User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #196
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
valve adjustment

Hey guys, I am looking at purchasing a used 2006 with about 9300 miles on it. Apparently the guy never checked valve clearance during the life of the bike. any concern there? Guys who have done there first valve check, was adjustment necessary? Are these bikes known for needing adjustment at the first check. From what I understand the first check should be done at 6000 miles.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #197
Torquer
Hey, watch this.....

Oddometer: 85
I was really getting excited about this 650gs being so close to a KLR but better. Now after reading this thread and seeing that so many buy these for their wives I am wondering if this is a girls bike? What the heck, why is this considered a girls bike?
Torquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #198
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post
Hey guys, I am looking at purchasing a used 2006 with about 9300 miles on it. Apparently the guy never checked valve clearance during the life of the bike. any concern there? Guys who have done there first valve check, was adjustment necessary? Are these bikes known for needing adjustment at the first check. From what I understand the first check should be done at 6000 miles.
i dont know if its the same as my 02 dakar with the 650 rotax motor but my buddy works at the bmw dealer and works on them all the time and told me he has only seen one or two that were out of spec out of all the years he has been there.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #199
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquer View Post
I was really getting excited about this 650gs being so close to a KLR but better. Now after reading this thread and seeing that so many buy these for their wives I am wondering if this is a girls bike? What the heck, why is this considered a girls bike?
I think BMW markets the 650 as an entry level ADV bike. But why should the Noobs have all the fun?
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #200
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:

I always thought the 883 Sportsters were girls bikes?
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #201
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i dont know if its the same as my 02 dakar with the 650 rotax motor but my buddy works at the bmw dealer and works on them all the time and told me he has only seen one or two that were out of spec out of all the years he has been there.
Thanks for the feedback, I was hoping that was that would be the answer.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #202
Torquer
Hey, watch this.....

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
I always thought the 883 Sportsters were girls bikes?
Some might think you are backwards...Vespas for men and 883's for girls?
Torquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #203
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Some might think you are backwards...Vespas for men and 883's for girls?

Hahahaha, ok, you got me on that one!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #204
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 298
Some buy both. The reason you see so many women on them as well as other GS's is because of the optional lower seat and/or lowering link. If it affects your perception of yourself then get a Sertao/Dakar/F800GS or 1200gsa....apparently buying knobbies comes with free admission to the man club. I love my GS and my Dakar and never felt my testosterone slipping nor a labia growing....

nomad5326 screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 12:37 PM
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #205
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,214
Are you calling me a girl? I came to the 650 from a 1200 bandit, and it is, by far, the most versatile bike I ever owned in the 20+ years of riding.

Yes, ladies like the low seat, but at the weight it stands, it is by no means a "girls' bike". Pic one up on the trail and you'll see

These are comfortable, versatile, reliable bikes. Who cares if it is 650 - it will still go above any speed limit within 1000 miles from my house.

Plus, it has cheap insurance compared to other 650's out there.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #206
jdoxey
jdoxey

Oddometer: 20
a girl?

I must be a chick too then? there seems to be a lot of innuendo that any bike south of a litre is only a learner. I've ridden standard bikes, cruisers, small Sm and now have a 650gs. After 22 years of fun riding, I still find a hell of a lot of fun to be had in the mid size range. Light enough to pull out of the mud, do a u-turn in an alley, but have enough umph to haul my butt at highway speed comfortably.
I commute 200 rural 2 lane highway everyday and will admit that from time to time after a long day and ride home there is nothing like going for a ride..... ie. It's an easy bike to spend time on.
jdoxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #207

Oddometer: 46
I think girls prefer the GS because its got 10 more HP than the KLR ;)
alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #208
renzo
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I just picked up a new lowered G650 GS. Its the only dual purpose bike out there that fits my short stubs.
renzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #209
Rogdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Finally a Photo

So, after first posting on this thread going back months ago now... I have finally got around to posting a pic of the bike (2009 version which has just past 2,000 mi on clock). Here it is in its 'naturalized' environment, on a brief break from cruzing Hwy #1 heading for Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) Vietnam. I am the lucky individual who owns the only GS650 in Vietnam, and to the best of my knowledge, the only GS in Vietnam.

No farkles except the BMW side cases... frankly even if I was a farkler by nature - and I much prefer to just get on and point it down the road - I wouldn't find anything to fit in Vietnam, and motorcycle parts are damn heavy to carry in your suitcase on an airplane.

Rogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #210
Lone Wolf 48
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
False tank panel tabs model 2009

Hello,
I have a G650GS 2009 (my first BMW ) like the bike very much. To date I have had the Steering head bearings changed (12200 kms) and the rear shock absorber changed twice. Once for scratches appearing on the shock body and the second for a leak 1000kms later.
The question I have is in the 3 panels that cover the battery, oil, water containers and air box, I have one of the location tabs broken and have tried sticking it with "Superglue" and Epoxy Resin glue neither of which were successful.

Anybody had any experience of this and what repair was used?

Brgds to all in this excellent thread
Lone Wolf 48 is offline   Reply With Quote