cruising speed; 2 hours ?, 4 hours ?, 6 hours ?, all day for multiple days? There again if you will be spending long days in the saddle getting somewhere then 6th gear should move up the list.
Wind protection; yes or no? Long days at speed then it should move up on the importance scale
More main stream or do you prefer exotic?
Aftermarket parts/aftermarket support important?
Dealer support important?
New vs used?
If used maximum number of miles willing to accept?
Does it need to have a 21 inch front wheel?
Does your plan include money to upgrade a bare bones bike or just ride it? Farkles and suspension are damn expensive! If buying used look for the most farkled out bike you can find so the previous owner takes the $ hit on farkles.

All done.

blaster11 screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 01:50 PM
blaster11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #2351
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Here is the bike I would buy if I was in the market and wanted something that would do all things better than well but not really great at any thing other than gas mileage. Oh and it is in DC to boot.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #2352
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

And if I were buying new this would be high on the list.
http://www.motorcyclespreview.com/20...ra-review.html
Old 10-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #2353
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroni View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards a DR650 but I'm open to suggestions or recommendations.

Hey Dave, maybe you'll let me take your DRZ for a spin sometime.....
No problem....just got to figure out when
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #2354
Bucco
BMW Guy

Oddometer: 15
BMW G650GS? Good legs, 70 mpg, can carry lots, and lighter and easier than the bigger bikes.
Bucco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #2355
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
BMW G650GS? Good legs, 70 mpg, can carry lots, and lighter and easier than the bigger bikes.
good choice - rode one to Alaska and back
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is online now   Reply With Quote