Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #76
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
Since going to Mexico's Copper Canyon region the first time last March I've become a junkie for anything Mexico. We'll be returning again in a Month & can't wait to get on the road.
We did do a day ride from Los Mochis to Topolobambo & had lunch at the Ship looking restaurant at the port your arrived at.

Really enjoying your RR & following along!

Sleddog
Hey Sleddog thanks for the comments. Mexico really grows on a person - the people are super and there immense variety of things to experience here.

Have a great trip and ride safe.
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #77
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 23 - Feb 8

Interesting day today. Rode a spectacular road, got pulled over in two checkpoints, got lost in a good sized town and was held up by banditos.

Started off sleeping in till 6:15, having lost an hour yesterday.

After stopping in Manzanillo for gas and a taco breakfast, was stopped in an Army checkpoint – they wanted to check my side cases – pokes around a bit. Doesn’t look in anything else. Did find my disc lock which is in a small case and quite heavy – thought he’d found a gun. Looked it over pretty carefully before tossing it back.

GPS was confused or I was confused but wound up on the Cuota to Colima – took about 10km before I could find a break in the barrier between the lanes and do a U-Turn.

Return to Tecoman, get in the city and don’t realize immediately the GPS is not following the highway through town but just a straight line across the town. For some reason it isn’t routing in this city an just drew a line from the highway at one end connected to the highway at the other end. These electronic gizmos are a great tool but sometime we (I) get lazy and rely on them too much when we should be using some common sense.

Wandered around town for a while looking for the highway and coming down a side street, run across a bunch of Transit Police – one of them waves me over. Uh oh. Turns out they were just pulling all motorcycles over and checking licenses. Guy wrote some stuff down from my license and told me to go. Finally deduced the highway and got out of town.

Lots of banana plantations south of Manzanillo for quite a ways. Lot of very large fields of palms are planted with young banana trees. Wonder if they’ll take out the palms when the bananas start producing. Interesting to see. They put blue plastic bags over the ripening bunches of bananas – I’m guessing to protect them from bugs and birds but might help them mature better also.

Got held up by banditos – wanted money. Here I am whistling around a corner and they pull up a cable across the road. Scared the shit out of me but I had my wits about me and didn't argue, just paid. Fortunately had my camera on.

Trying to make it to Playa Azul but the frickin road is so bent, I keep having to slow down. What a fantastic stretch of pavement. No traffic, endless curves. What a great time! Spectacular views as the road went up and down – sometimes a bit inland other times amazing views of beautiful white, empty beaches.

Had to watch out for varmints though. Tons of burros and the odd flock of goats.

Was going to be after 6 by the time I got to planned destination, Playa Azul and I thought I should find a place before then. Bahia Bufadero looked about right and it looked like it had some hotels.

Before I was close to Bahia Bufadero, I realized I was needing gas and should have filled up in Tecoman. Anyhow, see the next Pemex is about 60 km in Bahia Bufadero and that fits with getting a room there. Fuel warning light on for 40 km, see the Pemex sign in the distance, come around the corner and here is a fairly large and fairly new station . . . closed. WTF? Oh well, my spare gas will get me to the next Pemex on the list.

So, might as well get a room. Well here’s a small town with some pretty nice hotels and everything is empty. Stopped at three and decided to stay at the third one – seemed ok. Nobody seems to have internet.

Had me park through the lobby next to the little pool in the courtyard (see her in the far corner). Quite nice place for 400p.

Ate across the street at a mother daughter outdoor restaurant. Basic food but good.

RexBuck screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 06:15 AM
Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #78
a.j.44
Frozen 6 months a yr

Oddometer: 56
Road Tax

How much did the little Bandita get off you for the road tax?
Great R/R keep it coming.
a.j.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #79
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 816
Banditos

Thats illegal. The red flag they used on the cable is too small. Well below the legal limits.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #80
Vernonpedro
Gravelrash

Oddometer: 8
Banditos

Yeah, but that's about all the bandito that the old guy could handle, BJ. Only saw coins going in the cup, no folding notes Trip's looking pretty good, Stevo - will you still be willing to ride with us lesser mortals this summer???? Take care Steve. Pedro
Vernonpedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #81
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernonpedro View Post
Yeah, but that's about all the bandito that the old guy could handle, BJ. Only saw coins going in the cup, no folding notes Trip's looking pretty good, Stevo - will you still be willing to ride with us lesser mortals this summer???? Take care Steve. Pedro
He is the same way with the Salvation Army kettle. Pull out the bankroll and slip them a quarter. "uno momento"

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #82
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,634

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #83
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.j.44 View Post
How much did the little Bandita get off you for the road tax?
Great R/R keep it coming.
I honestly don't know. I was more worried about someone whipping around that corner and nailing me so I just grabbed some coins and stuffed them in - probably 10 or 15 pesos.

Thanks for following along a.j.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Thats illegal. The red flag they used on the cable is too small. Well below the legal limits.
May have been too small but it sure worked. Of course down here they aren't into a lot of rules - they'll rip up a road - no signs, nothing - just expect you to figure out what to do in a nanosecond. Actually works pretty well.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernonpedro View Post
You are right. But she was so cute, she could have had my bike if she wanted.

