ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #2596
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,525
Sorry to hear that Dave!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #2597
joints4sale OP
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,856
Sorry for your loss Dave. I am glad that you are able to be there for your mother.
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #2598
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,673
Crap, I come in here to say hey and saw the bad news - I'm sorry for your loss Dave, but I'm glad you got to be there for your mother. I hope everyone's doing well otherwise.

So...

I finally got the DR running again a few months ago and have been getting ready for a four week cross country trip. I'll be heading out solo this weekend and making a somewhat counterclockwise loop hitting the Black Hills, Yellowstone, the PCH, some of the parks in Utah, the Rockies in Colorado, maybe down to Texas and then back home.

Anyway, I've been avoiding this place since it has sucked up so much of my time before I didn't want to go down that path again and my willpower is close to nonexistent I've missed you guys and I'll have to make it out to something soon.

I got a Spot (mostly to keep my mother from going completely crazy with worry) so if you want to follow along, here's the link. I'll try to post something once in a while, but I'm not taking a computer so don't count on it.

I hope everyone's doing well!
2. To ignore an event until the last minute so as to avoid any expectations of attendance, but then show up anyway.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #2599
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
It's all about the magic of unicorns.

BTW I'll be in town 8-25 thru 9-1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
Crap, I come in here to say hey and saw the bad news - I'm sorry for your loss Dave, but I'm glad you got to be there for your mother. I hope everyone's doing well otherwise.

So...

I finally got the DR running again a few months ago and have been getting ready for a four week cross country trip. I'll be heading out solo this weekend and making a somewhat counterclockwise loop hitting the Black Hills, Yellowstone, the PCH, some of the parks in Utah, the Rockies in Colorado, maybe down to Texas and then back home.

Anyway, I've been avoiding this place since it has sucked up so much of my time before I didn't want to go down that path again and my willpower is close to nonexistent I've missed you guys and I'll have to make it out to something soon.

I got a Spot (mostly to keep my mother from going completely crazy with worry) so if you want to follow along, here's the link. I'll try to post something once in a while, but I'm not taking a computer so don't count on it.

I hope everyone's doing well!
Sounds like an awesome trip, be safe! Have fun and take lots of pictures as it's always great to see things from other people's perspective.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #2600
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,591
Thanks Mike, hope you have a great ride.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #2601
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Mike......did you think about this; MedJet Assist, you can get it for short term which may help you get home in case of a mishap.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:25 AM   #2602
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,673
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Mike......did you think about this; MedJet Assist, you can get it for short term which may help you get home in case of a mishap.
I hadn't thought of this, but I'll have some time to look more into it as I head west (gambling that nothing will happen before I get out there...) I'm assuming I can sign up on the road if it looks good. Thanks for the suggestion Bruce!
2. To ignore an event until the last minute so as to avoid any expectations of attendance, but then show up anyway.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #2603
motomandan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Dave sorry to hear the news. You and your family are in our prayers. Godspeed
motomandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #2604
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
Thanks guys!

I hadn't thought of this, but I'll have some time to look more into it as I head west (gambling that nothing will happen before I get out there...) I'm assuming I can sign up on the road if it looks good. Thanks for the suggestion Bruce!
Super easy and you should be able to do it online. That's what got Marty, on a private jet, home from New Mexico and last year it got Keith's bike home from Canada. If you get the right program it will also work in foreign countries, wish I would have had this when I was traveling overseas a lot.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #2605
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,933
Paging Gastone!

Free stuff at Cool Cow Comedy

Quote:
If you are a full time Public School Employee, all you have to do is JOIN the Facebook event, SHARE it onto your wall, and email me your current full time position and which school you work for and I'll send you a passcode for a FREE TICKET to see Jason Weems on Saturday, September 6th!
*Limited availability.

Visit my website to get tickets or get further details at www.coolcowcomedy.com.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #2606
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,042
Thx Dana. Meghan and I are looking into it. We haven't been back since we went with you and Bruce. They've moved locales now over to the marriott downtown.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #2607
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Found this somewhere else and thought it was a good read.
Quote:
They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & Sold to the tannery.......if you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor"

But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot......they "didn't have a pot to piss in" & were the lowest of the low

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the 1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June.. However, since they were starting to smell . ...... . Brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting Married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.. Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water!"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof... Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, "Dirt poor." The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way. Hence: a thresh hold.

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire.. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme: Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old. Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon." They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would Sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive... So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer.

And that's the truth....Now, whoever said History was boring
tyvm, Gear fan club
Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #2608
EOD3MC
What will break next

interesting tid bits
Old 08-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #2609
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,764
That was good for a Friday.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #2610
EOD3MC
What will break next

Pretty sure most of us pack out pretty light, but found this in a camping thread and thought that for less than $6 it was worth passing on...

Ultralight Backpacking Canister Camp Stove with Piezo Ignition 3.9oz