ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #166
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer
 
steve_k's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Rancho Bernardo (San Diego)
Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
Anyone know of a good footpeg lowering kit for the GS? I feel like an extra inch of leg stretch would make a difference. I know Wunderlich advertises some stuff (probably good but $$).

thanks

TT makes these: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...o-R1100-1150GS

A little pricey, but could help out in the leg room department.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #167
Axel F
Adventurer
 
Axel F's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Manchester, England
Oddometer: 26
Few Pics of my Fiancés G650GS with the Givi High Screen and Givi Crashbars. Both seem really well made, and the screen is great. For me 5ft 11 it has extremely reduced the buffeting and no adverse effects on helmet/head turbulence. Partner 5ft 1 she has totally clean airflow.











Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #168
raftn
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 69
I have completed 10000kms now and added quite a lot to it, it is all covered here in my blog, there are also a lot more pics etc.


http://rogerfleming-raftnn.blogspot....and-bling.html

[IMG]
P1000040 by Roger Fleming, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
P1000046 by Roger Fleming, on Flickr[/IMG]
raftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #169
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: West Central Florida
Oddometer: 357
Just painted the stock windscreen black, put the second set of black out wheels on it with knobbies and added the soft bags.

I have a cee bailey tall screen for pavement riding. Heading out for a little off roading on Sunday.....



LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #170
glennmack
Good Bloke
 
glennmack's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 20
First Bike - Loving It!!

As I'm relatively new to bikes and very new to taking a bike off tarmac, I thought I'd share my first experience. Had a blast covering around 60km of bush track (about 1.5 hours), a few creek crossings and some great hills in the Jimna State Forest north of Brisbane, Australia.
The G650GS is my first bike, and as I like to change anything pretty much just for the sake of it (and maybe some functionality) I've so far done the following:
Arrow Exhaust (and K & N Air Filter) - GREAT sound - especially on overrun, great looking (from both sides and the rear), less vibration through the bars (or am I imagining that), louder than I imagined but good loud, performance increase negligible but seems more 'open' and spinny - changes the personality of the bike - definitely the best change I've made
Touratech Windscreen Adjuster - excellent piece of kit, the angle adjustment is very handy, more so than the height adjustment
Calsci Windscreen - (not shown in these photos) - does a great job of protection but as with most LARGE windscreens makes the bike look less sporty (IMO)
Strike Genius Bluetooth GPS - mounted on the cross piece above the instruments - excellent GPS (bought due to outstanding reviews), easy to use and a bright glove friendly touch screen
Interphone F5 helmet bluetooth - talks to the iPhone, GPS and travel buddies - also FM radio and music streaming - claims to be useable up to 180kph but I'm flat out hearing it at full volume above 100kph (especially with the Arrow exhaust) - other than that a very good unit though
Wolfman Tank Bag - yep, it's a tank bag, holds stuff, fits well and easy to use - seems good quality
Air Hawk R - whoopee cushion - very comfy on the old man bottom
Also have SW-Motech bash plate, Touratech protection bars and brake reservoir guard and Cee Bailey's headlight guard arriving any day in the post.
Loving the bike and the experience!!

IMG_0176_3

IMG_0177_3

IMG_0178_3

IMG_0180_3
__________________
"The stink of a too-loud electric guitar - that's my idea of a good time" - Frank Zappa

glennmack screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 01:57 AM Reason: Pictures
glennmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #171
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer
 
steve_k's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Rancho Bernardo (San Diego)
Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
TT makes these: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...o-R1100-1150GS

A little pricey, but could help out in the leg room department.

Just ordered these since my knees were hurting after doing 300 miles on Saturday. The bike did great, but I needed a few walking breaks while on the road.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #172
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: West Central Florida
Oddometer: 357
Soft Saddle Bags Solution for the G

Soft saddlebag options have been few for the G. Tons for the F.

Dirt Bagz just came out with a solution for the G. I bought the 15 liter Rangers and they work great. Well constructed, comes with an easy to install rack/frame.

Check it out. and... I don't work for the company or sell their products.

http://www.dbzproducts.com/index.htm

Take a look at post #169 for a picture.
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #173
WaynoJ
Oldie but goodie!
 
WaynoJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Summer N of Seattle, WA - Winter in Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel F View Post
Few Pics of my Fiancés G650GS with the Givi High Screen and Givi Crashbars. Both seem really well made, and the screen is great. For me 5ft 11 it has extremely reduced the buffeting and no adverse effects on helmet/head turbulence. Partner 5ft 1 she has totally clean airflow.
What model is that Givi screen? I've been looking for a tall screen and really like the looks of this one.
__________________
I think I am, therefore I am ... I think. -- George Carlin


'12 BMW G650GS (Red), '07 Piaggio X9 500 SuperScoot
WaynoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #174
Axel F
Adventurer
 
Axel F's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Manchester, England
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynoJ View Post
What model is that Givi screen? I've been looking for a tall screen and really like the looks of this one.
It's the D5101ST

http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/...mo=G-650-GS-11

Cheers
Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #175
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE
 
CHAOSHUMOUR's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Bris-Vegas, Australia
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennmack View Post
As I'm relatively new to bikes and very new to taking a bike off tarmac, I thought I'd share my first experience. Had a blast covering around 60km of bush track (about 1.5 hours), a few creek crossings and some great hills in the Jimna State Forest north of Brisbane, Australia.
The G650GS is my first bike, and as I like to change anything pretty much just for the sake of it (and maybe some functionality) I've so far done the following:
Arrow Exhaust (and K & N Air Filter) - GREAT sound - especially on overrun, great looking (from both sides and the rear), less vibration through the bars (or am I imagining that), louder than I imagined but good loud, performance increase negligible but seems more 'open' and spinny - changes the personality of the bike - definitely the best change I've made
Touratech Windscreen Adjuster - excellent piece of kit, the angle adjustment is very handy, more so than the height adjustment
Calsci Windscreen - (not shown in these photos) - does a great job of protection but as with most LARGE windscreens makes the bike look less sporty (IMO)
Strike Genius Bluetooth GPS - mounted on the cross piece above the instruments - excellent GPS (bought due to outstanding reviews), easy to use and a bright glove friendly touch screen
Interphone F5 helmet bluetooth - talks to the iPhone, GPS and travel buddies - also FM radio and music streaming - claims to be useable up to 180kph but I'm flat out hearing it at full volume above 100kph (especially with the Arrow exhaust) - other than that a very good unit though
Wolfman Tank Bag - yep, it's a tank bag, holds stuff, fits well and easy to use - seems good quality
Air Hawk R - whoopee cushion - very comfy on the old man bottom
Also have SW-Motech bash plate, Touratech protection bars and brake reservoir guard and Cee Bailey's headlight guard arriving any day in the post.
Loving the bike and the experience!!

IMG_0176_3

IMG_0177_3

IMG_0178_3

IMG_0180_3
Hey Glenmac.

Mate you are in Bris!

My shorter half has just purchased a Red G650, decked it out, but I have been racking my brains on what to do for an exhaust. No one seems to make them for the G.

That Arrow looks amazing, how was it Fit? Price? Where did you get it? I have posted pics of hers earlier.

You are with a Buell in that pic. We have both just come off Buells, and I know MOST of the Brissy Buell Crew. Who's is that?

We are just starting to get off road as well, looking at the Forest North of Brissy. We are also looking at doing some training with Rod @ Overlanders in the next few weeks. I will prob throw it out and see if anyone interested.

CHAOS OUT!
__________________
IN TIMES OF TRIAL AND ADVERSITY... LOOK HARD... LEAN HARDER... AND OPEN THE THROTTLE WIDE.
"WHEN THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE ARRIVES, WILL YOU BE READY? WILL YOU REALLY???"
CHAOSHUMOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #176
glennmack
Good Bloke
 
glennmack's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 20
Hey Chaos

I looked at a few options for the G650 exhaust. Now that they've been out for over a year the after market choices are increasing. There is a Leo Vince option http://www.leovince.com/en/search.ph...parole_chiave=, a Remus http://www.remus.eu/0599682084511l-r...rt-no-eec.html and finally the Arrow which I went for http://www.arrow.it/eng/prodotti/mot...=21&IDTab=1207. Each have options for different finish etc - I went for the aluminium with carbon end cap. I looked at buying from OS but ended up going through Adam at Admant Industries in Sydney who did the exhaust, joining pipe and delivery for AUD$600 http://www.admant.com.au/. Could have saved about $40 buying direct from Europe but wanted to avoid any warranty hassles. Very happy with the look and the sound of the exhaust. I was worried it might look average with the right can missing but it actually looks much better than stock from that side too - makes it look higher. Fitting was dead easy as long as you have the set of torx tools that BMW love to use, a little tough to remove the dual can setup but a bit of CRC sprayed in the right places fixed that. The best of the 3 options IMO.

I've also just bought some gear from Sierra BMW in the US - just had the SW Motech bash plate, headlight protector, and Touratech crash bars delivered - see photo below. Saved quite a few $$$ with our strong AUD.

The Buell lives up the Sunny Coast - Pete and his brother both ride them. He's just done a total rebuild of the bike and added a few extras. The track we did last week went from just north of the Cambroon Caravan Park through to the Jimna road north of Kilcoy. The other track that goes from just south of Kenilworth (near the ranger office) is still being rebuilt since it slipped of the mountain. Planning on doing a similar ride again soon.

Cheers mate.

IMG_0196

IMG_0155
__________________
"The stink of a too-loud electric guitar - that's my idea of a good time" - Frank Zappa

glennmack screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 03:46 AM
glennmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #177
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE
 
CHAOSHUMOUR's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Bris-Vegas, Australia
Oddometer: 119
[QUOTE=glennmack;18606328]Hey Chaos

I looked at a few options for the G650 exhaust. Now that they've been out for over a year the after market choices are increasing. There is a Leo Vince option http://www.leovince.com/en/search.ph...parole_chiave=, a Remus http://www.remus.eu/0599682084511l-r...rt-no-eec.html and finally the Arrow which I went for http://www.arrow.it/eng/prodotti/mot...=21&IDTab=1207. Each have options for different finish etc - I went for the aluminium with carbon end cap. I looked at buying from OS but ended up going through Adam at Admant Industries in Sydney who did the exhaust, joining pipe and delivery for AUD$600 http://www.admant.com.au/. Could have saved about $40 buying direct from Europe but wanted to avoid any warranty hassles. Very happy with the look and the sound of the exhaust. I was worried it might look average with the right can missing but it actually looks much better than stock from that side too - makes it look higher. Fitting was dead easy as long as you have the set of star tools that BMW love to use, a little tough to remove the dual can setup but a bit of CRC sprayed in the right places fixed that. The best of the 3 options IMO.

I've also just bought some gear from Sierra BMW in the US - just had the SW Motech bash plate, headlight protector, and Touratech crash bars delivered - see photo below. Saved quite a few $$$ with our strong AUD.

The Buell lives up the Sunny Coast - Pete and his brother both ride them. He's just done a total rebuild of the bike and added a few extras. The track we did last week went from just south of the Cambroon Caravan Park through to the Jimna road north of Kilcoy. The other track that goes from just south of Kenilworth (near the ranger office) is still being rebuilt since it slipped of the mountain. Planning on doing a similar ride again soon.

Cheers mate.

Cool man.

Check out my posts from 3-11-12 & 3-18-12. THis is her bike Stock and then the extras.

We went Touratech right through so that could mount top & lower engine guard. No centre stand as she has it lowered from factory. Went OEM hand guards as we saw when the BarkBusters were fitted that they rubbed on Clutch and Brake. But LarryGee did not have an issue with his.

I have SW Motech gear on my Tiger 800XC. The bash plate is a strong piece of kit.

Thanks for the Zorst links.

CHAOS OUT!
__________________
IN TIMES OF TRIAL AND ADVERSITY... LOOK HARD... LEAN HARDER... AND OPEN THE THROTTLE WIDE.
"WHEN THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE ARRIVES, WILL YOU BE READY? WILL YOU REALLY???"
CHAOSHUMOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #178
glennmack
Good Bloke
 
glennmack's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 20
[QUOTE=CHAOSHUMOUR;18607156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennmack View Post

Check out my posts from 3-11-12 & 3-18-12. THis is her bike Stock and then the extras.

We went Touratech right through so that could mount top & lower engine guard. No centre stand as she has it lowered from factory. Went OEM hand guards as we saw when the BarkBusters were fitted that they rubbed on Clutch and Brake. But LarryGee did not have an issue with his.

I have SW Motech gear on my Tiger 800XC. The bash plate is a strong piece of kit.

Thanks for the Zorst links.

CHAOS OUT!
Checked out your pics - was one of those taken in Dayboro? That's often where we all meet for rides - the bakery. Some great roads out from there.

The Touratech gear looks great - you obviously bought the bike from M & W with Brekky Creek in the background.

Cheers

Glennmack
__________________
"The stink of a too-loud electric guitar - that's my idea of a good time" - Frank Zappa

glennmack screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 01:56 AM
glennmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #179
allumida
n00b
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Germany, Bavaria close Lake Constance
Oddometer: 9
[QUOTE=CHAOSHUMOUR;18607156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennmack View Post
Hey Chaos

I looked at a few options for the G650 exhaust. Now that they've been out for over a year the after market choices are increasing. There is a Leo Vince option http://www.leovince.com/en/search.php?marca=BMW&modello=G%20650%20GS%20i.e.%20(2011/2012)&parole_chiave=, a Remus http://www.remus.eu/0599682084511l-r...rt-no-eec.html and finally the Arrow which I went for http://www.arrow.it/eng/prodotti/mot...=21&IDTab=1207.
There is at least one additional single pipe exhaust in different choices available at Hattech www.hattech.de. Hattech offers also for the right side a stainless steel toolbox. I have installed both, exhaust and toolbox and it is perfect. The exhaust is available w/o catalyst.
allumida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #180
WaynoJ
Oldie but goodie!
 
WaynoJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Summer N of Seattle, WA - Winter in Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 10
Laugh Finally some pics

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of my new bike . I went with the OEM hand protectors, skid plate and lower crash bars. I have a Givi E370 top case on order and will probably go with some Givi soft saddlebags and the tall Givi windscreen like Alex F's for touring

I've only got about 1,200 miles on it so far and couldn't be enjoying it more. I think I posted earlier that this is my first motorcycle since college in the mid-1960's (so you know I'm and oldie but goodie -- turned 66 in December), although I've had a Piaggio X9 500 Evo scooter for about a year now at our Arizona winter home, which got me back in the riding mood (actually, gave me the riding fever, not just a mood!). This G650GS is the perfect beginner / returnee bike -- not so much power that it makes you nervous, but plenty when you need it in traffic or to get out of the bad stuff.

Anyway, here they are. If I remember to take a camera on my next ride, I'll post some pics -- the scenery is gorgeous here in western Washington State, where we spend the spring and summer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79854787@N07/
__________________
I think I am, therefore I am ... I think. -- George Carlin


'12 BMW G650GS (Red), '07 Piaggio X9 500 SuperScoot

WaynoJ screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 05:05 PM Reason: Added link to photos
WaynoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014