ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #991
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Hey there,
I have a Sertao, but have an FI/exhaust issue that maybe someone can help with.
I put the Leo Vince exhaust on and it seemed fine, but I'm noticing some hesitation or stumbling when I'm on and off the throttle, putting along in 3rd or so around 2,500rpm's. Kinda like a carbeurated 4-stroke with the dreaded "cough and die" syndrome. The bike ran perfect with the stock pipe on it so I think the Leo has something to do with it.
A guy over in the Sertao section told me to disconnect the "red" plug under the "box" under the seat. No red plug to be found. The only box is the one directly in the middle with the huge plug in it. I found on the DVD that it is called the BMS Control Unit. It did not tell me there is a slide lock rig to unlock before you can unplug it. I figured it ok though and unplugged. The dude said to unplug the "red" plug and go have a beer so the computer could reset itself. I went for tea instead
I just took the bike out in the pouring rain on the dirt roads which now are mud so that had me working those ranges of rpm's pretty good. I think it is still hesitating. More over, a few times it backfired like a bastard. I can't be scaring the shit out of horses and little old ladies walking the shit-zu with her ipod on so that has to stop! My 10' Husaberg is FI and it will churn up some serious real estate right from the basement of the rpm's, all the way till my eyes are being sucked into their sockets without so much as a hiccup. WTF?! How can an FI bike run like this?
Can anyone shed some light?
Thanks
Hey kd,

We chat in the sertao forum already... As you know I have the LV also and like you I do get the back fire ones in a while... I've noticed that with the LV the bike runs a little strange the first 5 mins but once warmed up its all good. I am wondering if its the way the EFI is tuned for the stock pipe.
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #992
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Hey kd,

We chat in the sertao forum already... As you know I have the LV also and like you I do get the back fire ones in a while... I've noticed that with the LV the bike runs a little strange the first 5 mins but once warmed up its all good. I am wondering if its the way the EFI is tuned for the stock pipe.
Not sure. I get the bike good and warm for sure. Like yesterday when I thought I was running out of gas. I'd been out riding for an hour.
And I thought FI bikes (I'm probably wrong) would be pretty much immune to backfiring like a g-damn cannon.
Maybe Max, CT will have some insight for me tomorrow.
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #993
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer
 
Wisconsinkris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Not sure. I get the bike good and warm for sure. Like yesterday when I thought I was running out of gas. I'd been out riding for an hour.
And I thought FI bikes (I'm probably wrong) would be pretty much immune to backfiring like a g-damn cannon.
Maybe Max, CT will have some insight for me tomorrow.
Any validity it plugging the exhaust a bit to offer some restriction to see if that has any effect?
Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #994
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinkris View Post
Any validity it plugging the exhaust a bit to offer some restriction to see if that has any effect?
I have to take the bike down to Max and have them plug in and reset. I guess it only takes a few seconds. I'll call them today and pop and sputter my ass down there
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #995
ferals5
865+652
 
ferals5's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Goulburn, Australia
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
A guy over in the Sertao section told me to disconnect the "red" plug under the "box" under the seat. No red plug to be found. The only box is the one directly in the middle with the huge plug in it. I found on the DVD that it is called the BMS Control Unit. It did not tell me there is a slide lock rig to unlock before you can unplug it. I figured it ok though and unplugged. The dude said to unplug the "red" plug and go have a beer so the computer could reset itself. I went for tea instead


Edit-- And don't get me wrong. The chap who gave the advice seems like he knows a thing or two and is nice and is probably on to something. But the only thing I found to unplug didn't seem to do anything.
He'd had beer when he gave incomplete instructions but he did edit straight away to say the red clip changed later on. But you worked out the ECU unclipping procedure

So the reset didn't fix your ailments then ?

I think it's because you had tea
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #996
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
He'd had beer when he gave incomplete instructions but he did edit straight away to say the red clip changed later on. But you worked out the ECU unclipping procedure

So the reset didn't fix your ailments then ?

I think it's because you had tea
I don't think so. Maybe I need to drink some mushroom tea
If I get a minute this morning I'll give it another try. The conditions on the roads have returned to normal, so I'll be better to notice anything. Last night most of my focus was on staying on the road.
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #997
greying
Gnarly Adventurer
 
greying's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
I agree.. there are pros and cons.
I have to say that I love the 650, it has plenty of power for what I need, is more fuel effiicient, cheaper on insurance, size wise it feels right for me. On the other hand the 700 will be smoother and has tons more power but at about 4000.00 more overall, I am not sure. I think I will tend towards a 2013 G650GS. I am really concerned that I could have a lemon.
greying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #998
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker
 
ironmark's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Ithaca NY
Oddometer: 191
suspension and windshields

Maybe someone could save me the time of searching multiple pages of dialogue and help answer some questions about suspension modifications for my 06 G650GS suspension. While out in the woods last weekend she powered through everything I asked of her, but she bottomed out many times during rock ledge climbs, creek crossings, and other assorted obstacles. Any suggestions? Would also like to get a bigger windshield. Have been seeing the adds in the BMW rag for the Parabellums and their claims of increasing fuel mileage. Does anyone have experience with these? Am awaiting delivery of my new sprockets and chains .
__________________
99HD ROAD KING
2008 BMW R1200GS
ironmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #999
guavadude
de-composer
 
guavadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 696
The Dakar thread has tons of suspension info. Seems like Intimidators installed in the front help the diving issue. In the rear lots of people install ohlins or have the stock rebuilt. You can also change out the front shock with one from a Yamaha YZ.

If its just the rear bottoming out, crank up your preload knob. I always have mine set at least halfway up.

Windshields are a lot harder. You will probably have to try a few to find one that works for your height. I've tried the large Z Technic and it's a great but isn't quite right for my size. I'm selling it, if interested PM me. I'm currently testing the Madstad and it's working but they are pricey. Adding winglets makes a huge difference in air coming under creating noise.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #1000
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ctoldie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Northern CT. & Florida
Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
The Dakar thread has tons of suspension info. Seems like Intimidators installed in the front help the diving issue. In the rear lots of people install ohlins or have the stock rebuilt. You can also change out the front shock with one from a Yamaha YZ.

If its just the rear bottoming out, crank up your preload knob. I always have mine set at least halfway up.

Windshields are a lot harder. You will probably have to try a few to find one that works for your height. I've tried the large Z Technic and it's a great but isn't quite right for my size. I'm selling it, if interested PM me. I'm currently testing the Madstad and it's working but they are pricey. Adding winglets makes a huge difference in air coming under creating noise.
Are you using the winglets with the Madstad, and if so, what are you using for winglets?

Thanks in advance.
ctoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #1001
guavadude
de-composer
 
guavadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 696
I'm working with Madstad now trying to come up with something for the single 650s. In the meantime I've tweaked one on my own and it's made a huge difference. It's similar to this one in this link but without the curved front.....just a flat piece of plexi angled up so the lip is behind the front shield. I'm only using one bracket in the hole right above the blinker.

http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php...light=Winglets

There's days worth of reading about windshields out there.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #1002
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 618
Just an update on my Sertao and the poor running with the Leo Vince pipe.
Taking the bike to Max tomorrow to have the "adaptation values" reset. Quick and painless. I'm bringing my kit so I'll take a quick blast to test her out.
I'll post a report
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #1003
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Just an update on my Sertao and the poor running with the Leo Vince pipe.
Taking the bike to Max tomorrow to have the "adaptation values" reset. Quick and painless. I'm bringing my kit so I'll take a quick blast to test her out.
I'll post a report
thanks lets us know
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #1004
SemiJay
Mail Guru
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Oddometer: 24
2013 g650 gs

Have a little over 3 weeks on my new bike. Overall it has been a really excellent ride, but there have been a couple of hiccups that have me a little worried.

First off, on the ride home from the dealer the reserve fuel light came on, which was weird cause I watched them top off the tank, but I did not want to tempt fate so I pulled into a gas station to fuel up. It only took about .3 gallons before I was almost spilling out onto the pavement :/ So I ride home, light never goes out. Read the forums and saw there were some issues with broken / shorting wires leading to the fuel tank, checked out fine. Dealer was closed until Monday, so I just had to wait... Took it out for another ride and the light went out, and then came back on, and then went out. Took it to the dealer and they say the float is screwy and that the entire fuel pump needs to be replaced, which they are supposed to do on May 20th... In the meantime I am using the odometer for fuel, no big deal.

Next issue, the accessory socket doesn't seem to work, it is on the same fuse as the instrument cluster, which is working fine, so again I check the wires for obvious damage, or loose connectors, but no joy. Going to have them check it out when they are replacing the fuel pump.

Twice now it has not wanted to start after driving to the gas station and fueling up, I have had to crank it for awhile and rock the bike around to get it going.

Once it just shut off while riding home from work (about 20 minutes into the ride), wasn't shifting, no change in throttle position, just acted like I hit the kill switch, hit the starter while I was still coasting and it fired right back up, but was a little weird and I am glad no one was tailgating me.

They are supposed to do my 600 mile service while they have the bike apart, so I am hoping they find and correct anything that might be causing these issues.

I will update once I have something else to report (and hopefully it will be good news).

-Jay-
SemiJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #1005
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
Murphy Slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 1,378
Man, you guys are having a lot of issues with these bikes!

I was seriously considering one, I'm having second thoughts...
__________________
The Murph Channel
Acoustic Crazyness

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014