User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #391
Kayaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Light brackets

As recommended, I checked out for brackets to fit my wife's 2009 G650GS. The person I spoke with claims they do not carry a bracket for the 09 G650GS -- they have one for the F650GS only.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #392
Kayaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Whoops!

I checked out these guys:
http://www.ezymount.com/kits/ezymount_f650gs.htm
Nothing for an 09 G650GS.

Other ideas?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #393
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post

Other ideas?
The '09 G650GS is virtually identical to the earlier F650GS single. They are wrong, they just don't realize it. Sierra BMW explicitly sells it for '00-'10 GS singles. http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...50gs-kit-p-120
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #394

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel F View Post
I've not heard of anyone have problems getting this new fix under warranty here in the UK. The problem with this hot start issue is it can be hard to replicate. I don't know what your dealers problem is. As far as I'm aware they charge BMW for the work. I would demand the fix to be done or seek legal action. This has been very well documented now, tell them to look at this on f650.co.uk. Alternatively if they wont fix it demand a refund on the bike. There is a few who have got a refund over the issue. I doubt it will come to that. It's simple, they order new compression lever part no. 11.31.8.540.965, they fit compression lever. Job done and you will be a happy G650GS owner once again.

http://www.f650.co.uk/forums/showthr...tarting-issues

I'm still having the starting problem with my '12 g650gs, and the dealer is refusing to fix it, first they claimed that the bike already has that part number installed, I asked how he knew and he said its because he measured it.....I've not been able to find out when that part was created so can't compare when the bike was manufactured vs that part#... The bike left me stranded at a gas station after a 15 minute ride, and I had to call BMW roadside service to get it towed to the dealer :( I'd really like to get this fixed as the problem is repeatable every time I ride. I never thought they would refuse to honor their warranty....not sure what else I can do at this point, other than call BMW roadside assistance and have them tow the bike to the dealer every time it happens.
alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #395
Kayaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Light brackets

Thanks twinrider
Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #396
RetroRider2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Pulled the trigger two days ago. Now the proud owner of a 2012 White G650GS. Minimal farkles at this point (high seat, pivot pegs, kickstand foot, Sertau front fender extender) I have 234 miles so far. Need 600 by next week as I am taking it to the NC mountains and want the 600 mile service done before I leave.

Can't believe how comfortable & relaxed the riding position is. Whoohoo!!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the great info. I have been lurking since February and have learned a lot!

Ride Safe,

Steve (Florida)
Riding the Tail of the Gator (11 curves in 318 miles)
RetroRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #397
bajafrenzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRider2 View Post
Pulled the trigger two days ago. Now the proud owner of a 2012 White G650GS. Minimal farkles at this point (high seat, pivot pegs, kickstand foot, Sertau front fender extender) I have 234 miles so far. Need 600 by next week as I am taking it to the NC mountains and want the 600 mile service done before I leave.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the great info. I have been lurking since February and have learned a lot!

Ride Safe,

Steve (Florida)
Congrats Steve!
2002 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
1986 KTM 125SX (RIP)
bajafrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #398
netteb16
hangersoutters

Oddometer: 40
Quote:

Ride Safe,

Steve (Florida)
Pics or it didn't happen
netteb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #399
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:

Ride Safe,

Steve (Florida)
Congrats! I've had mine for a week now and am busy bolting things on. Send pics and let us know about about mods. Enjoy the ride....
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #400
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
As recommended, I checked out for brackets to fit my wife's 2009 G650GS. The person I spoke with claims they do not carry a bracket for the 09 G650GS -- they have one for the F650GS only.

Any other ideas?
I have one of these avail. I took it off for maint and just never put it back on. It is the frame mount, works w/guards but doesn't turn w/bars as most people like.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #401
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:

Ride Safe,

Steve (Florida)
Awesome! Im lovin' mine too!
I just picked up the BMW hand-guards that I ordered and bolted them on today... I like em over the generic TT ones.
Cheers
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #402
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 442
I just listed my 2010 G650GS in the AdvRider classified section. The bike it totally farkled out and ready for the TAT. Lots of spares too!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #403
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,424
It's been a long maintenance week for the GS and me.

What started as a simple tire change - going for the TKC 80 here - turned out to be sightly more complicated.
When the wheels came off, I looked at the sprockets. No doubt, they needed changing. My chain started stretching at a higher rate in the last 500 or so miles, so I knew I would have to change them soon, but I was hoping to finish the season on the old set. At 11k, the stock sprockets looked like this (new sprockets right next to them):
The front, especially, was pretty bad.

