User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 441 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #9901
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
wow, your internet must be much faster than mine. I am normally one of the first 10 into the battle, somewhere between 20 and 30 seconds untill the match begins, however when I download the full client I have to set it up before I go to bed and let it download overnight as it seems to take 2-4 hours.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #9902
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Is it a bad thing that this thread now is 3rd in replies in the "shiny things" category?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #9903
Theaty Hannington
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
Is it a bad thing that this thread now is 3rd in replies in the "shiny things" category?
Onward!

Also, a third of those replies are yours.

"Everyone who isn't playing your tank in that round knows how to play it better." - Morgue
Theaty Hannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #9904
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaty Hannington View Post
Onward!

Also, a third of those replies are yours.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #9905
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
I'm getting real frustrated with my lack of ability to increase my win rate. I'm doing more damage, increasing my kills/death ratio, cap, defense, etc but simply can't convert to wins. How do I win more?

My goals each game are:
kill/death over 1
more than my HP in damage (double is what I really like to see)
get defense points, but not at the expense of ^^ (i.e. don't hang so far back I can't engage just to get defense points)
don't die, or survive most of the match
Screw defense points. Those will come naturally.

Dying isn't terrible, but dying for no reason is dumb.

You might try playing more games (like hundreds) lower tiers, particularly tier 4, before moving up. Playing the Hetzer, Matilda, M8A1, (or T40) and T-28 will teach you a lot of the classic tactics without a stiff opponent draw. You don't have to get close enough to ram to do damage. The T-28 is a medium with a great long-range gun and it's pretty fast. It's also squishy. It's great for learning a run and gun long-distance, mobile game. The Matilda plays like a heavy with a deadly pea-shooter. It's super slow, but some of the best players run it all the time for insane win rates: http://www.noobmeter.com/tank/na/GB07_Matilda . The Hetzer has been nerfed (due to HE physics) but it's a high-camo, good-armor tank with a short view range and a slow shell speed. It's important to stick with some spotters when you play it. The M8A1 is its own spotter, very fast, but squishy. It teaches you the long-shot lone-wolf game.

You can't make a win out of every battle. It's good to focus on improving your play in terms of stats, but you really need to know where to be/what to do to change the tide of a close battle. Sometimes you don't shoot and sometimes you go in guns blazing. To be honest, what helped me the most in terms of figuring out when my team needed what was to play artillery. Having the overview and not having to really pay attention to my immediate area let me watch battles unfold. I learned what worked sometimes and what worked never. Pre-8.6 I was in tier 5-8 games with the Priest which taught me the big-boy tactics without a lot of work to unlock high-tier tanks. It's not the same now but it may be worth it to move up an arty tree for a bit to study maps and tactics. The German and US lines are pretty good.

Also, if you want a high win rate, use the stats to tell you what you're good at. I played a lot of heavies and lights before figuring out that I had great win rates on TDs and crummy with standard tanks. I started focusing on TDs more and I've really improved. Now I'm hoping to move to lights again and use what I've learned to improve my game there.

Also, I platooned to pick up pointers and then I played solo for a long time. It helped me focus on where I needed to be more. I got really stupid platooning because I felt invincible. I just platooned again and it was better, but I made more stupid mistakes than usual.

YMMV

Edit: I'm not super amazing or anything, but I'm improving. My goal is to be in the top 3 for damage each game. http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/dysco

Dysco screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 10:27 PM
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #9906
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #9907
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
wow, your internet must be much faster than mine. I am normally one of the first 10 into the battle, somewhere between 20 and 30 seconds untill the match begins, however when I download the full client I have to set it up before I go to bed and let it download overnight as it seems to take 2-4 hours.
Nothing to do with the internets; its how fast your computer can load up the maps and textures. Im even looking at the map several seconds before the countdown begins.

Anyway im going to try to reload that mod again tomorrow sans compression and see what happens

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #9908
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
exactly! loading maps is a test on your hard drive and ram.

the game gets to ready up a good portion of the the 3.7gb resources when you load a map. good CPU's with plenty of ram pulling data from SSD's will load the map and have you in-game before the 30 second timer starts working. slow computers may not even make the 30 second timer.

the one thing you can do to grossly increase your map loading time is to run a texture compressor (why i included the generic 3% compressor in the aforementioned mod pack). for low speed computers cutting down gigabytes of data into megabytes of data can make a big impact loading maps & transitioning from arcade to sniper mode (the game engine sucks and tends to purge memory when transitioning. every notice the split second hiccup? this is from purging memory and then re-sorting the fog from draw distance).
where even on good to average hardware running a less aggressive 25% texture compression can make a good impact for anyone streaming or recording gameplay.

my A10-5800k @ 4.8ghz, 12gb and SSD's with 25% compression make it in the game before the counter starts. im always first lol!
my dual core 2.2ghz celeron, 4gb ram and slow 4200rpm laptop HD with 3% compression loads the game with 15-20 seconds depending on the map. without the compression it wouldn't make the timer.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #9909
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,297
Here are a couple of my runs from the weekend....nothing amazing, but they got the job done.

I'm really liking the T69....it is every bit as dangerous as the Type 59 used to be.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #9910
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,924
I took the T28 (Tier 8 TD) for a spin last night. Defending. I took 26 hits for 6990 potential damage. I was overrun by a T32, T34, Super P and T44.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #9911
Morgue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
Morgue i would suggest Locstan's minimap mod. He makes quite a few mods and has been fairly active for a long time. his is the base for most you see (that's what meltymath patched into his sight). he maintains them here. make sure you grab a current version. you can also tweak it to your liking in his file system.
http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.p...imap-gen-2-86/
Perfect! Was looking at this one already (only one that shows draw distance that I was aware of).

Open question to anyone, but also to you as you seem quite Mod aware:

Is the Curse Client worth using for WoT? Seems like it might be a handy way of trying different Mods, and easily removing if something isn't working right. Not sure if it is more hassle than it is worth.

Morgue screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 07:19 AM
Morgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #9912
Theaty Hannington
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Tankers!

The 8.7 Update is nearly here! Discover all of the new game content coming soon to World of Tanks. We'll have more updates soon to reveal the dates and times we plan to roll out the next game update, so stay tuned!
8.7 Update Notes
New Vehicles

- Added the new branch of SPGs in the British tech tree:

Loyd Gun Carriage (tier II)
Birch Gun (tier III)
Sexton II (tier IV)
Bishop (tier V)
Crusader 5.5-in. SP (tier VI)
FV304 (tier VII)
FV207 (tier VIII)
FV3805 (tier IX)
Conqueror Gun Carriage (tier X)

- Added a new Soviet light tank, the MT-25 (tier VI), as the replacement for the T-50-2. After the update, owners of T-50-2 will own the MT-25

If T-50-2 vehicle was researched, then MT25 will also be researched
If T-50-2 was available in hangar, it will be replaced by MT25
Crew with specialization T-50-2 will be retrained for MT25; will receive a 100% trained Radioman for MT25 as additional crewman
Camouflage patterns and statistics will move from T-50-2 to MT25
Experience from T-50-2 will be moved to MT25
Experience from T-50 will be moved to KV-1S
New ammunition won't be added
Emblems and inscriptions from T-50-2 will be sold per purchase price

- Added Premium British tier III SPG: Sexton I
- Added Premium German tier VII tank destroyer: E-25
- Added new USSR-themed map: Severogorsk
Map Changes

- Reworked Highway and Port maps for the new rendering engine
- Removed Assault game mode from the Westfield and Malinovka maps
- Improved the Assault mode on the Malinovka map
- Modified and optimized several special effects
- Fixed several destructible objects; these objects previously slowed the tank
- Modified and improved visual models of environment objects
- Fixed several problems with the matchmaker that took place after 8.6 Update
- Increased number of names and surnames of different tankers of all nations
- Fixed collision models of several objects and buildings
- Fixed issues in receiving Lucky and Sniper achievements
Vehicle Changes

- VK 30.02 (D)

Maybach HL 210 P30 engine changed with Maybach HL 210 TRM P30 engine

- Rebalanced the Т-50

Gun dispersion of movement and turning decreased by 4%
Suspension resist on all soils reduced on 15%
Added V-3 engine
Removed M17E engine
Removed M-5-400F Bis engine
Tank price changed from 200,000 to 140,000 credits
Max speed reduced by 8km/h
Declination angles of 37mm automatic Sh-37 gun reduced by 2 degrees
Reloading time of 45mm 20K gun reduced from 2.3 to 2.1 sec
Ammo rack of 45mm BT-42 increased by 10
Inclination angle of 45mm BT-42 changed from 25 to 19 degrees
Declination angle of 45 mm BT-42 changed from 7 to 4 degrees
Reloading time of 45mm BT-42 gun reduced from 2.3 to 2.1 sec
Added 45mm BT-43 gun
Removed 57mm ZiS-8 gun
Turret turning speed of T-50 turret from 45 to 48 degrees per second

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tankers!

If you manage to win three battles in a row over the next several days, you'll earn some razzle dazzle for your tanks: bonus XP and an Automatic Fire Extinguisher! See below for all of the details and get started on your very own hot streak today. Boom shakalaka!

Event Begins: 04:30 PDT (07:30 EDT) on July 22, 2013

Event Ends: 04:00 PDT (07:00 EDT) on July 26, 2013

Mission: He's on Fire!

Repeatable Objective: Win Three Battles in a Row

Reward: x1 Automatic Fire Extinguisher, x2 Bonus XP on the Third Victory in a Row

"Everyone who isn't playing your tank in that round knows how to play it better." - Morgue
Theaty Hannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #9913
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
- Removed Assault game mode from the Westfield and Malinovka maps
- Improved the Assault mode on the Malinovka map
Somebody at Wargaming needs to go back and learn to proofread......did they improve it or remove it?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #9914
Morgue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Somebody at Wargaming needs to go back and learn to proofread......did they improve it or remove it?
HAHA

They tried to fix it, then said "screw it" (perhaps they said "how terrible") and just removed it. They just want credit for their work.
(EDIT: rumors are saying it is out of the rotation for normal playing, but the improved version might still exist for Tank Companies).

The TOG II gift bundle referred to the TOG as an "American" heavy as well (they have since corrected it).

http://i.imgur.com/TtW67PI.png

Morgue screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 09:03 AM
Morgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #9915
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Tankers!

If you manage to win three battles in a row over the next several days, you'll earn some razzle dazzle for your tanks: bonus XP and an Automatic Fire Extinguisher! See below for all of the details and get started on your very own hot streak today. Boom shakalaka!

Event Begins: 04:30 PDT (07:30 EDT) on July 22, 2013

Event Ends: 04:00 PDT (07:00 EDT) on July 26, 2013

Mission: He's on Fire!

Repeatable Objective: Win Three Battles in a Row

Reward: x1 Automatic Fire Extinguisher, x2 Bonus XP on the Third Victory in a Row
Sweet. I know I haven't been on much, but I'm going to try to get on for this. Looks like I'll be in the trusty ol' Ferdi or my shiny new Jagdtiger a lot. I seem to have the most actual influence on the battle outcome when I'm in those.
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: