Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 539 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #8731
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
Well, the first round I started with 5 Excelsiors and asked one to shoot me in the front armor. The Priest has 110 frontal armor. At point blank range, 5/5 Excelsior rounds bounced. I would advise against buying one.
Looked into this tank. It's mobility characteristics compare to a standard T5 medium. It's armor is comparable to a Churchill III. It uses the same gun as a T14, except more accurate and better rof.

I'm buying one.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #8732
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Man, I would not want to be in a tank over there...
Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #8733
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Man, I would not want to be in a tank over there...
I watched that, and thought to myself,

Quote:
They blew off our track! We're stuck!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #8734
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,812
Smithy: I just got home and thought I'd see what the stats are on my Object 268. I know I always enjoy playing it.. but I haven't paid any attention to wins/losses for several months now.

108 battles with the Object 268: 56% win ratio.

Considering I play nothing but public battles (and 90% of the time I play this tank solo)... I didn't think it'd be that high.
It is definitely a keeper tank

Geek screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 02:22 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #8735
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I watched that, and thought to myself,
I did EXACTLY the same thing in my head.

They need to add a tank or two that can drop mines It'd be more annoying than arti!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #8736
Theaty Hannington
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
yabut you like the lee.
I do. And if they release a Lend-Lease Lee like Sam's chart above seems to imply, then I'll have to get the gold to get one. That's a great tank which causes me to change my play style around it, rather than it fitting well into my stock play style. I like to think in new ways, and that tank does it. I typically turtle or go hull-down. That's not the tank to turtle or hull-down in. It makes me rethink every map and makes the game fresh again. I love it.

That is my salmon and yellow Zero. Why can't I get my KLR in that color combo?

As for WoWP, y'all are hating on it after what, 50 battles? Remember tier 1 WoT? It sucked when I first started out, the week the game was released. It was all chaotic and confusing and there was no real strategies being employed and I hated it, but thought maybe the higher tiers would be better. They were. Particularly tier 5 -- I agree with DC there, but DC also needs to post up his WoT name unless I missed it. WoWP is the same way for me. I hated tier 1 and 2 and even 3 to some extent -- especially with all the E3 accounts just trying to ram an enemy plane for an easy kill and an early out. But tier 4 and above are tactical and skill-based and fun and there are very few E3 accounts up there.

This is a soft dogfighter, but a dang well done one. If you liked X-Wing, Tie Fighter, or any other soft, arcade-y dogfighter and have wanted another, this is the one for you. And the team dynamics add some deep tactical sorcery. At the start, all the planes seem the same, because they really are, but very quickly, the four classes differentiated themselves to me:

1. Fighters dogfight best, duh, and they get rockets later on down the line. Generally they follow the philosophy of great maneuverability, good weapons, average speed, and poor armor. The iconic P-51 Mustang and Lt. Phil Rasmussen's P36 Hawk are both fighters and these illustrate the US theory on fighters during this time period: a bit more armor for less agility.

2. Carrier Fighters dogfight really well, but they also carry small bombs for taking out soft ground targets. In short, drop your bombs first, then it's a very capable dogfighter. Typically less-good air-to-air weapons that a comparable fighter, but the addition of air-to-ground weapons makes up for that in each and every battle I've been in. The Mitsubishi A6M Zero and Chance-Vought F4U Corsair are models for the two theories in these planes: the Zero is basically paper with a big machine gun that can turn like a dandelion seed, while the Corsair has a bit of armor but less agility.

3. Heavy fighters are the generalists. They dogfight less well than Carrier Fighters or Fighters, but get good weapons so if they do manage to get you in their sights it's night night. Also, they get a tail gunner, so my Zero has some trouble sticking on their tails without dying. The trick is to stay beneath them if you can, that way their gunner can't shoot you. Compared to the other two classes of fighters, they get better air speed, better armor, and better weapons for both air-to-ground and air-to-air, but lack maneuverability, which is key. The Messerschmitt BF110 is a force to reckon with in the game. I can see why those planes almost broke England as night fighters during the Battle of Britain -- when one ambushes me, I almost never survive. However, when caught alone, they are easy prey if I can avoid the tail gunner.

4. Ground-Attack aircraft are great against the ground, as the name says. A bunch of big bombs, a high damage output from forward facing guns, but fairly easy prey for fighters due to their lack of maneuverability. To compensate, most have tail gunners, but not all. The IL-2 is, as it was in the war, a beast. It gets rockets and heavy bombs and twin 37mm cannons and a ton of hit points and no agility. Brilliant planes when played well. Enough hitpoints to buy a little forgiveness for mistakes, but not much. I'm still hoping they put in a Consolidated PBY Catalina.

5. I hope they add Carrier Ground Attack aircraft soon. I want a Kate!

Typical tier 4 strategies seem to be simple:
1. Take out enemy Ground Attack and Heavy Fighters before they take out our base.
2. Keep enemy fighters off our Ground Attack and Heavy Fighters so we can take out their base.
3. Drop bombs/rockets on ground targets, then dogfight.
4. ANNOUCE WERE I WELL RAM THE ENEMIE SO I GET 5000 GLOD FORM WOT WHILE COMPLAINING HOW MUCH I HATE WOWP OMG111! (I see a lot of people like this in the game, and it's really sucking away from some lower tier planes I have enjoyed. I'll go back and play them again on Friday. )

Controller Schemes:
1. Keyboard and Mouse: This is actually an alright setup with the new control scheme. Turn the mouse sensitivity way up and play with Ground Attack and Heavy Fighters, and you wont want to toss your computer out the window. This scheme sucks so bad for Fighters and Carrier based fighters, though, so don't even go there. It doesn't predict my next juke, and wont let me predict it for it without pulling the gun off target, so then to juke I first need to roll, then juke, then roll, then juke, then explode because I'm so easy to follow. In a Zero.
2. Joystick: Awesome. I can make decisions and enact them immediately. I can plan ahead instead of guessing where the mouse will put my plane and at what attitude. It is the superior control method and the only way to play Fighters and Carrier Fighters. I ground up to the Zero with a mouse and I think it shows: my first nine battles I got no kills and was killed quickly. I was drawing agro and not realizing why. Then I got a joystick and realized why. Now I deserve to draw agro, but I can also dodge my way out of a lot of shots.
3. Gamepad: You're on a PC. Act like it, you namby. Or go buy WoT for XBox 30603601080, or whatever they're calling that ridiculous thing these days.

Unfortunately they do not currently offer an 86 to emblazon on the side of my Curtiss Hawk. I hope they will soon. See that sea arch down there? I totally dove through it and an enemy tried to follow and ran into the walls like it was Star Wars or something. It was awesome.

Maps:
I have seen four. Two are good, one is average to poor, and one is perhaps the best map I've ever seen for a dogfighting game. I love it. The ground targets are moving ships and there are clouds to ambush from and sea arches to loop through and ridges to hide behind and it's perfect. The two good ones are the low-tier maps. The poor one has some fun parts, but is ugly.

TLDR:
The game is pretty and atmospherically evocative. It's an arcadey dogfighter that only moderately pisses me off for bad physics, but is currently pissing me off for bad players at lower tiers. The tactics don't really come to the surface until tiers 3 and 4, but if you can get through the lower tiers, just like WoT, there is a gem of a game there to discover. Do yourself a favor and use a joystick, especially with the nimble fighter classes. At least the Japanese are in their rightful place instead of a mere lend-lease tier three Chinese tank.

"Everyone who isn't playing your tank in that round knows how to play it better." - Morgue
Theaty Hannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #8737
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaty Hannington View Post
if they release a Lend-Lease Lee like Sam's chart above seems to imply...
Wrong M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaty Hannington View Post
That is my salmon and yellow Zero. Why can't I get my KLR in that color combo?

Try Harder :)

Edit: Up to 100 games. I think it is ok, but the 8 year old is hooked. Ordered a joystick ... I'm guessing that was the point eh?

janeuner screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 03:48 PM
janeuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #8738
Geek
oot & aboot

So I downloaded your stupid pink salmon airplane game.
All 6 gigs of it.

Not knowing I wouldn't be allowed to play it cuz I'm not cool enough

Surely when they look at how much money I've spent on tanks they'll be begging me to play the pink airplane game?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #8739
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,149
I sent in my "I wanna play test" for WoW and they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm not gonna download nuthin.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #8740
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,902
I'm on my old backup hard drive, and while I'm in the Beta, I don't have enough free HD space to download the update for WoWP.

Time to fundraise for a new computer, stat.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #8741
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
So I downloaded your stupid pink salmon airplane game.
All 6 gigs of it.

Not knowing I wouldn't be allowed to play it cuz I'm not cool enough

Surely when they look at how much money I've spent on tanks they'll be begging me to play the pink airplane game?
Be patient, Ed......open beta is coming soon....
Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #8742
Geek
oot & aboot

no worries.. I really don't give a shit.. that was all tounge-in-cheek pokin' fun at Norm

Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #8743
Theaty Hannington
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
no worries.. I really don't give a shit.. that was all tounge-in-cheek pokin' fun at Norm

We all know the only reason Ed isn't in the game is because there are not enough communist planes. Don't worry, Ed, maybe they'll add a Chinese plane as a tier 3 in the Japanese line.

"Everyone who isn't playing your tank in that round knows how to play it better." - Morgue
Theaty Hannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #8744
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,178
Tier Twos tonight.

I chose the AT-1 on a whim (having never really played it, and having a SU-122-44 to train the crew up in), and thus far it's proving to be more capable than both team's other choices.

Go figure.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #8745
Rafiki
Some Dude

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I'm on my old backup hard drive, and while I'm in the Beta, I don't have enough free HD space to download the update for WoWP.

Time to fundraise for a new computer, stat.
Let me know what you need...I have a few Hard drives laying around,and getting ready to upgrade my vid. card this week.

and may be doing the processor and motherboard if I ever get off my ass and clean the new one....lmao

"Monkey killing Monkey over pieces of ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs.
They make a club, And beat their brother down."
Rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: