Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 73 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #8776
Theaty Hannington
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
I'd bet on the 8.8 JagdTiger. High DPM, high accuracy, excellent shell dmg/cost ratio. Type needs a bunch of consumables and premium shells to truly excel, whereas the Jagd kicks ass straight off the shelf.
I hope to someday agree with this statement. 8.8 is my next premium, I believe. If this 5000 gold thing pays off.

Also according to the stats.

"Everyone who isn't playing your tank in that round knows how to play it better." - Morgue
Theaty Hannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #8777
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Will do. It loaded me as top tank in a largely Tier 2 battle in Karelia last night, so perhaps that colored my view a little. No plans to sell it anytime soon, and I used my old T-50-2 crew in it.
Now wait a minute there, pardner....

you mean to say you gave up on the T-50-2 ?

I mean, as far as a scout tank, it seems the end-all, be all of scouts. I can see someone getting frustrated with their teams' heavy tanks not doing their job, but T-50-2's look fun... did you sell it or just change crews in it?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #8778
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
I'd bet on the 8.8 JagdTiger. High DPM, high accuracy, excellent shell dmg/cost ratio. Type needs a bunch of consumables and premium shells to truly excel, whereas the Jagd kicks ass straight off the shelf.
I'm gonna go with what you just wrote.

The guys who used to play Type 59's made them profitable, but by and large the current players are just absolutely horrible at using the tank.

Gosh... believe it or not, Type 59 wolf packs used to be a scourge to deal with - and they very well could be today if players had the knowledge and balls to use them. Instead, the typical 59 player these days plays like the typical medium player ... which is to say they treat them like heavies that merely cover more initial land, but then fight it out frontally with enemies from cover.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #8779
Morgue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaty Hannington View Post
8.8 is my next premium, I believe.

It is on my short list, only to be bumped by a US TD (hopefully of the same tier).
Morgue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #8780
Theaty Hannington
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Gosh... believe it or not, Type 59 wolf packs used to be a scourge to deal with - and they very well could be today if players had the knowledge and balls to use them. Instead, the typical 59 player these days plays like the typical medium player ... which is to say they treat them like heavies that merely cover more initial land, but then fight it out frontally with enemies from cover.
I remember the game before the Type 59 was discovered because I am a hipster like that. But I want to expand a second on what you just said, Dave: I fully believe that the game is balanced well enough that 99% of the tanks in the game can be scourges if played to their strengths. However, 100% of tanks will suck in the hands of, well, me and others like me. In other words, every tank is OP. You just have to play it right.

"Everyone who isn't playing your tank in that round knows how to play it better." - Morgue
Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #8781
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,383
Quote:
Now wait a minute there, pardner....

you mean to say you gave up on the T-50-2 ?

I mean, as far as a scout tank, it seems the end-all, be all of scouts. I can see someone getting frustrated with their teams' heavy tanks not doing their job, but T-50-2's look fun... did you sell it or just change crews in it?
Sold it 6 months ago. Everyone told me it was the best tank in the game, I found that not to be true. Admittedly, that was before I had the grasp I do now of how to play a scout, but I didn't enjoy it at all. I suppose I could buy back in any time, if I felt like it... but I'd just as soon find fun tanks that play well at their tier, then run something that everyone else on the field can crush like a bug.

Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge
Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #8782
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
I remember the game before the Type 59 was discovered because I am a hipster like that. But I want to expand a second on what you just said, Dave: I fully believe that the game is balanced well enough that 99% of the tanks in the game can be scourges if played to their strengths. However, 100% of tanks will suck in the hands of, well, me and others like me. In other words, every tank is OP. You just have to play it right.
Good luck with being the scourge in that Russian T-34 and the M3 Lee

I'd say you have a point, but I've played the Type 59 on another account, and saw the talent it was played with when it was first introduced. If that talent was still playing the game, many current players would probably quit by the time they encountered 59's used correctly.

I've only ever had the chance to play like that with some -G- guys back when I was in a sister-clan of theirs. It felt good. With everyone else I have to tone it down a bit because no-one keeps up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Sold it 6 months ago. Everyone told me it was the best tank in the game, I found that not to be true. Admittedly, that was before I had the grasp I do now of how to play a scout, but I didn't enjoy it at all. I suppose I could buy back in any time, if I felt like it... but I'd just as soon find fun tanks that play well at their tier, then run something that everyone else on the field can crush like a bug.
Understood.

But ... not sure I'd have sold mine as opposed to letting it sit while I ruminated about its roles and my use of it.

I'm starting to delve in to that realm of professional scouting with the VK2801. I like it, I have done well with it thus far - and I've lost a bunch of games from heavies that lost the games anyway despite having spotting I could only dream of when I play heavies.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 06-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #8783
Theaty Hannington
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Good luck with being the scourge in that Russian T-34 and the M3 Lee
The M3 Lee is actually quite OP if played right. When played like a mobile AT7, it's a beast. I have 1417 efficiency in it and average more than 1 kill a game -- which for someone sucky like me is a big deal. It has the highest potential DPM of any tank tier 1-5. Just again, bad players play it poorly.

