Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #1006
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiJay View Post
Have a little over 3 weeks on my new bike. Overall it has been a really excellent ride, but there have been a couple of hiccups that have me a little worried.

First off, on the ride home from the dealer the reserve fuel light came on, which was weird cause I watched them top off the tank, but I did not want to tempt fate so I pulled into a gas station to fuel up. It only took about .3 gallons before I was almost spilling out onto the pavement :/ So I ride home, light never goes out. Read the forums and saw there were some issues with broken / shorting wires leading to the fuel tank, checked out fine. Dealer was closed until Monday, so I just had to wait... Took it out for another ride and the light went out, and then came back on, and then went out. Took it to the dealer and they say the float is screwy and that the entire fuel pump needs to be replaced, which they are supposed to do on May 20th... In the meantime I am using the odometer for fuel, no big deal.

Next issue, the accessory socket doesn't seem to work, it is on the same fuse as the instrument cluster, which is working fine, so again I check the wires for obvious damage, or loose connectors, but no joy. Going to have them check it out when they are replacing the fuel pump.

Twice now it has not wanted to start after driving to the gas station and fueling up, I have had to crank it for awhile and rock the bike around to get it going.

Once it just shut off while riding home from work (about 20 minutes into the ride), wasn't shifting, no change in throttle position, just acted like I hit the kill switch, hit the starter while I was still coasting and it fired right back up, but was a little weird and I am glad no one was tailgating me.

They are supposed to do my 600 mile service while they have the bike apart, so I am hoping they find and correct anything that might be causing these issues.

I will update once I have something else to report (and hopefully it will be good news).

-Jay-
will wait to see what the dealer comes back with to tell you what is going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Man, you guys are having a lot of issues with these bikes!

I was seriously considering one, I'm having second thoughts...
name a brand that dont have issues lol
if i went thru all the threads of different model bikes reading the negatives on all bikes i would be walking around not riding anything
Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #1007
SemiJay
Mail Guru

Oddometer: 24
True enough, pick any product and you can find someone posting online about the issues they are having. That said, I have read way more posts by happy 650GS owners than than those with issues, so I am hopeful that the dealer can get my bike sorted and I can join their ranks :)

I hadn't seen anyone else with my particular combination of issues, so I thought I would put it out there, hopefully with an eventual resolution. So far, the dealer has been great, has a free loaner for me to take while the bike is in for service, so if nothing else it speaks to the level of service they provide when things go wrong.

Also, these have all been annoyance level issues, not show stoppers. Last bike I rode didn't even have an accessory socket, or fuel reserve light, or start in the cold... so I think I am still ahead of the game.

It would be great if I were not having any issues at all, but that is true of life in general not just BMWs.

And I would again say, that overall I am happy with my little thumper.

-Jay-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
name a brand that dont have issues lol
if i went thru all the threads of different model bikes reading the negatives on all bikes i would be walking around not riding anything
SemiJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #1008
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
am sure they will get to the source of the troubles
but keep us in the loop of there findings

not to make a excuse but a few smaller fuel outlets down here have caused problems with vehicles with there crap fuel they sell
some find even a change in suppliers have made a difference to there running
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #1009
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 705
I'm at 28k miles and the only real issue was a blown counter shaft gasket fixed under warranty. I've replaced the battery a few times but the shorai I'm using now seems better.

Check the 10amp fuse for the powerlet socket.
I had one blow when the dealer used the socket to charge the battery.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #1010
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 705
SemiJay, are you using a battery tender? You need to add an SAE plug to the battery and use a tender and at some point you need a better battery than the wet cell that comes stock. Not sure if the new bikes come with an AGM battery but my '09 didn't and the stock wet cell battery was crap.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #1011
HamAce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
'07 650 GS Dakar - idle thoughts..

Hi Everybody,

I have shared this thought about 5 months ago, and thought I had fixed the problem...but looks like it is back, with a vengeance.

I have had idling problems with my '07 gs Dakar. This bike is FI and has 28K Km's on it.

The problem: Bike starts without a hiccup, but as I run it, without any warning, the idle will creep up from the normal 1500rpm to around 2100rpm. It will stay at this rpm until I perform the reset procedure of: turning bike off/twisting throttle three times fully/starting bike again - problem fixed (for the time being).

The "solution" (according to my local BMW dealership): Replace the throttle actuator. This was a relatively simple procedure which I completed on my own.

This gave me about 6 weeks of time without the problem...until NOW!

If anyone could shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ham
HamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #1012
SemiJay
Mail Guru

No, but I will look into it. Thanks,

-Jay-

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
SemiJay, are you using a battery tender? You need to add an SAE plug to the battery and use a tender and at some point you need a better battery than the wet cell that comes stock. Not sure if the new bikes come with an AGM battery but my '09 didn't and the stock wet cell battery was crap.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #1013
SemiJay
Mail Guru

The manual shows the accessory socket sharing the fuse with the instrument cluster, hazard warning flashers, and optional accessories all of which are working. Is there another fuse in line somewhere?

Check the 10amp fuse for the powerlet socket.
I had one blow when the dealer used the socket to charge the battery.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #1014
Nickcamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
stalling after a rough ride

wondering if any inmate encountered this and if so do they have any info in solving the issue.

I went for a somewhat rough ride on my 09 g650gs with a lot of creek crossing with a bunch of splash up. I dropped the bike four or five times in some mud and sand. after all this when I would be riding in first gear or even in neutral with my hand off the throttle the bike would stall. this happened constantly for about 20 minutes, it stalled too many times to count till i parked the bike for about 10 minutes. when i restarted the bike it was fine no more hiccups.
A buddy suggested cleaning the throttle actuator.
has any one had this issue?
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #1015
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiJay View Post
Have a little over 3 weeks on my new bike. Overall it has been a really excellent ride, but there have been a couple of hiccups that have me a little worried.

First off, on the ride home from the dealer the reserve fuel light came on, which was weird cause I watched them top off the tank, but I did not want to tempt fate so I pulled into a gas station to fuel up. It only took about .3 gallons before I was almost spilling out onto the pavement :/ So I ride home, light never goes out. Read the forums and saw there were some issues with broken / shorting wires leading to the fuel tank, checked out fine. Dealer was closed until Monday, so I just had to wait... Took it out for another ride and the light went out, and then came back on, and then went out. Took it to the dealer and they say the float is screwy and that the entire fuel pump needs to be replaced, which they are supposed to do on May 20th... In the meantime I am using the odometer for fuel, no big deal.

Next issue, the accessory socket doesn't seem to work, it is on the same fuse as the instrument cluster, which is working fine, so again I check the wires for obvious damage, or loose connectors, but no joy. Going to have them check it out when they are replacing the fuel pump.

Twice now it has not wanted to start after driving to the gas station and fueling up, I have had to crank it for awhile and rock the bike around to get it going.

Once it just shut off while riding home from work (about 20 minutes into the ride), wasn't shifting, no change in throttle position, just acted like I hit the kill switch, hit the starter while I was still coasting and it fired right back up, but was a little weird and I am glad no one was tailgating me.

They are supposed to do my 600 mile service while they have the bike apart, so I am hoping they find and correct anything that might be causing these issues.

I will update once I have something else to report (and hopefully it will be good news).

-Jay-

Everyone should scoot on over to the Sertao thread for most all weird stuff that isn't answered here. Exact same bike with bigger suspension and front wheel.
The issue with the bike not starting after the trip to the gas station is the decompression lever problem. It has been posted by BMW as a service bulletin and not all dealers follow it closely and missed this. It is a warranty issue and the dealer will do it for free. Don't let them deny it either.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #1016
riders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
My wife and I both have 2012 G650GSs which we purchased last Fall. Early on hers didn't want to start very well after being ran so the Dealer replaced the decompression valve or whatever that is and it has been fine since. This Spring mine developed the same problem and they did the same thing to it and it fixed the hot start problem but now it doesn't always start real well cold; sometimes I let it turn over a few times and then stop and try again and then it starts; I mentioned it to the Dealer and they put it on the computer and maybe the bike just has to learn. Also, I noticed last Fall my fuel light never did come on so they replaced the whole fuel pump assembly and now it is extremely accurate as it comes on at 2.7 gallons used. I had a rear wheel bearing go out on mine which I guess is extremely rare as the Dealer said they had never warrantied one. I found out about it when I had a new rear tire put on and the guy that did it said the bearing was notchy and that was at a Harley Honda dealer where we have had tires put on for 20 years. We buy the tires and they mount them; our BMW dealer requires you buy their tires. I have 13,000 miles on mine and my wife has about 9,000 miles on hers. I did put a tall windshield on mine and the gas mileage has gone down so don't know if I will keep it on. We have had a lot of different BMWs and have close to 800,000 BMW miles between the two of us. We hope to take them on a 4,000 mile trip this July.
riders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #1017
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by riders View Post
My wife and I both have 2012 G650GSs which we purchased last Fall. Early on hers didn't want to start very well after being ran so the Dealer replaced the decompression valve or whatever that is and it has been fine since. This Spring mine developed the same problem and they did the same thing to it and it fixed the hot start problem but now it doesn't always start real well cold; sometimes I let it turn over a few times and then stop and try again and then it starts; I mentioned it to the Dealer and they put it on the computer and maybe the bike just has to learn. Also, I noticed last Fall my fuel light never did come on so they replaced the whole fuel pump assembly and now it is extremely accurate as it comes on at 2.7 gallons used. I had a rear wheel bearing go out on mine which I guess is extremely rare as the Dealer said they had never warrantied one. I found out about it when I had a new rear tire put on and the guy that did it said the bearing was notchy and that was at a Harley Honda dealer where we have had tires put on for 20 years. We buy the tires and they mount them; our BMW dealer requires you buy their tires. I have 13,000 miles on mine and my wife has about 9,000 miles on hers. I did put a tall windshield on mine and the gas mileage has gone down so don't know if I will keep it on. We have had a lot of different BMWs and have close to 800,000 BMW miles between the two of us. We hope to take them on a 4,000 mile trip this July.
Good morning Riders. Others that have commented on that reluctant cold start problem have traced the problem back to poor battery connections or battery going bad. These bikes are VERY voltage sensitive. Good luck. And it sounds like you guys are enjoying your bikes. Great.
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #1018
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
I had the decompression lever done this last weekend when I took the bike in for its 6k service. The problem didn't hit me too often, but I asked them to check it and they were able to easily reproduce it some how. For the rest of the weekend I stopped and started the bike several times without any problems. Seems to be good!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #1019
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Watts? Are you sure you don't mean amps?

Let me go to my manual and see what the specs are.
Good evening Larry. He actually means watts. Watts is a measurement of power. Amperage is the rate of electron flow. Watts equals voltage times amperage. No big deal but if he uses the listed watts rating for each component and compares it to the available wattage of the motorcycle it will answer his question. I don't mean to offend.
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #1020
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
thanks lets us know
All set!
Bike runs Purr-fect!!!! It took longer than a few minutes though. They warmed it up and test rode it and saw the issue. Stopped, let it cool completely, reset the values, started her up, warmed up and test rode. Ran great. Stopped, let it cool again and test rode once more. Ran great.
It was only just over $100
I went out yesterday and I can really feel a difference now. the bike is so responsive and the power more full and complete. And I can't explain it, but the exhaust note is somewhat subdued or mellow?
You do have to warm the bike up first or you will feel the stumble puttering in the lower rpm's
Gotta do it.