Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #226
glennmack
Good Bloke

Oddometer: 20
Windscreen Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODGS View Post
Nicely done. Looks really good. Have you tried the oem BMW tall screen or others?
I haven't tried the OEM tall screen. I considered it when I bought the bike but thought it wasn't a big enough size difference to make a difference in buffet and wind protection, seems very narrow too. On the other hand, the standard Calsci screen was MASSIVE, even though I'd seen photos on their website it ended up being bigger than I thought. That's what led me to Dremeling the hell out of it. The end result is a good compromise (IMO), a fair bit wider and taller than the OEM tall screen, and a bit more style to it with the 'V' in the top similar to the original short screen. As you are probably aware, there is an 'in between' area of screen height where all you get is buffet - your head ends up in the turbulent airflow where the laminar flow over the windscreen breaks away at the top of the screen and creates airflow reversal and eddies. What we get on our helmets is a slightly reduced wind flow but hugely increased noise and buffeting. You're better off either having a short screen where you get just wind flow and no turbulence on your helmet, or a screen high enough to put the turbulence above your helmet - i.e. the top of the screen should be as high as chin height for best effect. I've put a photo of the original Calsci screen below compared to what I've mangled it into.

Cheers

g650gs2011a IMG_0263
Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #227
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennmack View Post
On the other hand, the standard Calsci screen was MASSIVE, even though I'd seen photos on their website it ended up being bigger than I thought. That's what led me to Dremeling the hell out of it.
Did the wings on the original Calsci screen (before you removed them) interfere with the hand guards on a lock turn?
thanks

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #228
glennmack
Good Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
Did the wings on the original Calsci screen (before you removed them) interfere with the hand guards on a lock turn?
thanks
They did contact the hand protectors but only just touching. No chance of damage or anything. With the Touratech screen adjuster there was more contact depending on the height and angle set, as well as the indicators floating up and contacting the bottom of the screen when at speed.

Cheers

Glenn
Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #229
Axel F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alter View Post
OK Thanks a lot for the info this is good to know and I'll share it with my BMW dealer, especially the part number, although according to their service guy, the vast majority of the information on the web is false... It sure seems like England got a lot more cases of the hot start issue though. Makes you wonder if the seat color is the only difference between the bikes.
Well this information certainly isn't false unless I dreamt visiting BMW Manchester having the new part fitted and asking for the new part number. Dealers hate forums, I will quote my dealer as saying during recent conversation "Bloody Forums, bane of my life"
Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #230
WaynoJ
Oldie but goodie!

Oddometer: 10
Tall Windscreen

Quote:
I haven't tried the OEM tall screen. I considered it when I bought the bike but thought it wasn't a big enough size difference to make a difference in buffet and wind protection...
I went to the Givi tall windscreen, and really like it. It's about 8" taller than the stock screen, and about 3" wider on each side. There is virtually no wind buffeting or turbulence on my head or body, just a slight buffeting on my arms, which I think you're going to get with anything but a Harley screen. A little over $100 (I bought mine on eBay).

'12 BMW G650GS (Red), '07 Piaggio X9 500 SuperScoot
WaynoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #231
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
I put the tall factory (Sertao) windscreen on my GS and it was a HUGE improvement over the stock shorty.... But it it's not as tall as I would like it to be. Pretty much bought since I knew it would work with the factory hand guards. Might add the Touratech adjustable mount to it and I think that will dial it in just perfect since I only have to duck a couple inches to get the wind over my helmet. I'm about 5' 10" if that helps to know...
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #232
4NoNo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Windshield Upgrade

I'm wanting to change out my 09 stock windshield. Any happy customers? My neck muscles are stronger now but tired of the workout sessions.
4NoNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #233
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,300
Modified seat on G650GS

In my last post, I mentioned that there were a few things about the G650GS that did not exactly please me. I already covered the exhaust and air intake modifications, and in the distant past, I mentioned a driving light bar, rear master cylinder protection, taller windshield, handguards, hard wiring a GPS, and Touratech fork protectors.

Well, today I'll talk about a modified stock seat.

While I did not find the stock seat particularly uncomfortable, it left something to be desired. The longest day I've done on the stock seat was just short of 700 miles, and my butt was hurting by the end of the day. This will probably hold true on any seat though. My main issue with the stock seat was the fact that no matter how I positioned myself, I would end up sliding forward, and had to adjust my underwear (yeah, I said it), and almost every stop. The stock seat has an awkward angle where it pushes the rider forward.

