User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
2 Week Tassie Adventure

Summer holidays in South Australia always throw up the problem of where to take a bike trip without expiring, in what can be the exceptional heat of summer.

For quite some time I’d been eyeing off the notion of taking our DR650’s over to Tasmania for a lap of the island during January. So with some dates locked in, planning began…

The first phase of organising the trip involved putting together an intended route that met a few criteria. In general these were:

• seeing as much as we could in the time we had,
• sticking to the dirt wherever possible and
• making it a circuit as much as we could.

I put out feelers to the Tasmanian Riders Hub via the forum and got lots of good suggestions and I poured over many interesting ride reports from those who had been to Tassie before. I also purchased this book

which provided some great ideas for 4x4 tracks that we could possibly incorporate into our circuit.

So, as a way of reliving our trip I’m putting together a fairly comprehensive ride report with plenty of photos of our travels. I’ll include maps in the report, and the gps logs will be posted to this great site:

http://transaustraliatrail.com.au

for downloading.

Bikes and Riders

One 2010 in stock standard form, bar the factory lowering option and the other a 2003 model with a number of mods (Jet kit, Staintune, Front springs, screen etc).

As for the riders, despite a few others showing interest it came down to the old duo of Paul - the man made famous for the homemade barmuffs last winter see here
(http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708222)

And me (Greg)

two riders of average ability but with a motto of giving things a go

Pre departure

To maximize the use of our time we decided to trailer the bikes to Victoria where the car and trailer would be left in Geelong with a mate. With packing complete, it then dawned on us as we began loading up the bikes the night before departure that we’d never actually put the two DR650’s on the trailer before (only one and a smaller bike). After a few adjustments to the barkbusters and handlebars to make things fit,

all was ready for the drive across the border

After an early start we planned it beautifully for a stop at a great bakery in Bordertown for brunch

The rest of the trip was pretty mundane except for a swaying trailer that was cured after we moved some weighty bags off the rear of the bikes to the front of the trailer and filled up the car with fuel.

Day 2

After a good night sleep we awoke to the sound of steady rain. Well, we were in Victoria after all Not the ideal start but a teaser for what lay ahead.

After leaving the safety of the dry garage and with all our wet weather gear on we left Geelong at around 6:30am for a wet and windy run up the M1 Freeway to Port

After missing the turnoff and weaving our way around we eventually hit the line for boarding of the Spirit of Tasmania ferry.

The bikes were tied down with a few others, including a Cagiva Lucky Explorer

And then, right on time, the ferry departed the rain swept Port of Melbourne.

For the journey over we had a daytime sailing – 9 hours to cover the 430km to Devonport. There were plenty of bars, live music, TV’s and even a theatre on board but a fair majority just ignored the signs and sprawled out to sleep wherever they could

Of course as we were a bit more sophisticated we instead chose to stuff our faces at the “all you can pile on the one plate” restaurant

After passing through Pt Phillip Heads the only real bit of excitement was when the sister ship crossed paths with us half way across heading the other way.

Finally, Devonport came into view

and we disembarked, only to find gridlock at the quarantine inspection centre. Luckily for us they waved us to the front of the line and we were soon on our way

By the time we got going it was around 6:30pm. Our plan for the trip was to bush camp as much as possible, with the occasional stay in a caravan park to grab a shower and do some washing. I’d checked Google Earth as part of my planning and spied what looked like a likely area for a stealth camp about 14km out of town on the Mersey River. We found the area pretty easily but the campsites near the track didn’t look great. Then we came to this track blocked by a broken down tree

after a bit of branch rearrangement

We snuck the bikes through

and continued along the track down to the river where we found a bit of a “Deliverance” campsite, complete with a homemade bar and burnt out old Magna

It wasn’t long before we had camp set up (that bar made a great table )

and Paul was lucky to see a platypus after we went down to check out the Mersey River which was just below the campsite.

Despite keeping one ear out for the camp owners returning in the middle of the night, I heard nobody squealing like a pig and slept well

To be continued...

bull600 screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 06:27 PM Reason: added map
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
antipode
Wanderer

Oddometer: 551
This is going to be good
Old 01-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Thumb Looking forward to this RR

What was the shipping charges for your bike and yourself ?
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Great RR

looking forward to the rest of this.
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
I'm in.

Tassie is on my Bucket List, right near the top.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy60 View Post
looking forward to the rest of this.
+1

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Arek Kontrol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253

I live more in 5 minutes on my motorcycle than some people live in a lifetime...
Arek Kontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Looking good
The sound of devils screaming in the middle of the night can be a bit off putting hey!
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
What was the shipping charges for your bike and yourself ?
The total cost for the ferry worked out to be a little over $500 each. This was for a day sail one way, shared 4 berth sleeper on the return and the two bikes. Of that, the bikes were only about $56 each one way.

Cheers
Old 01-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,113
that camp site is only just up the road........i should have got the Banjo out

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Billy Pilgrim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
+ another 1
Billy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
that camp site is only just up the road........i should have got the Banjo out
I knew that was really the Cahulawassee River
Old 01-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3

It didn’t take long to pack up camp and head back towards Devonport to start our loop around the island. The weather forecast wasn’t great but we decided on a anticlockwise route so hit the Bass Highway and headed west along the northern coastline
Soon we hopped off the freeway and followed the coast road that ran adjacent to the railway line

until we entered the small township of Penguin. Where of course there is a

Then it was on through Burnie (you wouldn’t be seen dead here for a weekend ) and Wynyard. From there we diverted over to Table Cape where a great view back towards Wynyard could be had

It was here we saw the first sign of a rather unusual crop grown uniquely in Tasmania

apparently they are the world’s largest producer of opium alkaloids for the pharmaceutical market. They look cool to

After checking out the lighthouse we continued on past Boat Harbor Beach

and then on to the small town of Stanley where the stump of an old volcano, known locally as “The Nut”, dominates the skyline

This rather quaint little town provided a us a bit of a break and snack as the threatening rainclouds started to move in

Once out of Stanley our route aimed to take us along some dirt starting down Tierney’s road past South Forest, Mengah, Lileah and Nabageena before joining Roger River Road. We stopped for our last fuel for some time just out of Stanley and the heavens opened up, prompting Paul to pull out his secret weapon - waterproof (supposedly) green, industrial gloves used in the printing industry (aka big dishwashing gloves

The rain was off and on for most of the way but it was a pleasant ride through farm and forest countryside

One of the things I’d found when researching the trip was that the popular South Arthur Forest Drive loop was not available due to the Tayatea bridge still not having been rebuilt (Rapid River Bridge is also washed out). A bit slack seeing it was washed away in the floods of 2007. I guess the lack of logging opportunities in there may have something to do with the delay :wink

The Kanunnah Bridge over the Arthur River was a great spot

A few kms up the hill from the river crossing along Sumac Road we found the lookout

Where a great view of the river is found after a short walk

It was then back to the main road and off towards the beginning of the Western Explorer

It was at this spot that we stopped to take a few photos and the first car we’d seen since Stanley came towards us from the direction of Corrina. As it approached the T-junction it’s brakes squealed terribly and it slowly to a stop. Next minute a rather concerned elderly gent with a bad case of kyphosis alighted to see what the racket was. It sounded like a stone had become wedged in the brake rotor. After a bit of digging around with a pocket knife Paul was able to get it out much to their relief.

After many thanks the guy then asked.. “Do you know where we are on the map?”. Needless to say we sent them off towards their next destination of Stanley

The Western Explorer traverses through the famous wilderness area of North West Tasmania known as the Tarkine. The gravel road itself is quite a good surface and winds through a variety of different terrain. From rainforests

Over pristine rivers like the Lindsey and Donaldson

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/mKH9GJ]

and through a mixture of plains and forests

At one point we stopped to take a few photos at a high point on the road

Imagine our disgust when we got off the bikes to find the area was not just a photo point but a full blown toilet, complete with shit covered paper spread far and wide You’ve got to love those tourists

How ironic that not long after we come across this

Bushfire damage from 2008 was also evident as we got closer to Corrina

By now the rain had started up again so we thought it might be good to start looking for a camp as we reached some old logged forest closer to Corrina. It wasn’t long before Paul’s keen eye spotted a disused track heading into the forest

We split up at a junction a little further in and went looking for a clearing

A few minutes later – jackpot. A nice cleared spot with plenty of room for our camp

Our constant companion of rain meant the first thing we did was set up a shelter and start drying out some soggy wood

With a break in the rain we both scurried out of the shelter to put our tents up, only to find a major hurdle

The reason the area was clear now became obvious. It must have been an old dump area for rock when making the logging roads. Try as we might we could not get those fucking pegs in more than a few inches. Of course half way through the exercise of trying every square of the clearing the rain would start and we would have to cover the tents with a tarp

Finally, after quite a bit of trying we conceded we’d have to move the tents into the forest and luckily found some flat spots not far in from the clearing

Getting some extra water certainly wasn’t a problem with a 4lt container taking about a minute to fill off the back of the shelter

As the evening wore on we got a feed cooked

and then retired to the sound of rain pummeling the tents in the forest. Ahhh summer on the west coast of Tassie

To be continued…

bull600 screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 06:54 PM Reason: Change photo links
Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Dash65
wherethefarkarewe?

Oddometer: 303
Laugh Rr

Nice RR, look forward to more.

Cheers,
Dash

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional
Dash65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,113
well at least the Link rd was wet or you two would love the Dust you get on there

.......the Tarkine seems to have grown lots and lots since the 60's and 70's.........so much so it covers huge area's

much of the original Tarkine was logged in the 60's by the Ellis Brothers (the same ones that own or owned much of cradle valley) the old man had a lot to do with them in the old days as they had the best vehicles to go over the button grass.........to pull him out of the bog

But then the Greenies know much better than those that live on the west coast

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote