User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Lawrence908 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Forestry Trunk Rd, May long 2014

I'm new to the world of dual-sport with big plans for a trip to South America in the fall. I figured what better way to indoctrinate myself into the ways of the unpaved than to just go for it. Here's a little write up as I also practice my skill of documenting the trip.

I had a four day weekend and decided that Forestry Trunk Road here in Alberta was close enough and a tame enough adventure for a first timer to tackle. After messing around for a day, getting the tires swapped and the Barkbusters on I was ready to go.
I had tried the Super Tenere's stock Battlewings on dirt, and then gave the K60's a dirt road or two and decided they would get me where I needed to go.
I took Elk River Road just out of Drayton Valley and had a cool experience learning to ride the thick gravel. The dust kicked up by the logging and oilfield trucks was difficult but I was happy to get the bike dirty.
Linking up with Forestry Trunk Rd was a good because the road was more enjoyable to ride, less gravel, more dirt. I tried to check out Brazeau river but I'm pretty sure I went to the wrong spot, all I found was some smaller campsites and a nice patch of mud my tires didn't want to get me out of. Still happy to get the bike dirty.
I pushed on past Nordegg hoping to make the next day of riding easier and once the elevation started going up and the rain started to come down I went back a km or two to a nice spot for a campsite I saw on my way by.
Went to sleep shortly after setting up the tent hoping to get an early start the next day, however the rain and low temps kept me in the bag an extra hour. Woke up to the rain, packed up in the rain, took off in the rain.
The experience to come riding a road coated in a an inch or two of mud was definitely difficult but I was definitely having fun. It seemed to get better once I was out of the high elevation. A couple oh Sh!* moments with the bike on a 45 degree angle and me sticking a leg out getting sprayed with mud from the front tire.
I cut off the road earlier than planned not wanting to go another 3 hours in the elevation and the 6 degree celsius temperatures in the rain. I love riding, but the rain makes enjoying it difficult.
I chalk this up to a great first experience and quite a few lessons learned.

Picking up my tires the economical way!

Easy enough with a 'How to' the Super Tenere forum.

Always sad to see litter in nature.

Set up for the night, still nice and dry...for now.

Rain, perfect.

The last picture I took before the mud adventure.
Wish good cameras were waterproof, and that my numb hands could overcome the painful though of going glove-less long enough to take a few snapshots. Next time I'll bring the GoPro.

Doing my post riding drills the night I got home. 11pm arrival makes it a 14 hour day of riding. Probably 10 hours in the rain. Awesome.

Lawrence908 screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 06:14 PM Reason: spelling
Lawrence908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Good pics, nice bike.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Oddometer: 1,192
well done!

Great pictures of the "new" tenere'. My 2012 seems a little outdated already! not sure how that can happen. What kind of tires did you mount? They look like Heidenaus? Are you planning on panniers for your big trip?

calan818 screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 08:31 PM
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Lawrence908 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post
Great pictures of the "new" tenere'. My 2012 seems a little outdated already! not sure how that can happen. What kind of tires did you mount? They look like Heidenaus? Are you planning on panniers for your big trip?
Thanks!

It's funny how it seems that way, but they'll never stop coming out with 'new' models with updated features. A few years from now both of our bikes will be old and used, but let's hope the Tenere sticks around for good with constant upgrades!

They are the K60's you got it.
Originally looking for the Mitas E-07's but they're not in stock for another month or so, figured I'd use these up and then have the E-07's to throw on and compare the two. These did a great job as far as being capable on mud and highway. A little noisy but not so bad with headphones or earplugs in and that's how I highway ride anyways.

I've got panniers on order now. I looked over a ton of designs and really liked the Holan models. There's lots of options for size and customization. The only downside is the wait time, the manufacture on order and they come out of Poland so wait time is 45-60 days apparently. Hoping to get mine mid June. That way I can have most of my setup ready for a 2-3 week test run over the summer covering most of BC. I can nail my routine down and really figure out points to improve on. Some hurdles you can't jump over until you come to them but I'll do my best to prepare for the others.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
NavyDOc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Great pics! Any issues with tire pressure bleeding off on the front? Have heard that is an issue with the front Heidi. How was the traction from the rear on the wet pavement? I am considering a set of these for my '13 GSW but, after reading a lot of reviews, I am scared the harder compound may make getting grip on wet tarmac an issue.
NavyDOc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Lawrence908 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDOc View Post
Great pics! Any issues with tire pressure bleeding off on the front? Have heard that is an issue with the front Heidi. How was the traction from the rear on the wet pavement? I am considering a set of these for my '13 GSW but, after reading a lot of reviews, I am scared the harder compound may make getting grip on wet tarmac an issue.
Thanks.

No issues with the tire pressure bleeding,. I believe that issue was dealt with but I could be wrong and thinking about the Mitas E-07s that had a similar issue.

The traction was good. I came off the dirt after a few hours and was hesitant at first on the pavement. It was raining all day and this was the first time with these K60's wet. I went lightly into each corner and definitely didn't push hard or anything like that but I felt absolutely no slipping. I read most of those kinds of comments too so I was apprehensive but I had no issues and by the end of the day I was riding fairly normal with them. I'd say unless you plan on really throttling through the corners and getting a good lean on, I think they're pretty safe in wet conditions and normal riding.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
NavyDOc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks for the good info. I think I may try a set of these on my GS once the OEM Conti Trail Attacks wear out.
NavyDOc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Beautiful country you have up there. Thanks for the report & pics.
windblown101 is online now   Reply With Quote