I have yet to try the T-34, but it's on my list. With the bonuses this weekend, I'll probably finally go grab that Marder 2 and Hetzer.

Tankers!
E3 never fails to introduce World of Tanks to a wider audience. This weekend we're rolling out the welcome mat for the new players that have just joined our ranks. Not a new player? Don't get blow a gasket just yet; we've got plenty of discounts and bonuses to help you enjoy a weekend full of tanking too!
Event Starts: 04:30 PDT (07:30 EDT) June 14, 2013
Event Ends: 04:00 PDT (07:00 EDT) June 17, 2013
Welcome to World of Tanks Weekend

Experience for the First Victory in Every Tank

X2 Crew Experience for Tier VII & Tier VIII Standard Tanks (Tier V & VI Standard SPGs)

10,000 Each Time the Confederate Achievement is Earned

100% Increased Credit Income for All Tier II and Tier III Standard Vehicles

50% Increased Credit Income for All Tier IV Standard Vehicles

50% Gold Discount on Barracks for Crewmen

50% Gold Discount on Garage Slots

50% Gold Discount for the Following Vehicles

II T2 Light Tank
III M22 Locust

III T-15
III T-127
III Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f)
III FCM 36 Pak 40

Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #8784
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
I'm starting to delve in to that realm of professional scouting with the VK2801. I like it, I have done well with it thus far - and I've lost a bunch of games from heavies that lost the games anyway despite having spotting I could only dream of when I play heavies.

That is my main issue with running scout tanks, they do not have the ability to pen or do damage to the larger tanks, thus when you have some idiot heavies then no mater what you do you can not make a difference. I do however like running light tanks (The difference being to me is the gun), I like being able to play a scout tank for the first while then once the tanks are engaged switch roles to a fast flanker and deal some damage/kills. does that always work? no, but dang it sure seems to help.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #8785
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

didn't someone just buy one of those?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #8786
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,060
I have the T-50, and the T-50-2, and IMPO with the scout nerf / physics change there isn't enough difference between the two to justify running the slightly faster, much costlier to repair - T-50-2.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #8787
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
I have the T-50, and the T-50-2, and IMPO with the scout nerf / physics change there isn't enough difference between the two to justify running the slightly faster, much costlier to repair - T-50-2.
I thought the 50-2's gun was meaner?

Sure, not much against big tanks, but for big arty if and when you do catch them I'd want penetration. Plus I've seen some really good 50-2 guys tear lone tanks up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
That is my main issue with running scout tanks, they do not have the ability to pen or do damage to the larger tanks, thus when you have some idiot heavies then no mater what you do you can not make a difference. I do however like running light tanks (The difference being to me is the gun), I like being able to play a scout tank for the first while then once the tanks are engaged switch roles to a fast flanker and deal some damage/kills. does that always work? no, but dang it sure seems to help.
Apparently the VK2801 used to be a little secret weapon of some players on the NA server. I think a -G- guy told me that it had changed since he used to play it a lot, but I run pure Gold rounds in mine, for if and when I do have to shoot I'll probably need to finish off a tank. Otherwise I would have stayed camouflaged. For example, I scouted a tier nine E-50 at the halfway point of a map, and he eventually came up along side of me. He was far enough away that H didn't see my little 2801, so I waited for my team to pummel him. Problem was, he was far up enough that he was lighting some of them, and shooting at them with that good gun of his. Two or three VK2801 Gold rounds into his side and he was dead. (which really should have been a big step toward winning, but they managed to lose it somehow later anyhow).

I can see how my T21 engagement skills are applying to just about any lighter tank I run anymore, and the VK2801 is no exception, except that I try to not engage at all with the 2801.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #8788
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,037
I can't believe they want to nerf this thing

papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #8789
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Apparently the VK2801 used to be a little secret weapon of some players on the NA server. I think a -G- guy told me that it had changed since he used to play it a lot, but I run pure Gold rounds in mine, for if and when I do have to shoot I'll probably need to finish off a tank. Otherwise I would have stayed camouflaged. For example, I scouted a tier nine E-50 at the halfway point of a map, and he eventually came up along side of me. He was far enough away that H didn't see my little 2801, so I waited for my team to pummel him. Problem was, he was far up enough that he was lighting some of them, and shooting at them with that good gun of his. Two or three VK2801 Gold rounds into his side and he was dead. (which really should have been a big step toward winning, but they managed to lose it somehow later anyhow).

I can see how my T21 engagement skills are applying to just about any lighter tank I run anymore, and the VK2801 is no exception, except that I try to not engage at all with the 2801.
Yeah, my T21 has a lovely gun on it. I was doing the Hellcat shuffle the other day with a Tiger (lighting him then pulling back to fire twice then repeat) while I waited for the rest of the team to react. By the time the first person hit the tiger from my team, other than me, it had 300 hp left. The gun has some decent pen with meager damage, but is accurate at range enough to hit the weak points.

I am looking forward to getting the T71.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #8790
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I can't believe they want to nerf this thing
Your poor neglected loader

Honestly you did not recieve much potential damage for that tank which is the main focus of the nerf they want to do.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: