Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #61
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,553
Good one Greg, Tassie is sure worth a visit.

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #62
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 802
Very wet...but cool

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #63
Steamy Moose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I like the no trespassing or shooting - this is a punishable offence by dept of defence - translation, any one that is stupid enough to will be shot by a tank...

Did you guys keep tabs on your the nitty gritty info like fuel expenditure / amount used?
Steamy Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #64
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Moose View Post
I like the no trespassing or shooting - this is a punishable offence by dept of defence - translation, any one that is stupid enough to will be shot by a tank...

Did you guys keep tabs on your the nitty gritty info like fuel expenditure / amount used?

only we dont have any tanks down here but they use to get hunting party's crossing over the firing range chasing the dogs they even chased a pack of dogs through a platoon and the hunters didn't even know they were there

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #65
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Moose View Post

Yeah have some stats re fuel and costings that I'll post at the end... if anyones left

Cheers

bull600 screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 03:17 AM
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #66
Crofty
Life's a Garden, DIG IT!

Oddometer: 590
Great work, keep it coming!
Crofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #67
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #68
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 13

It was excellent to wake up to the sound of the river almost at the foot of our tent

After an early morning wash in the frigid water

we packed up camp and headed off

The Intake Bride is right on the intersection of the St Columba Falls Road so we thought we’d have a quick look at the falls.

There is a track that leads to a viewing platform that was ‘under repair’ so we decided to be lazy and just take a look from a distance in the car park area

Our first chore for the day was to head into Pyengana and get some fuel. This was little more difficult than first thought, as there didn’t really seem to be much in the way of facilities there. We drove through town and seemed to be heading out the other side with still no fuel in sight. This wasn’t in the plan as I was sure I’d checked to ensure they had some. So back to the only place that was open to ask

Of course there was fuel, it was just out on the other side of town on the Tasman Highway

So once full of fuel we headed back - again, and took the dirt (Kohls Road) on our way through to Mathinna. Maybe it’s the light but it’s always nice when starting a ride in the early morning and as we wound our way south we again had some great views through the farm and forest countryside

This whole area contained many logging roads so there are always plenty of options but we decided on

that took us through more forests

I guess Paul was still thankful that the rack had held up

As we approached Mathinna we ducked up on top of one of the hills and saw the township in the distance

Mathinna itself was like so many of the little towns we had passed through on our travels. A range of intriguing houses

Many with their own little quirks

But unfortunately many also showing the signs of the times, with small businesses often closed down

After looking around the town for a bit we then continued on the Upper Esk Road before turning off on Hughes Road. This took us through one of the few areas where we actually saw active logging taking place

It was when we picked up Roses Tier Road that we met a sign that made us stop (for a second)

mmmm... this may be worth a look. I’d heard on the grapevine that a landslip had closed the road but it might be possible to get through (Thanks Flickit). The first defence wasn’t much

But then we came to a blockade that was a little more consolidated so we went for a walk

The road was damaged but it wasn’t an issue for the bikes

So with a bit of gardening

We were able to squeeze our way through and continue on our way

From there it wasn’t far to the turn off to the Ben Lomond National Park

Ben Lomond Mountain, with its steep and rugged cliffs is an imposing sight as you wind your way

The day was fine and the views were superb out over the surrounding countryside

Once near the top the famous switchback of ‘Jacob’s Ladder’ is reached

Then once up on top of the plateau it’s a short run up to the ski fields

There wasn’t much to see at this time of the year so we began heading back down. It was then that a rather large tiger snake took exception to me riding on the same road as him and reared up as I went past

Back down the “Ladder”

Until we reached the camping area where the hut provided a nice spot to stop for a spot of lunch

Once off the mountain we decided on a slightly longer route via the dirt of Ragged Jack Road and then headed eastward through the farming districts around Deddington

We skirted past the towns of Evandale, Perth and Toiberry but had a do a double take when we came across this house in Bishopsbourne

Then the flat plains gave way to the hills again as we got closer to Liffey

Initially, we had planned to head to Mole Creek via Meander but after consulting the map at the intersection

we decided to head north to Deloraine just to be safe with fuel. As we were fuelling up we saw another loaded up DR650 come into the pumps

We soon recognised the distinctive bike of Glen, a guy from the Northern Territory who we had met 3 days ago when we stayed in the caravan park near Hobart. It was good to catch up with him and he had a few miles to go before he got to Cradle Mountain where he had booked in for the night

We had planned our last night on the ‘Apple Isle’ (just where are those apples anyway ) to be in a caravan park. Although we’d had the occasional wash there had only been a few showers so we felt it only fair that as we were sharing a 4 berth cabin on the overnight ferry ride home, that we didn’t stink

Mole Creek was where we ended up and the small caretaker run park was an excellent choice. Great showers, fires if you wanted and only $10 a night

We set up our tents on the banks of Sassafras Creek that runs along the edge of the park

This creek was a beauty, rises and falling a small amount over a short period due to the influence of the nearby karst features. We saw some trout darting around but the highlight was a platypus that swam slowly along the creek just on dusk, ambivalent it seemed to the people who followed its progress as it worked its way along the stream

After a wonderful shower we popped into town for a great meal at the local pub and then returned to our tents for our last night on the island

To be continued...

bull600 screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 03:46 AM
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #69
TerryK
Ulysses

Bloody good read

Cheers Terry

Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #70
Steamy Moose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull600 View Post
Yeah have some stats re fuel and costings that I'll post at the end... if anyones left

Cheers
look forward to the figures mate
Steamy Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #71
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 14

Our last day in Tassie dawned cool and foggy

On my initial route planning I had set aside this day to visit Cradle Mountain and then pretty well head straight back to Devonport for the overnight sailing to Melbourne. After flicking through my “Off Road Tasmania” book we decided to incorporate a few 4x4 tracks as a bit of loop before we reached Cradle Mountain, to best utilise every last minute we had

We headed off along some nice gently winding roads

Before crossing the Mersey River at Liena

It was then onto the dirt via Old Gad’s Hill Road

We started our loop by taking Olivers Road. It cut through the edge of the Mole Creek Karst National Park, where we crossed the Mersey River once again

Just over the bridge on the right we found a fantastic little free camping area, with the ability to set up right near the banks of the river. A great spot to aim for if you’re in the area and looking for a campsite

We then followed the river south along Mersey Forest Road until we reached Lake Parangana. Soon after that we turned off onto Bare Hill Road

After travelling about 6kms along the road it then veered to the left but we continued straight ahead along a 4x4 track which led to the Borradaile Plains. As we travelled across this high plain area it was like looking through a huge tree graveyard, with just the occasional giant spared during logging operations

The track then passed through more forest

Before we reached Lemonthyme Road that took us to the power station of the same name

From the power station we then took the track towards Lorinna. This little settlement is apparently not connected to the power grid, even though it’s on the edge of Lake Cethana which was created as part of the hydro electric system in this area.

The small numbers of residents apparently prefer a more ‘alternative lifestyle’ but there were no real hippies in sight , in fact besides the old little railway station someone had restored (hiding behind a high fence), there wasn’t much to see

After passing the last of the houses we came to an intersection and stopped briefly to check the GPS. At the same time, a guy in a car came down the track to our right “You know that roads closed don’t you?” he said.. “No I didn’t actually – why’s that?” I replied. “Coz it’s fucked, that why!”

Now I was a bit confused at this point because the through route had appeared in my Tassie Off Road ‘bible’. However, in the dark recesses of my mind I had a feeling I’d read during my research something about this track being closed. After a bit more of a chat our local then informed us that it had in fact been closed a couple of years. He initially was pretty adamant that we should turn back and head out the way we’d come in but after a bit more chatting he said that if we were really careful we may get the bikes through if we were very careful. That was enough for us so we headed off!

The first barrier gate was a breeze but it soon become obvious it hadn’t been used it quite a while

Trees had fallen over the road. Some we dragged off, some we went around and some under

Eventually we found the real reason for its closure... part of it had been badly washed away on a corner

There was a way across on the bikes but off to the side where the road had slipped away there was a sheer drop

Funny how a reasonably simple section becomes a lot more challenging in your mind when you know what will happen if you tip over one side

Once past that there was a great feeling of having this leaf covered road all to ourselves as we continued on. It was the first time in quite a while where we didn’t have to think about what would happen if another vehicle came quickly around a bend

All too quickly it was finished and another gate appeared in our path

From this end they were a bit more serious about keeping people out but Paul managed to scrape his way past while I took a duck up the hill and around

Later, out of interest, I checked it out and sure enough the update webpage of “Off Road Tasmania” had the track listed as closed since 2009

It was with a heavy heart that we dragged ourselves away from the dirt for the last time and hit the road to Cradle Mountain. Mind you, with roads like this it wasn’t too hard to take

As we got closer we kept a keen eye out for giant kangaroos

The Cradle Mountain area is probably one of the most popular tourist destinations in the whole of Tasmania. As a result it is very highly managed to control the hordes of tourists that visit. A large car park with the National Parks Centre and café is located about 9km from the end of the road. It was all was a bit confusing as it wasn’t clear if you had to leave your vehicle there and take a shuttle bus or you could drive on up. We just rode on until we came to automatic boom gate that luckily let us through

Once past the gate the road narrowed down and it became a case of ‘dodge the shuttle buses’ until the final car park on the edge of Dove Lake was reached

To do the area real justice requires taking one of the many extended walks that are available in the National Park. However, with only short time available, for us it was really a matter of just getting a taste of what the area has to offer. We took a walk along the edge of Dove Lake, stopping at Glacier Rock.

It’s an impressive place and Paul was suitably humbled

It was amazing to think that the week before while we were getting drenched on the west coast it was snowing here

With time ticking on we finished our walk, suited up again and began the final leg back to Devonport. We passed through Moina and then Wilmont, where we stopped briefly to look at the “Valley of Views” across Lake Barrington.

From there we followed the Forth River before finally arrived back in Devonport in the late afternoon.

Our plan was to find a spot to get changed and organise a bit of gear to take on the boat for our overnight stay. We scouted around near the ferry terminal and found the perfect place at a park nearby

Once freshened up we decided that our craving for ice cream could be subdued no longer so we dropped into an IGA store across the road and then settled down to half a block of Streets ‘Viennetta’ each

We though the smart thing to do would be to get on the ferry as early as possible where it was more comfortable. Our ticket said they began loading 2.5 hours before scheduled departure so we timed it to perfection. Of course we weren’t the only smart ones because there was already a crown there when we arrived and they had yet to open the gates.

We lined up with the rest of the bikes and they soon began to load up the cars. We all waited and waited and waited… slowly frying in the evening sun.

Row after row of cars, vans, trucks and every other conceivable vehicle loaded but the poor old bikes were left until the very last… 2 hours we had all waited. Not Happy Jan

It did give us a chance to chat to the others on bikes and meet a few characters, including a guy from Perth who had flown to Devonport to pick up a Harley trike that he had purchased from a local

It was a nice looking machine even if he had trouble starting it when the call for us to load was finally made and he was left on the start line for a while. Finally we got the bikes tied down

and set sail for the mainland. After pigging out once more at the ‘Captain’s Table’ restaurant we found our cabin, took a shower and hit the sack it what was a very comfortable (albeit small) 4 berth cabin.

Just like on the way over the ride was smooth with flat seas and right on 6:30am we arrived back in Melbourne

After Paul had completed his final homage to the unknown God of saving racks (or was he perhaps, sending a message to all Victorians )

We alighted the ferry and headed for a nearby car park where we donned our riding gear for the run back to Geelong

The trip back down the M1 Freeway was uneventful and after getting the bike all loaded up on the trailer we headed off for the boring run home to Adelaide

So, our trip was over . We had experienced all sorts of weather, met many wonderful people, soaked up the beauty of the island and more than anything, had a fantastic time on the bikes

An American writer, William Trogdon, summed it up best:

“Be careful going in search of adventure - it's ridiculously easy to find”

Hope you enjoyed the “ride”

Cheers

bull600 screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 05:05 AM
Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #72
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 312
I am glad that you both had a great time here in Tassie just makes me realize what a beautiful state we have here. There's plenty to see and do.
Great pictures and a great ride report

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #73
TerryK
Ulysses

Good read Greg, we enjoyed Tassie last year but took a different route altogether....Even had 7c on top of the mountain at Hobart in Jan (summer)

4 seasons in one day is possible in Tassie for sure, nice place & must get back soon.

Looking forward to the next adventure, cheers Terry

Old 02-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #74
Trotski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Positively excellent report bloke can't wait for the next one

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger Hammer
Trotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #75
NightShadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Great ride report . You posted up some really nice photos.
NightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote