Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #241
4NoNo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
I just moved my mirror stalks in about 1/2" and good to go; on lock to lock turn (which I very rarely do), I have about 1/2 milimeter space between shield and mirrors. I just used the spacers which came with the windshield.

Good to know about the variable height options. Thanks!
4NoNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #242
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83;18849700
[IMG
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo118/davidc83/BMW%20Upgrades/upgrades1.jpg[/IMG]
Hey, that's just like my Givi setup !
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #243
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Oddometer: 884
Lowering handlebars on 2011 g650gs

Hey everyone! My girlfriend just got a 2011 g650gs. She loves the bike but we are going to lower the bike 1" so she is more comfy. We bought the kouba links, new center stand and side stand. I understand that I should lower the handlebars about an inch as well with the changes. I believe it is as simple as loosening the clamp at the top, slide down an inch and tighten. I can't seem to find any instructions online just for further instruction. Any reply is appreciated.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #244
Axel F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdaddy View Post
Hey everyone! My girlfriend just got a 2011 g650gs. She loves the bike but we are going to lower the bike 1" so she is more comfy. We bought the kouba links, new center stand and side stand. I understand that I should lower the handlebars about an inch as well with the changes. I believe it is as simple as loosening the clamp at the top, slide down an inch and tighten. I can't seem to find any instructions online just for further instruction. Any reply is appreciated.
Hi bud

It is as simple as you describe, I'm not technically minded by any stretch but managed it. Get someone to help you to support the weight a bit when you loosen them off, A jack of some sort may help a little, if you lower it a bit too much easy to increase the height then without putting you back out

Axel F screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 04:34 PM
Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #245
Kayaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Hand grip

Have a 2009 G650GS with heated grips. The left grip cover is split in about 6 places (parallel with the handle bar) and the wires below are exposed. Can I just replace the cover? If so, any ideas where I can get a cover? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #246
seniordirtdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Blown Fuse

Did you ever find the cause of the fuse blowing at idle on the side stand?
seniordirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #247
seniordirtdog
Adventurer

Tie Downs

I just bought my first bike, a 2012 g650gs and love the bike. Does anyone know the best or proper location to place the tie down strap on the front so it can be transported on a trailer? It would appear that if the strap was placed on the forks it would damage the dust cover because of the bar connecting the forks.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #248
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniordirtdog View Post
. Does anyone know the best or proper location to place the tie down strap on the front so it can be transported on a trailer?
Yes. Follow the forks from the wheel all the way up, into the plastic. Where the forks connect with the triple tree, you should use the loop straps to wrap around the triple trees back down through the plastic. Then you can attach the ratchet type straps to cinch to your anchor point.

I know it sounds confusing but If you can't visualize it, let me know and I will try and snap a picture for you.

Alternatively, some people really swear by the handlebar strap system. It's comprised of straps that secure to your bar ends on your handlebars and has loops ends for the ratchet straps. It essentially "pulls" down on the handlebars.

I wouldn't wrap straps around the dust covers. Bad idea....
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #249
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for their participation on this thread. When I had originally approached the Mods about starting a separate G thread, they weren't to keen on adding another Topic to the forums so they told me to have at it....

The G thread started off a little slow but has gained some traction. Keep it going. This is a great resource for us G riders! The F's have plenty of their own forums !

Larry
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #250
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for their participation on this thread. When I had originally approached the Mods about starting a separate G thread, they weren't to keen on adding another Topic to the forums so they told me to have at it....

The G thread started off a little slow but has gained some traction. Keep it going. This is a great resource for us G riders! The F's have plenty of their own forums !

Larry
F the F's The original F singles look down on the G singles (so I was told by an F guy )

And...Thank you for putting up with this thread. It can become a great resource to the G riders.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #251
Fly Molo
Crazy Sniffable

Oddometer: 65
Thumb

Gs, Fs...all the same! No reasonable F owner "looks down" on anyone.

The more the merrier Larry!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #252
jc9995
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
F the F's The original F singles look down on the G singles (so I was told by an F guy )

And...Thank you for putting up with this thread. It can become a great resource to the G riders.
What's the diff....other than the new g bikes look better than my f single. :)

I too have enjoyed this thread.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #253
seniordirtdog
Adventurer

I am new to the bike world, so a picture would be helpful if at all possible. Thanks

Yes. Follow the forks from the wheel all the way up, into the plastic. Where the forks connect with the triple tree, you should use the loop straps to wrap around the triple trees back down through the plastic. Then you can attach the ratchet type straps to cinch to your anchor point.

I know it sounds confusing but If you can't visualize it, let me know and I will try and snap a picture for you.

Alternatively, some people really swear by the handlebar strap system. It's comprised of straps that secure to your bar ends on your handlebars and has loops ends for the ratchet straps. It essentially "pulls" down on the handlebars.

I wouldn't wrap straps around the dust covers. Bad idea....[/QUOTE]
Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #254
seniordirtdog
Adventurer

Thank you for the thread, it is very helpful for this new rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post

Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post

Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #255
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9995 View Post
What's the diff....other than the new g bikes look better than my f single. :)

I too have enjoyed this thread.
\
My 09 G looks just like the older F. But there are some differences, mainly in where parts and components were made.

But, great bikes all of them, and a great thread!