Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #976
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 690
It's an RK 520 x-ring chain. He might not have any sets left but it was a smoking deal. The DID x-ring is also good.

The rear sprocket 49 change kicks the rpms up about 500. I notice more of a mpg difference from my right hand.
To me it's worth it not having the bike lug in 2nd and 3rd gear when going slow.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #977
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
It's an RK 520 x-ring chain. He might not have any sets left but it was a smoking deal. The DID x-ring is also good.

The rear sprocket 49 change kicks the rpms up about 500. I notice more of a mpg difference from my right hand.
To me it's worth it not having the bike lug in 2nd and 3rd gear when going slow.
I hear ya! E-mailed him, waiting back for response. Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #978
guavadude
de-composer

I took a wrong turn on a downhill Mtn road in CO and that gearing saved my ass by me being able to ride slow in 2nd gear.

Maybe I'm imagining things but on the hwy I think the bike actually rides smoother with less vibes. Seems like the engine smooths out around 5k rpms.

If Steve doesn't have the kits, just order the JT sprockets and I'd probably go with the DID chain because it's gold and looks cool!

Steve sends the chain already sized for the sprockets. You might confirm that length with him.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #979
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Quote:
I took a wrong turn on a downhill Mtn road in CO and that gearing saved my ass by me being able to ride slow in 2nd gear.

Maybe I'm imagining things but on the hwy I think the bike actually rides smoother with less vibes. Seems like the engine smooths out around 5k rpms.

If Steve doesn't have the kits, just order the JT sprockets and I'd probably go with the DID chain because it's gold and looks cool!

Steve sends the chain already sized for the sprockets. You might confirm that length with him.
Just put an order in with Steve. Anxious to see the difference.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #980
guavadude
de-composer

I really think you'll like it.

This was the first time I've replaced a chain so I had a more experienced friend come over. We used the clip on the masterlink and it seemed to be ok but now I've noticed that the front of the masterlink is stiff so I'm thinking we might have over tightened the plate when installing.
I'm going to get a new masterlink and rivet it now that I have a breaker/rivet tool.
There are several good videos on youtube, one is using the clip masterlink on an F650 and others show how to rivet. Just giving you a heads up.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #981
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Quote:
I really think you'll like it.

This was the first time I've replaced a chain so I had a more experienced friend come over. We used the clip on the masterlink and it seemed to be ok but now I've noticed that the front of the masterlink is stiff so I'm thinking we might have over tightened the plate when installing.
I'm going to get a new masterlink and rivet it now that I have a breaker/rivet tool.
There are several good videos on youtube, one is using the clip masterlink on an F650 and others show how to rivet. Just giving you a heads up.
This will be my first time too, will check out the you tube vids!
Moocho-grassy-ass!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #982
guavadude
de-composer

I'm going to get a new masterlink and use the one I have now as a spare.
Not sure if I overtightened the masterlink during install or if it's because I used brake cleaner to clean the link, which I now know I shouldn't have done, before I applied the RTV silicone. Hopefully I'll get it right this time around.

I did my first oil change today and that went well so at least I have some sense of accomplishment.

I also just finished up adding a Fuze block and some Vision X optimus LEDs which are badass. I'll post up some pics here shortly.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #983
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128

Funny you should say this because I was thinking exactly the same thing on Sunday coming home from work on the highway. Of course I need to be careful because I still only have about 600km on the bike but on my other bikes, it was the other way around.
greying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #984
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

broke down

not happy, bike has 600km, is 200miles away at the dealer, parts on back order, plus dealer could not cold start the bike. I never had that issue here, Anyways, seriously considering a trade for the F700GS. Hmm frying pan to the fire?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #985
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Has anyone added the touratech rad guards.

Wondering if the bike over heats?
I don't have personal experience but my BMW mech recommended against it since the bike runs hot to begin with.
I'm thinking chicken wire might offer some protection and shouldn't restrict airflow. That's on my list of things to do.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #986
guavadude
de-composer

@ Greying

What parts? What broked?
Seems like you'd take a big $ hit trading it in but if not then ride the 700 and see what you like better.
If I didn't already have my G650 paid for I'd probably do the F700. I do think the singles are better off road but each bike has advantages over the other.

Good luck, nothing worse than a dead bike during Spring.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #987
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
@ Greying

What parts? What broked?
Seems like you'd take a big $ hit trading it in but if not then ride the 700 and see what you like better.
If I didn't already have my G650 paid for I'd probably do the F700. I do think the singles are better off road but each bike has advantages over the other.

The damn hot start issue. They were supposed to have all the parts before I got it down there but alas, once they got it apart, they realized the parts are on BO. To top it off, they could not start it in the morning. I never had that but, I did notice the lights cycling dimmer and brighter when I drove it home the night before. I think the dealer will probably give me a fair deal or I wont trade it.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #988
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Sertao guy with an issue

Hey there,
I have a Sertao, but have an FI/exhaust issue that maybe someone can help with.
I put the Leo Vince exhaust on and it seemed fine, but I'm noticing some hesitation or stumbling when I'm on and off the throttle, putting along in 3rd or so around 2,500rpm's. Kinda like a carbeurated 4-stroke with the dreaded "cough and die" syndrome. The bike ran perfect with the stock pipe on it so I think the Leo has something to do with it.
A guy over in the Sertao section told me to disconnect the "red" plug under the "box" under the seat. No red plug to be found. The only box is the one directly in the middle with the huge plug in it. I found on the DVD that it is called the BMS Control Unit. It did not tell me there is a slide lock rig to unlock before you can unplug it. I figured it ok though and unplugged. The dude said to unplug the "red" plug and go have a beer so the computer could reset itself. I went for tea instead
I just took the bike out in the pouring rain on the dirt roads which now are mud so that had me working those ranges of rpm's pretty good. I think it is still hesitating. More over, a few times it backfired like a bastard. I can't be scaring the shit out of horses and little old ladies walking the shit-zu with her ipod on so that has to stop! My 10' Husaberg is FI and it will churn up some serious real estate right from the basement of the rpm's, all the way till my eyes are being sucked into their sockets without so much as a hiccup. WTF?! How can an FI bike run like this?
Can anyone shed some light?
Thanks

Edit-- And don't get me wrong. The chap who gave the advice seems like he knows a thing or two and is nice and is probably on to something. But the only thing I found to unplug didn't seem to do anything.

kdennan screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:50 PM
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #989
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
I don't have personal experience but my BMW mech recommended against it since the bike runs hot to begin with.
I'm thinking chicken wire might offer some protection and shouldn't restrict airflow. That's on my list of things to do.
Yeah thats what I was thinking.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #990
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
@ Greying

What parts? What broked?

I agree.. there are pros and cons.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote