Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #886
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
I love how these vibrations occur at the exact moment when it's least practical/safe to diagnose them. I can just picture some asshole riding down the street going 45, with his head cocked sideways and his ear to the dash.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #887
vavoom
n00b

Oddometer: 3
catalytic converter

Anyone here have experiance removing the catalytic converter out of the 2013 BMW Sertao if so what was your result in performance if any
vavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #888
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
I just confirmed that my wife's bike has hesitation at around 4000+ rpm, when accelerating from that mid range; it also stutters slightly on decel at that range. It might also feel like it doesn't have the spunk it should. I've got some ideas to dig into, but wanted to check in here first to see others have any wisdom to impart. Bike only has about 2K miles.

- Will check vacuum hoses (don't recall what's on this bike in that respect).
- Will pull off and clean throttle body. Hmm ... no syncing needed with only a single barrel. (The symptoms feel like badly out of sync t-bodies, I think.)
- I guess would not hurt to check plugs ... oh, and air filter.

I wonder if the dealership wrote in a new FI map when she brought it in for rear-wheel and instrument cluster warranty replacement. Anyone heard regarding maps for this bike? Anyway to reset?

Anything else? Cheers.
My bike had a surging at 4k rpm that went away when I replaced the chain. A bad stiff link can make it run like that but I was at 18k miles. Quick and easy to check though compared to everything else.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #889
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
My bike had a surging at 4k rpm that went away when I replaced the chain. A bad stiff link can make it run like that but I was at 18k miles. Quick and easy to check though compared to everything else.
Hmm ... I will check the chain, to make sure all is lined up. They replaced that and the sprockets when the rear wheel was replaced. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #890
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Steering Damper

Anyone try one of these on their GS?

I hear its really handy in the dirt and there is a group deal that someone posted for the Ralle Moto RM2 Steering Damper for BMW in the vendors section that seems like a deal... wanted to know if anyone tried in on the G650 and how they liked it.

Cheers

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #891
Albatros
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_A View Post
TKC 80's. Hands down, Conti TKC's. I don't think I'll ever buy a different brand as long as I have this bike.
Look the Heidenau Scout K60, really 50/50, good look, durability and performance in all terrain.
Albatros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #892
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatros View Post
Look the Heidenau Scout K60, really 50/50, good look, durability and performance in all terrain.
I just bought a Heidenau, The Honda dealer (no BMW dealer close by) gave me a good price, got it in overnight and will be on the rim by tomorrow. Pretty good service I would say.
G.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #893
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavoom View Post
Anyone here have experiance removing the catalytic converter out of the 2013 BMW Sertao if so what was your result in performance if any
You could expect up to 5 hp, but without the oven underneath you melting plastic. Your mileage rate should go up incrementally as well.

Being well tuned can match the cat design: it was a half baked idea, especially for motorcycles. Energy is wasted evidence by the oven heat, that could be directed towards useful performance.

Your problem on your model (I have the carbed F650ST model) will be tuning the efi, which is razor tuned to a BMW oem budget. You may not be able to tune an efi any better than what you've got, unless you get a single delorto carb with a DS650 Bombardier 2 in 1 intake manifold ($20 off ebay used).

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandis...rtsectionID=20

The above carb was on a 1997 KTM Duke 620 rotax with about 55hp. Delortos are the easiest to tune and the highest performance available. EFI is impossible to tune except a very tiny window (not enough for ANY 3rd party vendor exhausts without pops and backfires and performance degradation).

Of course it may work, but I would not count on it. I wouldn't even count on tuning the vacuum stock carbs. The original butterfly carbs like delorto are the only reasonable chance for a good bottom to top throttle range and good gas mileage (when not getting it on). It will only cost you $30 for a tig weld job to find out, but you may scrap your exhaust which cannot be beat by 3rd party vendor exhaust in performance (maybe weight savings, but performance first).

What I'd do would be buy an used oem exhaust system off ebay and try it first. You may not have to do anything except get a used exhaust and a $30 tig weld cat removal. Good luck!

rride screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 01:08 PM
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #894
PhillyTransplant
Indiana Jones

Oddometer: 129
Twiddling my thumbs awaiting packages from everywhere for the wife's G650gs.
Top plate and Givi adapter from Twisted Throttle
Tank Pads and Mini Flooters from Wunderlich
Pivot Pegz and Bash Plate from Touratech
Light Mount bar from Sierra BMW

Already equipped with:
Center Stand
BMW Vario Cases

Next round:
Hand Guards
Side stand Foot
Folding shit lever

Anything I'm missing?
She's already racking up the miles, she loves it more than her last bike.
I will take a tear of humility from a bike rider examining his life on the side of a road over science any day of the week.
PhillyTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #895
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
Ideas on best rear tire for playing around, durability and value. Some dirt, some street. I could replace the OEMs but they don't look like they will be very good in mud.
I loved my Heidenau K60s for all around greatness. Fared me well coming in to corners hotter than expected, on reasonable climbs with loose mud/dirt, gravel, and rocky climbs. If you're planning on running mud bogs all day I wouldn't suggest them... or a G650GS for that matter. Other than that I never found them to be a handicap to my off road or on road riding. Some people have complained about performance on wet grass but my bike never sees any sort of terrain like that. They are $20-30 more a piece than the TKC80s but my rear lasted 6000 miles and my front still looks new. I just switched to D606s for a good chunk of dirt/mud I have coming up. Otherwise I'll probably be sticking with my K60s for the life of the bike. Perfect do it all tire for the perfect do it all bike.

Edit: Just saw that you went with the K60s! I hope they treat you as well as they've treated me.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #896
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I paid 180.00 for the tire and 30.00 for the install(cdn). Very fair deal!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #897
Boats313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I just put a K60 (140/80 17) on mine. $150 for the tire and a tube and another $30 for the install.

I almost went with the stock size, 130/80, but figure the sold center strip on the 140 will be better on the road where I spend most of my time.

Now, does anyone know the torque spec for the axle nut? When I tighten it down the wheel gets hard to spin, but when the wheel isn't hard to spin the nut doesn't seem tight enough. This may be one of those times where going by feel won't do.

Thanks,
Eric
Boats313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #898
dr.cornelius
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats313 View Post
I just put a K60 (140/80 17) on mine. $150 for the tire and a tube and another $30 for the install.

I almost went with the stock size, 130/80, but figure the sold center strip on the 140 will be better on the road where I spend most of my time.

Now, does anyone know the torque spec for the axle nut? When I tighten it down the wheel gets hard to spin, but when the wheel isn't hard to spin the nut doesn't seem tight enough. This may be one of those times where going by feel won't do.

Thanks,
Eric
74 ft/lbs- source: Riders manual, be sure to check your chain tension while your at it, I would think the difficulty in wheel spin would indicate that your chain is too tight
dr.cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #899
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
That's a good price, where'd you get them? I'm trying my first set of K60s. I didn't think about using the 140/80 17".
We should compare wear since we are starting around the same time. I should have mine next week. I usually get my tires from Revzilla but am open to suggestions.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #900
Boats313
Adventurer

There is a place local to me, he hooked me up with a military discount, regular price was about what you paid. Didn't have to deal with shipping. I think they are a distributor. The only thing they had on the web site was old school scooter helmets and aviator goggles.

http://www.moto-amore.com/
Boats313 is offline   Reply With Quote