Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #931
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
I just spoke to the service manager and he told me there were no bulletins associated with my bike. He says it is likely the battery needing a charge. I always have the bike on a battery tender when at home so I always leave with a full charge. He claims that you need to ride at 4000 rpm for 1/2 hr or so to replenish the power used up for start. I am not a mechanic but... Anyways, since he was not familiar with the bulletin, I sent him the details. I am curious though, if I have a no start and called roadside, would they bring my bike to the closest dealer which is about 200 miles away but is not the dealer I bought it from. It would be Newmarket BMW. Having a BMW is a learning experience :)
Well after a few emails and phone calls... The service manager called and said yes there was a fix but did not know why it does not show up as applicable for my bike when it obviously is. We just have to set a time when I can get it there for him. I suggested he gets the parts first so that I am not held up too long. I will look at the battery after.
Thanks for your help, without it, I would have been sluffed off.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #932
PhillyTransplant
Indiana Jones

Oddometer: 129
Electrical question:

Does anybody know what color wire is the hot come from the high beam in the switch?

Background: I'm installing some aftermarket lights on the wife's G650 and I want to run them on the High Beam switch. (So when the high beams are on so are the running lights.) I'm using a relay and all the essential stuff, it's just how I wanted it wired.
But I'm not sure which wire is the hot one.
If anybody the service manual, or perhaps has torn theirs apart and just happens to know, damn it would be helpful.
I will take a tear of humility from a bike rider examining his life on the side of a road over science any day of the week.
PhillyTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #933
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 670
from the Dakar wiring schem I have it looks to be the white wire.
I'm in the process of adding lights to mine so will know for sure in a day or two but from the schematic, that's what I'd be looking for.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #934
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Yup, this is the "hot start issue" which effects some of the early G650 engines, its fixed under warranty

Here is the bulletin: http://www.gravesurrounds.com/bike/hotstart.pdf

To quote another inmate "Basically, your engine number should be 61712400 or greater. If your engine number is less than the above, insist on the bulletin to be complied with before taking delivery. If the number is 61712400 or later, you are good to go." You can find the number on the engine case below the shift lever.
I was curious about this with regard to my wife's 2011. We have not yet experienced the hot-start issue--the bike fires up, but does take 2-3 audible 'cranks' of the starter motor, so I wondered if this extra strain was because the decomp is not sufficient. I checked her engine #: 63510624 so that is bigger, but it's odd that the VIN sticker's MFD number is 1110. Does '1110' mean manufactured November 2010? The Bulletin states the issue should not affect those after mid-June 2012. Hmm.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #935
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
I was curious about this with regard to my wife's 2011. We have not yet experienced the hot-start issue--the bike fires up, but does take 2-3 audible 'cranks' of the starter motor, so I wondered if this extra strain was because the decomp is not sufficient. I checked her engine #: 63510624 so that is bigger, but it's odd that the VIN sticker's MFD number is 1110. Does '1110' mean manufactured November 2010? The Bulletin states the issue should not affect those after mid-June 2012. Hmm.
The engine cranking a couple of times before firing is normal. I believe the ECU makes it wait through two revolutions before sending a spark (the number might not be right, but I read about the concept in general somewhere in this thread a while back when wondering the same thing).
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #936
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
The engine cranking a couple of times before firing is normal. I believe the ECU makes it wait through two revolutions before sending a spark (the number might not be right, but I read about the concept in general somewhere in this thread a while back when wondering the same thing).
Thanks for the info. It's odd though that the engine number is so high but it's a 2011.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #937
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Thanks for the info. It's odd though that the engine number is so high but it's a 2011.
Same here. Mine's a 2011 and my engine number is 64110737.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #938
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=reenmachine;21274707]Same here. Mine's a 2011 and my engine number is 64110737.[/QUOTE

Maybe it has to do with the fact that mine is CDN Version because it is a 2012 yet engine # is 609...., it has the abs option on it, heated grips and is a lowered version.
G.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #939
GordyMN
b00n-E

Oddometer: 244
Question 2009 G650 Factory low back to stock ?

Question - Picked up an 09, factory low for the wife. Would like to restore back to stock ride height.
Does anyone have info on doing this ? I imagine the rear may be just the links, but the forks I have no clue. They are not dropped in the clamps.

Thanks for the help !
GordyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #940
SNAPGADGET
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
My 2012 G650GS had the hot start problem. I took it to the dealer, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I came home and printed off the information I got on this site. after giving the imformation to the dealer, they ordered the parts and made the repair. When you go to the dealer, take this imformation with you. There is no official recall on this problem. My dealer said it falls into the grey area. Thanks for the heads up!!!
SNAPGADGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #941
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Help - Instrument Cluster Not working

My cluster failed today... Yes I checked the fuses and all the connections I could find. Also replaced the fuse just incase. Still nothing... No turn signals or anything.

It does say this on the LCD.

Thoughts?

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #942
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
I was doing some wiring to mine yesterday and had the same come up
thought i was in major trouble

I just turned the key off then on and started the bike and it all reset to normal again
[just had to set the clock]

hope that is all that it needed ......................seems ok now
Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #943
Sight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
[QUOTE=studioe6;21287289]My cluster failed today... Yes I checked the fuses and all the connections I could find. Also replaced the fuse just incase. Still nothing... No turn signals or anything.

Did you disconnect the battery to see if it resets itself ? also I read something about a plug on the back of the speedo that comes loose.
Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #944
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Yeah I did reconnect the connection in the back, did the fuse thing and the power/battery thing... Still Nothing.

I had this once before 4000 clicks ago and it came back with a simple reset of the ignition... not this time... It actually died while I was driving.

[QUOTE=Sight;21288084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
My cluster failed today... Yes I checked the fuses and all the connections I could find. Also replaced the fuse just incase. Still nothing... No turn signals or anything.

Did you disconnect the battery to see if it resets itself ? also I read something about a plug on the back of the speedo that comes loose.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #945
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPGADGET View Post
My 2012 G650GS had the hot start problem. I took it to the dealer, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I came home and printed off the information I got on this site. after giving the imformation to the dealer, they ordered the parts and made the repair. When you go to the dealer, take this imformation with you. There is no official recall on this problem. My dealer said it falls into the grey area. Thanks for the heads up!!!
This is exactly what my dealer said and would not have known about this if I had not scanned a copy of the bulletin for him. He is ordering the parts and will call me when they are in. I will then get my bike to the dealership (350KM) away. I did notice that if I leave my place drive three minutes to the gas station, fill it up and then no start. If I ride at least 1 hr and stop, it will start. It happened to me today, I stalled way the hell in bush turning around, it started right up. I got home turned it iff and went back a few minutes later and it started up, I did it again 2 or 3 times, no problem.