Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #946
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
My cluster failed today... Yes I checked the fuses and all the connections I could find. Also replaced the fuse just incase. Still nothing... No turn signals or anything.

It does say this on the LCD.

Thoughts?
When did you purchase your bike? There was a cluster recall -- mine was replaced in mad-late 2011. I never had a failure, but perhaps you are...

The only time I ever saw the message you're seeing was after a dead battery situation. Once that was rectified, the cluster reset and has been fine ever since.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #947
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
When did you purchase your bike? There was a cluster recall -- mine was replaced in mad-late 2011. I never had a failure, but perhaps you are...

The only time I ever saw the message you're seeing was after a dead battery situation. Once that was rectified, the cluster reset and has been fine ever since.

My bike is a 2011 so I am thinking its part of the "bad" batch of earlier production and they'll just end up swapping it out.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #948
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:

Quote:
My bike is a 2011 so I am thinking its part of the "bad" batch of earlier production and they'll just end up swapping it out.
My wife's was replaced, on her 2011. Odo gets 'reset' in the process.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #949
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
My wife's was replaced, on her 2011. Odo gets 'reset' in the process.
Yeah -- I "lost" 2,129 miles.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #950
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
I notice that if I happen to stall or turn off the engine after a 1/2 hour or so ride, it is not real happy to start right away. It sounds like there is barely enough juice to turn it over. I wait 10 minutes and away it goes. Is this normal for 2012 G650GS?

Thanks
It is a hot start issue. BMW replaces the decompression lever under warranty. This completely cures it. But BMW will not tell you about this. You need to tell them that you have the problem and you know about the solution. Some call it "the silent recall". Anyway, there is a BMW bulletin that deals with it. You only have until the end of 2013 to get it fixed under warranty. If you don't, you will have to pay for the fix.

Let me know if you need the bulletin, I can dig it out.

Good luck.
windowto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #951
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Let me know if you need the bulletin, I can dig it out.

Good luck.
The bulletin was reposted just within the last couple pages.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #952
Irish_Son
I'd jump it

Oddometer: 41
Help I've exploded my Bike...ie Wiring

Help me Oprah Winfrey, Help me Tom Cruise!!!

Let me start off by saying that I'm more or less an idiot, probably more rather than less. So now that that's out of the way and I've admitted my stupidity please don't bring it up again.

While installing a non MOE battery on my secondary G650 this weekend I didn't happen to notice that the battery post were reversed from a standard BMW battery. I hooked it up and before I could disconnect the wiring system was literally flaming and smoking. I called my dealership and they said that the cost of a new wiring harness was $1200 and with labor and perhaps even a new computer it'd be pushing $3000 to repair. My insurance told me to get bent and I'm sitting here looking even more stupid.

My question is this, with my limited monkey skill and a used wiring harness could I rewire my bike? Is it worth it? Are there any kindergarten level guides I could use? Or am I basically screwed? Also, will my wife ever forgive me for flushing money continually down the toilet?

Sincerely,

Embarrassed, Ashamed, and Singed...

2010 BMW G650GS
Irish_Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #953
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Son View Post

Let me start off by saying that I'm more or less an idiot, probably more rather than less. So now that that's out of the way and I've admitted my stupidity please don't bring it up again.

While installing a non MOE battery on my secondary G650 this weekend I didn't happen to notice that the battery post were reversed from a standard BMW battery. I hooked it up and before I could disconnect the wiring system was literally flaming and smoking. I called my dealership and they said that the cost of a new wiring harness was $1200 and with labor and perhaps even a new computer it'd be pushing $3000 to repair. My insurance told me to get bent and I'm sitting here looking even more stupid.

My question is this, with my limited monkey skill and a used wiring harness could I rewire my bike? Is it worth it? Are there any kindergarten level guides I could use? Or am I basically screwed? Also, will my wife ever forgive me for flushing money continually down the toilet?

Sincerely,

My vote would be to go for it. Worst that can happen is that you'll have to give up and have it towed to the dealer, and that's exactly where you are now, so you've got nothing to lose by giving it a go.

I'd be shocked (ba-dumm tiss) if the computer doesn't have some sort of reverse-polarity protection. In fact, I'm surprised that things went up the way they did in the first place.

Replacing the harness should be pretty straightforward, and entirely plug & play. Pay extra attention to the routing, secure the harness well, and avoid or protect against sharp edges. Take LOTS of pics and copious notes every step of the way as you disassemble things!

Good luck!

P.S. We want to see pics of what it looks like now.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #954
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Son View Post

Sincerely,

Bummer, sorry to hear that. I say go for repairing it yourself. It might not be as bad as you think once you tear into it, you'll have the old one to look at as an example and you'll get a sense of accomplishment that will completely replace the sense of whatever it is you have now.

Anyone know why in the world the terminals are reversed in the first place?
It does make replacing the battery harder than it should be. Maybe it's a German thing, trying to mess with the rest of the world.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #955
Irish_Son
I'd jump it

Oddometer: 41
Here is the damage done...

photo photocopy_zpsa177ab53.jpg

photo photo_zps8c8134fc.jpg

2010 BMW G650GS
Irish_Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #956
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
I'd google and try to get more info from people this has happened to before....surely you're not the first or only.
I'd take a bunch of pics and then remove the tape on the harness. I'd check continuity on everything for starters and then try to replace the few wires that are toast, but I would just connect the wires and see what you get. I wouldn't just start with replacing the entire harness but if it looks bad enough then maybe that's what you want to do.

I'd get it rewired and see if it all works again, see if the computer is fried.

My point is I would try to see how much damage is really there before I just starting buying expensive parts. And by tearing into it a little more you can get a better feel for if this is something you can do on your own.

You might also reach out to the riders groups in your area. I'm sure there's someone with experience that will help you out.

If all else fails start writing checks and realize that some lessons cost more than others.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #957
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
i'd google and try to get more info from people this has happened to before....surely you're not the first or only.
I'd take a bunch of pics and then remove the tape on the harness. I'd check continuity on everything for starters and then try to replace the few wires that are toast, but i would just connect the wires and see what you get. I wouldn't just start with replacing the entire harness but if it looks bad enough then maybe that's what you want to do.

I'd get it rewired and see if it all works again, see if the computer is fried.

My point is i would try to see how much damage is really there before i just starting buying expensive parts. And by tearing into it a little more you can get a better feel for if this is something you can do on your own.

You might also reach out to the riders groups in your area. I'm sure there's someone with experience that will help you out.

If all else fails start writing checks and realize that some lessons cost more than others.
+1
Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #958
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Does it really start over at "0" ?

Quote:
Yeah -- I "lost" 2,129 miles.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 04-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #959
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Does it really start over at "0" ?
Yes.

The dealer put a P-touch label on the frame under the seat that says, "Cluster changed at 2,129 miles".
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #960
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes.

The dealer put a P-touch label on the frame under the seat that says, "Cluster changed at 2,129 miles".
Ahh... I was wondering.

Well my bike is at the dealer right now... hopefully I'll have it back Wednesday.

www.AdventureMotoX.com