Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #61
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
My Miata wasn't capable of keeping me off bikes, but it was fun.

Your first Miata, or subsequent one(s)? This car isn't 'keeping me off bikes".

This is my first convertible so I'm just enjoying it. I'll not NEVER ride again, I'm just taking a break.
95% of my riding was commuting and I'm enjoying the sunshine, and smells without having to dress up.
My daughter has no interest in riding with me, and I'm with her a few days a week.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #62
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post

This is my first convertible so I'm just enjoying it. I'll not NEVER ride again, I'm just taking a break.
95% of my riding was commuting and I'm enjoying the sunshine, and smells without having to dress up.
My daughter has no interest in riding with me, and I'm with her a few days a week.
Honestly I've been fighting urges to quit riding, and the miata isn't helping me fight them. My issue is I hate riding in NJ (traffic, potholes, dangerously stupid drivers) and it takes at least an hour to get anywhere worth riding. By the time I get where I want to START riding, I'm tired and weary.
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #63
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburroughs12 View Post
Miatas are a hoot to drive. My first one was a 94 with a soft top, just picked this bad boy up, a 99 touring edition with a hard top. Anyone who says the miata keeps them off two wheels is obviously doing something wrong. This is how I rode 4 hours to my race this past weekend.

Where'd ya get the hitch?

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #64
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
My neighbor had a 2012 Boss 302, he sold it a few weeks ago and bought a 99 (I think) M edition Miata. It has been built and has a turbo, pushing around 260-280 HP is what I was told. Oh, and tires and brakes are much cheaper than on the Boss

No longer street legal, built for racing...

RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #65
jburroughs12
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Where'd ya get the hitch?
The car actually came with the hitch installed. I bought the ball mount, ball and wired up the lights one afternoon. Barely noticed the trailer back there, and got 25-28mpg cruising at 60-70 mph. Best tow rig I have ever had. Granted, the combined weight of the bike and trailer is only about 500 lbs.
jburroughs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #66
Mike.Gail
Intentionally Blank

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
My neighbor had a 2012 Boss 302, he sold it a few weeks ago and bought a 99 (I think) M edition Miata. It has been built and has a turbo, pushing around 260-280 HP is what I was told. Oh, and tires and brakes are much cheaper than on the Boss

No longer street legal, built for racing...

WILL YOU PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST AND YOUR OWN MOTHER FIX THE HEADLIGHT COVERS??? *huff huff huff huff*

Seriously. It takes like a minute, total. Pop the hood and pull up till they tension, then drop the hood and boom, you're done. Might take a little bit of tuning but not much if any.

"Injuries are the price we pay for not having sat around on our asses!" - Steve in ATL
Mike.Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #67
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post

I've only had one Miata, the '00 I kept for three and a half years. I had delusions of a nice trip down the blue ridge parkway with the top down for a couple of days, but each time I had a chance to go that direction I took a motorcycle. So I mainly wound up using it to commute to work or run errands on those days when I didn't physically feel up to riding, yet still wanted to enjoy the weather. Or I'd use it on those days when there was a chance of rain in the afternoon, yet the rest of the day was going to be nice. It became a crutch to help me get away from the mentality that I had to ride all the time in all weather, which was probably a good thing considering some of the really bad stuff I rode through and unnecessary risks I took at the height of the time period in which I was determined to use a motorcycle for all travel and commuting as long as there wasn't snow or ice on the roads.

I loved the little car and had wanted one since they came out in the late '80's. But ultimately I found myself staring at small block conversions, turbo kits, and all kinds of other things that were likely to ruin what I loved so much about the car all in the name of speed and G force. The great thing about a stock Miata is the fact that the gas pedal doesn't get you into a lot of trouble. You can do silly things with the car and get away with it, because the power to handling is so well balanced. Additionally, you can hone the daylights out of them in stock form with no reliability penalty and get around 30 mpg. When you modify them to go fast you throw the equation out of balance, and the car suffers in some way or loses some portion of what makes a Miata so great. Ultimately my desire to own at least one really fast car in my life before I can't afford the fuel bill won out, and I sold the Miata to help pay for the worked over Shelby GT 500 I now own instead of modifying the Miata. I was able to rationalize the loss of a convertible because I still own a 2009 Wrangler Rubicon that has both tops, so I can make it a convertible in the summer. The Shelby doesn't handle quite like a Miata, but the Miata doesn't go like a Shelby. What little the Shelby gives up to the Miata in handling is offset 10 times over by the thrill from the ridiculousness that lies under the driver's right foot.

At this point the only thing I miss about my NB is the mileage. When I realized my Rubicon was a roomier, nicer riding, quieter ride than the Miata - and I enjoyed those things about it - I knew it was time for the Miata to go to a new owner. However, should I ever tire of the Shelby I could see myself going for a nice Boxter S, or potentially a retractable hardtop NC/N-whatever is newest at the time. My dad drives an '08 retractable hardtop and it is a MUCH nicer, roomier two seater than my NB was. Some people bitch about that very thing and say Mazda ruined the "little roadster" feel when they made the car bigger, but as I get older I find I'm appreciating a little more comfort for my aching bones, and a lot less noise for my perpetually ringing ears

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified

Bueller screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 05:03 PM
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #68
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

No longer street legal, built for TRACKDAYS...

fixxed

not a single class in ANY organization where that car is legal
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #69
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
fixxed

Technicalluy it could qualify under the NASA rules for ST as long as the cage is legal...
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/s...sification.pdf

No i did not do the calculations but slight adjustments could be made ..

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #70
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
Technicalluy it could qualify under the NASA rules for ST as long as the cage is legal...
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/s...sification.pdf

No i did not do the calculations but slight adjustments could be made ..
TTU.

lol
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #71
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
fixxed

Probably true, but still a hoot!

You're out at Cresson a lot aren't you? My neighbor bought the Miata from a guy that lives there. Apparently that guy has a couple of Vipers, maybe a Ferrari and Lamborghini in his garage.

Anyway, my neighbor goes there a lot for trackdays. He isn't in any racing leagues or anything, but he says this Miata qualifies for some sort of Miata racing that he could join if he wanted.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #72
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I've had the same '91 for seven years. Still brings a grin to my face to drive it. It's just...driving. Nothing more, nothing less.

Only lately am I finally starting to think about replacing it. Looking at all kinds of vehicles and really coming to the conclusion that I want another lightweight RWD roadster. Miatas are so plentiful, I'll probably end up with a newer one. I'm also eying the MR2 spyder but those are actually pretty rare around these parts.
How about a super clean used E30? Man, practical, flickable and if you find an IS already has good suspension and brakes, and stuff. Really clean ones can be had with under 100k on them for nothing as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #73
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,292
Oh, and I no longer hack on Miatas or Miata drivers, those things are fun!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #74
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Oh, and I no longer hack on Miatas or Miata drivers, those things are fun!
On behalf of all of us past, present, and future, apology accepted

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #75
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburroughs12 View Post
The car actually came with the hitch installed. I bought the ball mount, ball and wired up the lights one afternoon. Barely noticed the trailer back there, and got 25-28mpg cruising at 60-70 mph. Best tow rig I have ever had. Granted, the combined weight of the bike and trailer is only about 500 lbs.
Thanks for the info.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: