Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #211
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
What's a "girls bike"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquer View Post
I was really getting excited about this 650gs being so close to a KLR but better. Now after reading this thread and seeing that so many buy these for their wives I am wondering if this is a girls bike? What the heck, why is this considered a girls bike?

I've seen women on every kind of motorcycle they make. I only wish more women would figure out that motorcycles are for everyone.
If you are looking for a product that will make you feel more macho I'd suggest a GSRX1300 Hyabusa with an extended swing arm, a 300mm rear tire and no muffler. You'll have to wear an Icon armod vest and beenie helmet with a scull face mask, but it'll be worth it when you do your morning self afermations.

Just kidding Put knobby tires on any bike, ride the hell out of it and if you look in your wallet at the end of the day you'll find a "man card" in there.

for the record, not a girl bike
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #212
Lone Wolf 48
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Cheap Mods

A rear brake cylinder protection piece made from an old damaged possum scraper Image supplied.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...r48/photo2.jpg

I also made a rear shock protector from an old mouse pad, sticking it with double sided tape to the inside of the wheel arch.
The idea came from a Crap Flap design but this one makes no holes and no damage from the fixing. It has been in place for a couple of years without problem

Cost = 0 dollars and my time to fit them
Lone Wolf 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #213
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by alter View Post
I think girls prefer the GS because its got 10 more HP than the KLR ;)
\

oohhh... That was good....
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #214

Oddometer: 46
I have a 2012 G650GS and when the bike gets hot and I turn it off for a few minutes, it sometimes fails to turn over and I have to try several times before it turns over, or it turns over but takes a while for it to start. I've seen that some others have had the same issue, but when I reported it to my dealer, they said they never heard of this happening. I was just wondering if anyone here had the hot start issue with their g650gs, and if so, did your dealer fix it under warranty? I do have an appointment to get it looked at but I'm worried they will claim there is no problem and try to charge me.
alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #215
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 48 View Post
Hello,
I have a G650GS 2009 (my first BMW ) like the bike very much. To date I have had the Steering head bearings changed (12200 kms) and the rear shock absorber changed twice. Once for scratches appearing on the shock body and the second for a leak 1000kms later.
The question I have is in the 3 panels that cover the battery, oil, water containers and air box, I have one of the location tabs broken and have tried sticking it with "Superglue" and Epoxy Resin glue neither of which were successful.

Anybody had any experience of this and what repair was used?

Brgds to all in this excellent thread
Wow Lone Wolf, what kind of roads/offroading do you do?
I have almost 26,000 miles (41842 kms) on my 2009 g650gs with none of these problems.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #216
ODGS
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for all the great info you guys posted here. Definitely a great place to learn. That being said, below is my new 2012 G650 GS. It has just ~200 miles on it and I am very pleased so far. Only thing I am thinking about is upgrading to a taller windscreen. I am 6' 3" and I feel comfortable speeds up to 55-60 mph but at 70 mph is not fun really. I saw a couple different options and thinking about getting the Givi. Can you guys share your experiences? Which one is the best? Should I go with the BMW tall windscreen? Thank you for your inputs.

ODGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #217
4NoNo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider.y2k View Post
I run out of room in the garage so I park Her bike in living room.
The ultimate in princess parking!
4NoNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #218
4NoNo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Glad to see this thread!

I knew I out grew my Vespa when I started to abuse it in making it do things that weren't meant to be on the city dweller. So last August, I got a 2009 G650 GS with 5500 on the odometer.
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share

And look at it now. Same GS just 11,111 miles later.
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share
Barkbuster Storm (?) hand guards, more for the bugs
Hepco Becker Bags, for the long trips to MO
PIAA lights (??? Ask my ole man), can't see a thing at night
AirHawk Seat cushion & Alaskan SheepSkin, fight against tush/leg cramps and it worked!
TKC 50/50 knobbies, to kick it where ever, whenever
BMW silver paint job, 300 not bad
Scala rider set
Wanting: taller windshield, styling mirrors and more time to ride!

4NoNo screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 06:22 PM
4NoNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #219
glennmack
Good Bloke

Oddometer: 20
Windscreen Stuff

Just a bit of info on replacement windscreens.....

I bought the Calsci tall windscreen for my 2011 G650GS, great protection but I thought it looked ........average.
So I took to it with the Dremel - took the 'wings' off the bottom, reshaped the sides and profiled the top. What was there to lose?

Happy with the look and still great protection. I swap out with the standard screen depending on the ride I'm doing - both work well with the Touratech adjuster thingy too.

IMG_0265

IMG_0263

glennmack screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 07:45 PM Reason: Changed Photos
glennmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #220
raftn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennmack View Post

I bought the Calsci tall windscreen for my 2011 G650GS, great protection but I thought it looked ........average.
So I took to it with the Dremel - took the 'wings' off the bottom, reshaped the sides and profiled the top. What was there to lose?

Happy with the look and still great protection. I swap out with the standard screen depending on the ride I'm doing - both work well with the Touratech adjuster thingy too.

IMG_0258

IMG_0257
Quite like the second pic, it is like a hobbie room!
raftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #221
glennmack
Good Bloke

Windscreen Stuff

Took a bit more off the 'wings' since raftn's reply.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #222
glennmack
Good Bloke

More Pics!!

Another great ride - my 2011 model and a friend's 2010 model.

IMG_0215

IMG_0217

IMG_0218

Image 3
Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #223
ODGS
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennmack View Post

Nicely done. Looks really good. Have you tried the oem BMW tall screen or others?
ODGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:29 AM   #224
Axel F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alter View Post
I have a 2012 G650GS and when the bike gets hot and I turn it off for a few minutes, it sometimes fails to turn over and I have to try several times before it turns over, or it turns over but takes a while for it to start. I've seen that some others have had the same issue, but when I reported it to my dealer, they said they never heard of this happening. I was just wondering if anyone here had the hot start issue with their g650gs, and if so, did your dealer fix it under warranty? I do have an appointment to get it looked at but I'm worried they will claim there is no problem and try to charge me.
Yes this is definitely a warranty job and no charge at all for the fix, if you have had the issue on your bike then the problem is there and get them to put the new lever on, that's what the warranty is for, you should not pay anything. The new part was released here in the uk early May, it is a redesigned compressor lever. The part number for the new compressor lever is 11.31.8.540.965. It was fitted on the 9th of May and there have been no hot start issues since, few others over on f650.co.uk with same positive feedback. There must be hundreds who have had the hot start issue my dealer alone was waiting for both of there demo bikes to have the lever fitted

Axel F screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 04:38 AM
Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #225

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel F View Post
Yes this is definitely a warranty job and no charge at all for the fix, if you have had the issue on your bike then the problem is there and get them to put the new lever on, that's what the warranty is for, you should not pay anything. The new part was released here in the uk early May, it is a redesigned compressor lever. The part number for the new compressor lever is 11.31.8.540.965. It was fitted on the 9th of May and there have been no hot start issues since, few others over on f650.co.uk with same positive feedback. There must be hundreds who have had the hot start issue my dealer alone was waiting for both of there demo bikes to have the lever fitted
OK Thanks a lot for the info this is good to know and I'll share it with my BMW dealer, especially the part number, although according to their service guy, the vast majority of the information on the web is false... It sure seems like England got a lot more cases of the hot start issue though. Makes you wonder if the seat color is the only difference between the bikes.
alter is offline   Reply With Quote