User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #751
matthelimech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Anyone added lights?

I am looking to ad some LED fog/driving lights, but am not sure where to mount them. Anyone have pics of some lights mounted??
matthelimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #752
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
First thing I added to my bike was the SW Motech engine guards and they've saved the bike several times on both sides.
Does the SW Motech guard protect both the engine and the upper plastic around the fake tank? It seems to sit between the two.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #753
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthelimech View Post
I am looking to ad some LED fog/driving lights, but am not sure where to mount them. Anyone have pics of some lights mounted??
You can see the lights if you look closely...
From the side it is easier to see how they mount:

Here's the actual mount:

You can make a much simpler mount by bending some aluminum flat stock but I wanted to make mine stronger. This mounts to two threaded clips on the fender.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #754
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by copter105 View Post
Are you interested in selling your original front rim at all?
Im selling both front and rear... PM me.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #755
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
FF: Finally Farkled

Finally farkled the GS up. Threw some Teeks on in place of the Tourances; got rid of that god awful possum scraper in favor of the touratech chain/sensor guard; and threw on some GS decals. I also have some after market mirrors on the way (I can't stand the Vespa circles).

The only thing I'm worried about is that I go out tomorrow and the decals aren't staying on. I used the "rapid tac" cleaner and application fluid. So, we'll see. Anyone have experience with decals coming off? Is there anything I can do to ensure 100% they stay on and don't start peeling at the corners?
kid_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #756
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
You really need both but i have the stock bash plate on my '09 and it's been fine even in CO. First thing I added to my bike was the SW Motech engine guards and they've saved the bike several times on both sides.

Guavadude, I was wondering about the SW Motech guards, at least in pictures, it looks like they are really closed to where one's knees would be, so I'm worried they would not be confortable if my knees are constantly rubbing against them, what do you think?
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:24 AM   #757
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
ive got the sw guards and they dont get in the way of riding/knees at all or stick out in the way of anything as being over wide

and seems to fit well with the hepco becker sump guard to give a overall protection in case of a mishap
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #758
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Well I got my bike back from the dealership yesterday. They are indeed aware of the issue and they gladly fixed it under warranty.

I know there has been a lot of talk about the issue, so I thought I'd put some actual info down from my dealership statement.

They changed the Compression spring and Roll Pin and the Decompression Lever.
They said the Compression Spring is a new spec and the Decompression Lever is a new design altogether.

Anyways... seems to work.. It's only been two days but no issues as of yet.

I did notice there is a huge change in engine "sound" and it accelerates differently... that could be a "placebo" effect but the engine noise is definitely different.
Thanks for posting info on this. I know several people have had this fix taken care of but no one has posted any specifics of what was actually fixed/changed/replaced. Mine is at the dealer and it's nice to know exactly what it needs in case I have any issue with them.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #759
Sight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Long time lurker first time poster. Well after a few years of wanting to explore the roads less traveled I picked up a 2011 G650Gs and can't wait to get out and Adventure. I've been reading through the posts here and have to say the info I'm finding has already helped me find and fix a few issues the bike has with out finding out about them the hard way (cracked wire for the low fuel light, ground wire on the battery needing some attention). So already I want to say Thanks for the info, I've been spared some headaches and I haven't really even gotten to ride it yet.
I do have a question about wiring that I'm hoping someone can help me with, I want to hard wire my GPS and an extra jack for my phone and I was wondering what people have been doing ? should I run another fuse block for that stuff, and if so whats the best way to wire it in ? and thought and or advice would be great. Thanks.

I'll get a few pictures up as soon as I put it back together.
Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #760
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
ive got the sw guards and they dont get in the way of riding/knees at all or stick out in the way of anything as being over wide

and seems to fit well with the hepco becker sump guard to give a overall protection in case of a mishap
Thanks very much for the info and pictures!!!
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #761
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight View Post
I do have a question about wiring that I'm hoping someone can help me with, I want to hard wire my GPS and an extra jack for my phone and I was wondering what people have been doing ? should I run another fuse block for that stuff, and if so whats the best way to wire it in ? and thought and or advice would be great. Thanks.
There are a number of ways to skin that cat...I recommend a fuze block.
This one is from www.fuzeblock.com but is also sold by others under house brand names. I used the tail light as a trigger for the built in relay and am running a volt meter, GPS, Pro Oiler, power to my tank bag, and heated gear. The "CE" labeled box is for the Pro Oiler. You will have to find another home for the tool kit but since the OEM kit is so limited you will probably want to replace it anyway.

pyoungbl screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 08:00 AM Reason: spelling
pyoungbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #762
seniordirtdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Where do you wire in the lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
You can see the lights if you look closely...
From the side it is easier to see how they mount:

Here's the actual mount:

You can make a much simpler mount by bending some aluminum flat stock but I wanted to make mine stronger. This mounts to two threaded clips on the fender.
Where do you wire in the light on the bike? Did you make the mount and where did you buy the lights?
seniordirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #763
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 718
The SW Motech guards are nowhere near your knees. Yes they protect the engine and upper faux tank plastic. They are easy to put on and are heavy duty. One major perk is that they stick out just far enough that I can rest my legs on them cruiser style without the need for highway pegs! They've saved the bike from being totaled so well worth the investment. Personally if I ever buy a new bike they will be the first thing I put on before I put gas in the tank.

I haven't seen the need for a beefier bash plate from the stock one that came on my '09. I ride with Anakee or Tourance tires so I'm not grinding away on boulders. If you are planning on going to full knobbies and are in hardcore terrain then yeah, beef everything up. The stock plate is fine for gravel roads.

If you haven't dropped the bike yet, chances are you will. The SWM engine guards let you pick it right back up. Also makes picking it up easier because it doesn't go all the way down.

I also highly recommend the new SW Motech pegs. They have removable rubber inserts for highway and are SO much better than stock. Wish I had done that long ago.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #764
mattharris75
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
The SW Motech guards are nowhere near your knees. Yes they protect the engine and upper faux tank plastic. They are easy to put on and are heavy duty. One major perk is that they stick out just far enough that I can rest my legs on them cruiser style without the need for highway pegs! They've saved the bike from being totaled so well worth the investment. Personally if I ever buy a new bike they will be the first thing I put on before I put gas in the tank.
Do you happen to have a 'full bike' picture of the SW Motech bars installed. Just got my bike a few months ago. All riding has been slab so far, but I am leaning toward getting these bars before I take an off-road trip next month.
mattharris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #765
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniordirtdog View Post
Where do you wire in the light on the bike? Did you make the mount and where did you buy the lights?
The lights are wired into the headlight using a pigtail sold by Dual Sport Touring http://webstore.dualsporttouring.com...rigger/dp/4729
The lights came from AdvMonster http://stores.advmonster.com/-strse-...Categories.bok and I used their controller.
The bracket is one I made up but, as I mentioned in an earlier post, you can make a simpler one from flat aluminum stock it just won't be as strong.

The lights themselves are being sold by lots of vendors. Some of the really cheap ones are...well, cheap. Mine are very bright but also not inexpensive.

Peter Y.