After researching the usual aftermarket seats, and some varieties from Wunderlich, I decided to modify my own seat instead. Part of the decision was that there is no magic, one-seat-fits-all variety, and part of it was that my budget is, lets just say, poor.

Having found a used stock seat in need of TLC (ripped cover), I was one step closer to getting what I wanted. While I've done seats in the past with a decent success, I decided to use a local upholstery shop instead.

First, I removed some foam from the seating area to make it more flat. I then brought the seat to the upholstery shop where we added extra foam in the seating area, extra padding in the crotch area, and raised the rear section by about 1" so I would have a firm support behind my butt. The first attempt to cover the seat in an ostrich-print vinyl (textured) did not go well (the seat looked awesome, but did not match anything on the bike - well, it was a spur-of-the-moment decision), so the seat was recovered in carbon fiber-like vinyl.

This is a closeup of the smoother contour, which provides more support and limits sliding forward.
As viewed from the other side, you can see how the passenger seat area was shortened and pushed back a little, plus the raised rear support.
And a view from the top. Notice how the seating area is larger and smoother than on a stock seat.
Working with a local business is always preferable (for me), and in this instance it worked well. Not only the seat looks nice and is comfortable, but I was also able to achieve a custom fit for under $100 (not including the seat).
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #234
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NoNo View Post
I'm wanting to change out my 09 stock windshield. Any happy customers? My neck muscles are stronger now but tired of the workout sessions.
So as not to spam this forum with my blog posts, I'm including link only. This is my review of the Ztechnik I put on my 09 model. Much, much better than stock. Good enough for 12 hours on the superslab at 80mph average.
Review is here: http://hmwrites.blogspot.com/2011/01...n-upgrade.html
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #235
glennmack
Good Bloke

More Windscreen Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynoJ View Post
I went to the Givi tall windscreen, and really like it. It's about 8" taller than the stock screen, and about 3" wider on each side. There is virtually no wind buffeting or turbulence on my head or body, just a slight buffeting on my arms, which I think you're going to get with anything but a Harley screen. A little over $100 (I bought mine on eBay).
I noticed that Axel F has pics of the Givi tall screen on page 12 of this thread. I'd have to say it is the best looking of the after market screens that I've seen.

Glenn
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #236
raftn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Here are a few pics from this weekends adventures.

[IMG]
P1000127 by Roger Fleming, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
P1000116 by Roger Fleming, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
P1000140 by Roger Fleming, on Flickr[/IMG]
raftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #237
ODGS
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennmack View Post
I noticed that Axel F has pics of the Givi tall screen on page 12 of this thread. I'd have to say it is the best looking of the after market screens that I've seen.

Glenn
I finally ordered Givi I think it looks really good and I heard a lot of good things about it. I'd love to order PUIG but couldn't find a dealer/store selling this model. (5649W or H)

ODGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #238
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NoNo View Post

If you have the 09 G650GS, I recommend the CeeBaileys. They have different lengths for different height riders. I am 5'10", with 32" inseam, and I have the 20" CeeBailey, perfect fit.
I bought the OEM BMW tall version and it was a waste of money.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #239
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
If you have the 09 G650GS, I recommend the CeeBaileys. They have different lengths for different height riders. I am 5'10", with 32" inseam, and I have the 20" CeeBailey, perfect fit.
I bought the OEM BMW tall version and it was a waste of money.
+1 on the CeeBailey. I'm 6'1" and their screens are very well made. I did have to buy 4 spacers to distance the edges of the windshield from my mirrors, on lock to lock turns.

I think there might be a picture of it on one of the posts that started this thread...
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #240
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
+1 on the CeeBailey. I'm 6'1" and their screens are very well made. I did have to buy 4 spacers to distance the edges of the windshield from my mirrors, on lock to lock turns.

I think there might be a picture of it on one of the posts that started this thread...
I just moved my mirror stalks in about 1/2" and good to go; on lock to lock turn (which I very rarely do), I have about 1/2 milimeter space between shield and mirrors. I just used the spacers which came with the windshield.

Davidc83 screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 06:57 AM Reason: adding picture
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote