Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,444
If you like single wheel trailers just search the adv and also the batte scooters for post on them. Simple to make .
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
rajavw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I made my own box using acoustic guitar body techniques. Worked great on my Alaska trip in 1978 and many trips thereafter. Wider at the front and narrower at the back for aerodynamics. Flat top with cleats to work as a table and tie stuff to while on the road. Quick release to take into the tent at night. Light, strong, efficient storage.

I put my tent, sleeping bag, cloths bag, and foam pad on the front rack. Put it all in a garbage bag during bad weather.

hugemoth,

The lengthwise setup on your Rally 200 along with the extra spare beneath was ingenious. If I could modify my rear rack for this type of setup, I'll be on the right track.

BTW, how long was your journey to Alaska?
rajavw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Total of about 17,000 miles that summer. That included riding all around Canada.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
thats quite the mileage, how many miles did you put on that bike when you had it
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
rajavw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Current Rear Rack

Here is a photo of the present chrome rear rack.

Will remove Leather Tail Bag in order to reinforce the rear rack to facilitate a large Touring Box (24G Rubbermaid Action Packer).
Attached Images

rajavw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajavw View Post
Here is a photo of the present chrome rear rack.

Will remove Leather Tail Bag in order to reinforce the rear rack to facilitate a large Touring Box (24G Rubbermaid Action Packer).
That leather bag would finance any number of other cargo carrying options!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,444
For long trips read this forum about packing everything you need in one bag http://www.1bag1world.com/list/
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #23
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
I have been travelling with full lugage with my scooter and I am more and more of the conviction that using a luggage trailer is by far the best solution!

The design of the scooter as far as the frame is concerned is quite different from the motorcycle. If you toss up the weight on the topcase to high, and add to it the weight of the side cases or soft luggage, then your frame WILL start to "work" sideways. It will twist. Especially at low speeds you will see and feel this.

And no matter how smart you pack your bags and topcase, use the helmet hook and the buddy space, you will never be able to beat the luggage that you can stow in a trailer.

So why not buy an axle, or cheap trailer, and mount a car top box on it and you are ready to go.

I myself am thinking about building a complete trailer from scratch myself. Choose an axle, mount wheels (12") and hitch knob, lighting etc and build an aluminium body on top of it. Not to high, but enough to comfortable take tent, sleeping bags, mats, cooking gear, etc etc etc. Then you have the topcase for refreshments and things you need on the road.
I do not think you can beat this solution.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
If you like single wheel trailers just search the adv and also the batte scooters for post on them. Simple to make .
Do you not have legislation in the US to which such a trailer should comply? We here in Europe have lots of regulations, and one of them is that you are not allowed to have any trailer attached to your motorcycle or scooter in any other way then trough a towing hook. So no single wheel trailer, no fixed mount to the bike, etc etc.

This all makes it a little bit more difficult, and certainly more expensive then the cheap trailer examples we see in the most posts. Motorcycle luggage trailers over here are quite expensive, mostly around 1.500 and upward....

So, I am thinking of building one of my own.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I've got this for christmas (the small one without trolley): http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=...nr_gr=10025295
On my Xciting I can mount it on the pillion seat in addition to a topcase (backrest in forward position) or as a topcase replacement. 60 litres volume inside (without external pockets).
Or take the bigger (but much heavier) one.
But as already mentioned, it is wise to consider the side effects of much/heavy luggage. Not as much as possible, only as much as really needed.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajavw View Post
Thanks for the the Link. I really like this type of hard-core ADV aluminum box. I'm wondering if it could be mounted lengthwise, so it won't stick out on the sides.

Since there is a Welding Class being taught at my school, I should just ride over to the shop one day and talk to the Welding Shop instructor about making me an aluminum box and mounting plate. -- Now that's a brilliant idea!

rajavw
If you mount it lengthwise it will put the weight even further behind your axle and have a bigger negative affect on your handling.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
I bought it used with under 10,000 miles. It had 171,000 when I gave it to my girlfriend. She rode it for a year or so then sold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
thats quite the mileage, how many miles did you put on that bike when you had it
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #28
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 291
Knowing how these bikes handle (I ride a Stella), I'd definitely be looking to keep weight as far forward as possible. Depending much stuff you're bringing, I'd look into a mid-size bag on a front rack, a smaller bag on the floorboard, and then another mid- or large-size bag on the rear. And maybe another small/mid-size bag on the back half of the stock seat. One massive container on the back is going to make handling really weird really quickly, I'd expect.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
We here in Europe have lots of regulations, and one of them is that you are not allowed to have any trailer attached to your motorcycle or scooter in any other way then trough a towing hook. So no single wheel trailer, no fixed mount to the bike, etc etc.

This all makes it a little bit more difficult, and certainly more expensive then the cheap trailer examples we see in the most posts. Motorcycle luggage trailers over here are quite expensive, mostly around 1.500 and upward....

So, I am thinking of building one of my own.
Not certain what you mean by "towing hook"? Looking on the web; there seem to be a range of motorcycle-towed trailers available in Europe; including the single-wheel variety. Indeed, there is even a range of "singlewheel" trailers with TWO wheels. . . . . . That is, a double-wheel bogey is mounted at the rear of trailer, and the trailer banks (along with tow vehicle) while the twin-wheels stay upright.

(1-Wielige aanhanger) Single wheeler from the Nederlands.

Tourmaster Single-wheelers

PAV 40 trailers (made in Czech Republic fifty years ago) are the model for the present-day Inder trailer.

It is usual to use a coupling with just two-axis of articulation (LEFT-to-RIGHT, & UP-and_DOWN) for single-wheel towing with motorcycles and scooters. The UniGo fitting is a good example:

To detach a UniGo coupling, one simply pulls the Split Pin, removes the upper horizontal Pin, then lifts up the slotted lower Pin Ends. The silver-painted vertical-U Bracket remains on the motorcycle.

My own design for a cheap single-wheel trailer is based on the frame of a lightweight delivery handtruck. One contructs a trailing-arm & wheel fitting (could well use scooter parts) and fits the trailing-arm bearings to the fitting which normally attaches the solid axle on the handtruck. (An alternative to that form is to mount the wheel on a simple Quarter Elptic leaf spring- suspension AND wheel location combined!) Some form of single spring & shock is fitted for suspension, then add mudguard, wiring and lighting. Construct a Universal Joint interface (like a UniGo) for attachment to towing vehicle. Provide a electrical wiring connection. Then, all that is required is a hard (or soft) cargo container.

Quarter Elliptic springs- offering wheel mounting & suspension. A much lighter-duty version than pictured is susgested for single-wheel scooter towing use. The Inder uses simply a Rubber Ball in compression!

If one looks at a basic Eaglemate trailer, its easy to understand my idea of starting with a Handtruck . . . .

(NB- concerning that Eaglemate; I'm not impressed by the lack of suspension. The frame gives the impression of being sturdy enough however.)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I bought it used with under 10,000 miles. It had 171,000 when I gave it to my girlfriend. She rode it for a year or so then sold it.
thats awesome! i have to say im surprised somebody would actually buy a scooter with 171000 on it lol