Every time I take my wheels off, I like to check the bearings as well. The front was fine, but the rear would not even turn when trying to spin them by hand (on the bike, however, I never noticed this). So out came the bearings and then it was time to shop for new ones (which I found at a local industrial supply shop at a low cost - same part numbers as the stock ones, SKF brand).
To remove the bearings, first I had to pry the seal out (with a dull blade screwdriver), remove a circlip, then knock on the bearings a couple of times to free the inner spacer. Once I got the spacer moving enough to tilt it slightly, I could get a long screwdriver in to hit against the bearings' inner races. A little heat from a hairdryer on the hub helped things along the way. I've seen some people use propane torches to heat the hub, but the gentle heat of the hairdryer did a fine job without melting any paint.
The sprocket carrier bearings are a little different. The inner bearing has to come out first, followed by a spacer, a circlip, and finally the outer bearing. Again, a little heat and they came out without any problems. You just have to move the spacer out of the way to be able to hit the inner race.
Before installing the new bearings, I cleaned everything really well (on the inside).

On the outside of the sprocket carrier there is a spacer that rides halfway in a seal. The trail-made lapping compound of mud and sand did a fine job in making two smooth groves in it. This would either allow more dirt behind the seals, or damage the seals over time, so I had a stainless steel spacer made at a local machine shop. There were also some rock nicks on the spacer.

A little cleanup around the front sprocket shaft, the rear carrier, and swingarm, and it was time for my new chain. I decided to go with RK XSO chain. I'll see how long it lasts under the harsh, Dualsport use. If I can't get any decent mileage from this one either, I'll be switching to cheap, non-O-ring chains and swapping them more frequently.
I cut the change to stock length, 112 links, then used a clip master link instead of the rivet type. Some people like the clip links, some don't. I have never had one fail, so I used one on this chain as well. I think the key is to install the clip properly. First I put the O-rings where they belong, then squeezed the plates together with a pair of 6mm nuts over the pins. This pushed the O-rings in place and, after removing the vise, install the clip without any issues. I then cleaned the outside of the clip and baseplate with brake cleaner, and applied a little RTV to secure the clip in place should it fail for some reason.
While the wheel was off, I noticed my rear brake pads were on the thin side, so I replaced those as well.
And then I found that my from sprocket cover has a crack at the bottom and two of the brass inserts (through which the bolts pass through) pulled out of the plastic. Fix it or Farkle? Farkle won, but that is a story for a separate post.

The TKCs do look nice on the bike though. :)
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #404
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,424
During maintenance, I realized that my stock sprocket cover was busted. First I thought about fixing it, but then the desire to farkle won.

How do you spell trouble?
The front sprocket cover is a simple, two piece design.

At first, it did not want to fit properly as the front kept interfering with an engine case bolt, but with a little bending it worked out. I opted for the original design vs the Rally style, as the original maintains some protection between the chain and the engine, whereas the Rally appears wide open on all sides. I know I've picked some stuff on my chain in the past I would not want hitting the engine case.
Since I was doing the sprocket cover, I also got the lighter, cleaner-looking chain guard.
Again, a simple, two piece construction with an extra ABS guard that goes on the opposite side.
The long vertical piece bolts to the chainguard, and then attaches to the bottom of the swingarm via a plastic hex spacer. Really? Not only those little bolts (3mm dia, IIRC) that attach the spacer are the weak link, but the lack of any through bolt leaves me wondering about the longevity of this piece. On the plus side, the hex spacer was far too long to fit:
So I modified it with a nylon spacer, and a 6mm stainless through bolt.
I also read some stories about the TT chainguard breaking from vibration, so I used some O-rings between the chainguard and the mounting points on the swingarm. Loctite is a must :)
Overall, not a bad looking piece.

I also reused the stock BMW bolts since they are Torx and I already carry Torx bits on my bike (for all the other BMW stuff). The stainless Allen bolts just strip too easily.

Here is the ABS guard, again, attached with stock BMW bolts and backed by O-rings.

So, my first impression of Touratech? Decent product at a not-so-decent price. The material could be much thicker and the instructions could be in English (German only). Shipping was fast and reasonable, packaging was exceptional, and their stuff is just...cool. The quality, however, could be better. Finish is rather nice, and there are no sharp burrs, but the parts lack "meat" for lack of a better word.

My homemade light bar and rear master cylinder cover are three times as thick.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #405
Rordog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Light brackets

Quote:

Other ideas?
I put the Ezy mounts on my 12 Sertao. You have to trim a little plastic off of a rib that is on the fender.
Rordog is offline   Reply With Quote