ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #826
Sight
Adventurer
 
Sight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Yeah that would be cool so I can compare it to my Leo V
got a vid of the Leo ?
Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #827
dr.cornelius
Adventurer
 
dr.cornelius's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatros View Post
I do not know if Wunderlich. I bought this crash bars at moment on the purchase of the bike directly to the BMW dealer. I like that it protects the engine better than others, for me more important than the plastics.
Skid plate and crash bars are BMW, I have the same set up on my '12 Sertao.
Nice looking bike!
dr.cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #828
greying
Gnarly Adventurer
 
greying's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Oddometer: 128
new to BMW

Hello, I am not new to motorcycles but I am new to BMW and looking to learn about my 2012 G650GS. I have not even ridden it yet because we still have snow and really crap weather. What are the real important modifications to make on these bikes? Is there another perhaps more appropriate GS specific site I should be checking out? I like to do most of my own stuff and since I am a considerable distance from the nearest dealer, I will be doing all of my maintenance. I bought the service cd from BMW so I can keep my warranty valid.

thanks for any advice
G.
greying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #829
matloik
kludge
 
matloik's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: PDX | Hood River
Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
Hello, I am not new to motorcycles but I am new to BMW and looking to learn about my 2012 G650GS. I have not even ridden it yet because we still have snow and really crap weather. What are the real important modifications to make on these bikes? Is there another perhaps more appropriate GS specific site I should be checking out? I like to do most of my own stuff and since I am a considerable distance from the nearest dealer, I will be doing all of my maintenance. I bought the service cd from BMW so I can keep my warranty valid.

thanks for any advice
G.
A lot of the information here is relevant as the engine is pretty much the same: http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/
__________________
'08 Versys & '08 450 EXC-R / '11 G650GS & '06 KLX250S (wife's)
Portland Area Off Pavement Rides ~ Hood River Rides ~ Vancouver Island Trip
matloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #830
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dazz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
Hello, I am not new to motorcycles but I am new to BMW and looking to learn about my 2012 G650GS. I have not even ridden it yet because we still have snow and really crap weather. What are the real important modifications to make on these bikes? Is there another perhaps more appropriate GS specific site I should be checking out? I like to do most of my own stuff and since I am a considerable distance from the nearest dealer, I will be doing all of my maintenance. I bought the service cd from BMW so I can keep my warranty valid.

thanks for any advice
G.
Good evening greying. The problem with the available free manuals that are not specific for the G650GS is that you NEVER know exactly what's the same on your bike and the manual. You can not trust the torque specs or really any specs listed unless you already know what's the same!

BMW has a cd manual for sale. That's what they use in the BMW shop. It's expensive but it's the best, that's why you bought it. So keep checking out this site, the Sertao site, the UK f650 site, and anything else you can. Ask questions. And then use your judgment as to whether you can believe other people's advice. Everyone really wants to help, it's just that they may not know as much as you.
Good luck.
__________________
1971 R50/5, 2013 G650GS
DRZ400S, KTM 250 XC-We
XR200, 1947 James ML
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #831
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight View Post
got a vid of the Leo ?
haha no actually... But there are a few on youtube.
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #832
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oddometer: 270
Where did you get the CD manual?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz View Post
Good evening greying. The problem with the available free manuals that are not specific for the G650GS is that you NEVER know exactly what's the same on your bike and the manual. You can not trust the torque specs or really any specs listed unless you already know what's the same!

BMW has a cd manual for sale. That's what they use in the BMW shop. It's expensive but it's the best, that's why you bought it. So keep checking out this site, the Sertao site, the UK f650 site, and anything else you can. Ask questions. And then use your judgment as to whether you can believe other people's advice. Everyone really wants to help, it's just that they may not know as much as you.
Good luck.
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #833
Sight
Adventurer
 
Sight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Where did you get the CD manual?
you can get the DVD here, $110.00 for the 2011..
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...-various-p-832

Youtube, wtf ?? Grab the camera, lets hear that BiOtCh !
Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #834
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight View Post
you can get the DVD here, $110.00 for the 2011..
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...-various-p-832

Youtube, wtf ?? Grab the camera, lets hear that BiOtCh !
All right all right... I'll record something this weekend. :)
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #835
greying
Gnarly Adventurer
 
greying's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Oddometer: 128
g650gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Where did you get the CD manual?
I got the manual from BMW Toronto when I bought the bike. Since I am in North Bay and the closest dealer is in Toronto, it made sense to get the service cd so I can do most of my own service. My son is also a mechanic and since he can never repay me for being his "dad", he will do some of my work (lol)
greying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #836
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
Murphy Slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
My son is also a mechanic and since he can never repay me for being his "dad", he will do some of my work (lol)
__________________
The Murph Channel
Acoustic Crazyness

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #837
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oddometer: 270
Is Ottawa further ?
Pretty much the same no?
How much was the CD in Canada?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
I got the manual from BMW Toronto when I bought the bike. Since I am in North Bay and the closest dealer is in Toronto, it made sense to get the service cd so I can do most of my own service. My son is also a mechanic and since he can never repay me for being his "dad", he will do some of my work (lol)
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #838
greying
Gnarly Adventurer
 
greying's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Is Ottawa further ?
Pretty much the same no?
How much was the CD in Canada?

Thanks
pretty much the same distance. Ithink 225 miles to Toronto and 245 to Ottawa but 4 lane almost all the way to COTU
greying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #839
BreakNeckSpeed
Adventurer
 
BreakNeckSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: the lowcountry of south carolina
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
I'm thinkng about buying at a 2005 F650 GS with 6000 miles. The owner wants $5000.00. It appears to be all stock except for a rather large wind shield. It looks pretty good (not much wear) except for a few minor scratches. The engine sounds good too.

It that a good deal?

Thanks....
maybe a tad high on the price but, 6k on the clock is pretty low...
BreakNeckSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #840
Sight
Adventurer
 
Sight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota
Oddometer: 59
Kenda BB's

Spent the last two rides slip'n and a slide'n so I decided to knob up, went with the Kenda BB's hope they do the job..

I want to shout a Thanks out to a fellow ADV'r and a good friend Dusty, you see Dusty lives close to me and has a little shop out behind his place with any and everything a guy could need to wrench on his bike. The real bonus to that is he lets me in when ever I need something. Well today I needed his tire machine and balancer and true to form it was "come on over".



Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014