Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #871
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
Ok, is the oil supposed to be checked when the engine is running? I checked,not running, it was low 1litre (brand new bike, not ridden since I picked it up from the dealer). I put in 10w40 went for a ride and got oil all over the engine. loosened the top and oil came out. I did check it cold but does it make that much difference?
First ride and I even got a flat! not a good start.
G.
Makes a HUUUUUUGE difference. I did this exact thing when I first got my bike. I came out, checked the oil cold, and almost shit my pants because there was no oil in it. Went to the auto shop, picked up some oil, came back, and filled her up. It didn't end up overflowing, but it was well past the "max" mark on the stick when I checked it after riding around.

Cold, the oil sits in the frame of the bike (so I've read). You truly have to go through the whole rigmarole of starting, idling until the fan kicks on, letting it run for another minute, shutting it off, and checking it.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #872
kid_A
who dat ninja

So, long shot, but has anyone experienced any rattling with these bikes? Sounds like it's coming from the dash (I have an '09, so I have the clunky grey monster dash). Not the keys. Not any screws that I'm aware of. Usually happens around 4k RPM. Only happens when I'm riding, not when I'm just revving.

Like I said, long shot, but I just didn't know if something was known to loosen up on these. I only have approx. 5200 miles on it. I don't know if it's something I should be worried about, or just a minor annoyance.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #873
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Engine at operating temperature but off, bike upright and level (not on kickstand). The exact procedure is detailed in your owner's manual.

It does make a difference, as you've already demonstrated!
It seems like it does, I got her all cleaned up, took a bit more oil out, I am going to order a new tire since I also screwed that up. First time in 40 years I get a flat on a bike and first time I screw up such a stupid thing as oil level. Hmm a senior moment perhaps :)
greying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #874
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_A View Post
Makes a HUUUUUUGE difference. I did this exact thing when I first got my bike. I came out, checked the oil cold, and almost shit my pants because there was no oil in it. Went to the auto shop, picked up some oil, came back, and filled her up. It didn't end up overflowing, but it was well past the "max" mark on the stick when I checked it after riding around.

Cold, the oil sits in the frame of the bike (so I've read). You truly have to go through the whole rigmarole of starting, idling until the fan kicks on, letting it run for another minute, shutting it off, and checking it.
Thank You for the input, I will learn that these are not Kawasakis!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #875
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Tires

Ideas on best rear tire for playing around, durability and value. Some dirt, some street. I could replace the OEMs but they don't look like they will be very good in mud.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #876
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
It seems like it does, I got her all cleaned up, took a bit more oil out, I am going to order a new tire since I also screwed that up. First time in 40 years I get a flat on a bike and first time I screw up such a stupid thing as oil level. Hmm a senior moment perhaps :)
Hmmm...I got a flat on mine very early on as well.

I'm sure you've got it all behind you now and you'll love the bike!
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #877
jdoxey
jdoxey

Oddometer: 20
I believe I've heard your vibration / rattle.... once in a while with the right or lack of wind conditions I'll hear it. I've poked around and made sure everything is tight on the dash, faux tank covers and all. It still shows up every now and then. I figure it must just be some minor plastic on plastic vibration or it's just in my head. 12,000 km on 2011 gs; if something were ready to fall off it'd be gone by now.
jdoxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #878
kid_A
who dat ninja

Quote:
Ideas on best rear tire for playing around, durability and value. Some dirt, some street. I could replace the OEMs but they don't look like they will be very good in mud.
TKC 80's. Hands down, Conti TKC's. I don't think I'll ever buy a different brand as long as I have this bike.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #879
kid_A
who dat ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoxey View Post
I believe I've heard your vibration / rattle.... once in a while with the right or lack of wind conditions I'll hear it. I've poked around and made sure everything is tight on the dash, faux tank covers and all. It still shows up every now and then. I figure it must just be some minor plastic on plastic vibration or it's just in my head. 12,000 km on 2011 gs; if something were ready to fall off it'd be gone by now.
Yeah, I'm trying not to be too paranoid about it. Getting my 6k service soon, so maybe they can check it out.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #880
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
Hesitation at 4000 rpm

I just confirmed that my wife's bike has hesitation at around 4000+ rpm, when accelerating from that mid range; it also stutters slightly on decel at that range. It might also feel like it doesn't have the spunk it should. I've got some ideas to dig into, but wanted to check in here first to see others have any wisdom to impart. Bike only has about 2K miles.

- Will check vacuum hoses (don't recall what's on this bike in that respect).
- Will pull off and clean throttle body. Hmm ... no syncing needed with only a single barrel. (The symptoms feel like badly out of sync t-bodies, I think.)
- I guess would not hurt to check plugs ... oh, and air filter.

I wonder if the dealership wrote in a new FI map when she brought it in for rear-wheel and instrument cluster warranty replacement. Anyone heard regarding maps for this bike? Anyway to reset?

Anything else? Cheers.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #881
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
I just confirmed that my wife's bike has hesitation at around 4000+ rpm, when accelerating from that mid range; it also stutters slightly on decel at that range. It might also feel like it doesn't have the spunk it should. I've got some ideas to dig into, but wanted to check in here first to see others have any wisdom to impart. Bike only has about 2K miles.

- Will check vacuum hoses (don't recall what's on this bike in that respect).
- Will pull off and clean throttle body. Hmm ... no syncing needed with only a single barrel. (The symptoms feel like badly out of sync t-bodies, I think.)
- I guess would not hurt to check plugs ... oh, and air filter.

I wonder if the dealership wrote in a new FI map when she brought it in for rear-wheel and instrument cluster warranty replacement. Anyone heard regarding maps for this bike? Anyway to reset?

Anything else? Cheers.
I haven't heard anything regarding maps -- I've got an '11 as well and have been following this thread pretty much the whole time.

You're still under warranty! Let the dealer deal with it, especially if the problem is reproducible.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #882
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I haven't heard anything regarding maps -- I've got an '11 as well and have been following this thread pretty much the whole time.

You're still under warranty! Let the dealer deal with it, especially if the problem is reproducible.
Yeah ... I do all my own maintenance, and it's easier for me to do some work than get the bike dropped off and picked up from the dealer. If only that was more convenient then I'd happily and rather have them address it.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #883
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoxey View Post
Could be the cam chain adjuster. It does get noisy sometimes on my 2009 G650gs (now with 33,000 miles :-)); and it only makes the noise at certain speeds in certain gears, and not always-sounds like something rattling.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #884
kid_A
who dat ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
Could be the cam chain adjuster. It does get noisy sometimes on my 2009 G650gs (now with 33,000 miles :-)); and it only makes the noise at certain speeds in certain gears, and not always-sounds like something rattling.
Could also be the ignition assembly, so I've read on f650 forum. Gonna check it out when I get home tonight.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #885
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Could also be the ignition assembly, so I've read on f650 forum. Gonna check it out when I get home tonight.

I had a vibration on my G650Gs for about a week that drove me nutts. Finally figured out I was missing the left side headlight screw. The headlight fixure was vibrating..