Thanks for following along Pedro. And I'll certainly be up for some riding - need some practice trying to keep up with you anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
He is the same way with the Salvation Army kettle. Pull out the bankroll and slip them a quarter. "uno momento"
Ahh, so you know that trick also . . .
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #84
pchGS
Mark

Oddometer: 97
Great stuff, would love to have the time to do both sides of the country. But at least I'm gonna get Baja in at the end of the month.

Safe travels!
pchGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #85
chilango13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Nice RR

Uno Momento!...did you really get scared?...keep those pictures coming!!!
chilango13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #86
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchGS View Post
Great stuff, would love to have the time to do both sides of the country. But at least I'm gonna get Baja in at the end of the month.

Safe travels!
Thanks for your comments pchGS

You are going to have a great time in the Baja. Have a great and safe trip and thanks for following along with me.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #87
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilango13 View Post
Uno Momento!...did you really get scared?...keep those pictures coming!!!
In the first second when I saw that rope across the road, I had about 20 possibilites running through my head. Didn't see anyone around like this

so, relaxed a little.

Thanks for following along chilango13
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #88
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
bandito

Good to see it was the good bandito that persuaded you to stop!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #89
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 23 – Feb 9

With no internet - nothing to goof off with, decided to head out a bit earlier than normal to Pie de la Cuesta, just north of Acapulco. Thought about having a short day to Zihuatanejo but have been there many times so, thought I'd charge on.

No gas last night, well into my reserve and next town is about 60km. So, pour my spare gas in and head out. Haven’t even left town yet and, whoa there Sparky, not so fast! There is another frickin Pemex on the other side of town – crap! Refill the Rotopax, fill the bike and head out. Idjit! I guess I shoulda axed somebody.

Comment about Pemex. In Mexico, you have a choice to buy gas at either Pemex, Pemex or Pemex. Sometimes in remote areas if there is a long distance between Pemexes, you will find people selling gas out of a barrel – sometimes a little dodgy but, if you need gas, they are handy. While Pemex is a government monopoly that the government lives off of, I think most (if not all) stations are operated by private companies, so some will have a convenience store attached. The stations are swarming with attendants who pump gas for you, unless you are a picky biker. Most only accept cash. Bonus – gas here is not cut with ethanol. Prices about 10p per litre for Premium – that’s about 80c per litre or a little over $3 a US Gal

Roads weren’t nearly as spectacular as yesterday afternoon. Road from Bahia to Lazarlo Cardeñas being straightened out. Lots of detours – well, that means the road stops and there are some dirt places to drive on, so go where ever you think will work. If there is like a 20 foot hole you could drive into, they will usually stick a couple of cones or something in front of it. Sometimes mark danger ahead by putting some rocks on the road. When they finish this project, hope they don’t go and straighten the part north of Bahia Bafundo – it’s a gem. Would be a shame but road builders are like that.

Stopped in a little town and found a restaurant in some people’s house. Had tosdados, large fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee. Hmmm, good.

Lots of coconut plantations and lots of piles of coconut husks. Couple of places the coconuts were split in half and laying on the ground. I presume that these farmers must carve the coconut meat out and sell it. Mexicans love their Cocos.

Resort hotels in the distance along Ixtappa beach

Also ran across an adobe brick making operation – see a lot of those around also. Lot of adobe houses in smaller communities.

Stopped for a break and had an ice cream bar. These Mexicans are clever. Instead of wasting space for a wooden handle (not to mention wasting trees - see, I am ecologically sensitive), they just make the bar full length, put sandwich material on half for the handle and dip the other half in chocolate. Brilliant!

Went through two Army check points today – got my side bags checked in one again and at the other one guy starts babbling at me for a minute – hadn’t the slightest clue what he was on about. Asked him to repeat what he said slowly and the other guy standing there just tells me to go. Then as I’m getting ready, asks the where are you going where are you from stuff. These Army guys are all pretty young but quite professional.

Arrived in Pie de la Cuesta and decided to check things out. Mostly older hotels but strung out along the beach. Decided to try one of the Lonely Planet recommendations Villas Nirvana Hotel. 450 p – not a bad room – hot water fairly fast. I think it’s just me and one other couple from Minnesota. Big pool, restaurant/bar, beach – all empty. Too bad.

Sitting by the pool under the stars typing this with my buddy Negro Modelo. Young Juan, the caretaker hands me a pad of paper with my room number on it, points to where the NM is kept and asks me to keep track of what I drink. Works for me!
What's left of the Negra Modelo is in the upper right corner

The honor system
Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #90
Migolito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I retired a couple of months ago. For most of my career the plan was to retire to Mexico. Unfortunately, the last few years I received the weekly Homeland security briefings about Mexico. Needless to say, I can't bring myself to take the chance of traveling there. I've been bent and I know it. Keeping up on your adventure makes me want to head south though...
Migolito is offline   Reply With Quote