Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #1021
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
What are thoughts on doing the 6k service yourself? Has anyone successfully done this? I was thinking about doing it because I don't want to pay the $300 in labor if it is something I can reasonably do myself with the DVD and/or Haynes book. I wouldn't say I'm SUPER knowledgeable about motorcycles, but I'm not an idiot either. Any input on this? Should I just not be a tight ass and go get it serviced by professionals?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #1022
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
It's a tough call so here's my experience:
Motorcycling isn't an inexpensive hobby. I thought it would be but now that I have four years under my belt I've realized it's not. The bike gets good gas mileage and that's about it!
By the time you add up the protective gear, helmets, tires, services, farkles, engine guards etc, don't be surprised if you've spent more than what you paid for the bike.

At 6k miles with the bike still under warranty, I wasn't ready to do my own services. Now at 30k, no warranty left, I'm doing my own. I now have a torque wrench and the tools I need but when I started I was really focused more on the riding. I also didn't want my inexperience to contribute to a mechanical failure at high speeds.

So far I've done a chain and sprocket change, new brake pads, an oil change, added an additional fuse box, installed LED lights etc. I could do the 6k, and 18k services now but I'm still not sure about checking the valves so I'd pay to have BMW check and adjust the valves. There's a great tutorial on checking the valves and even with that it looks like it's over my head. If I had a friend nearby with experience and I could open beers while he did it that would be awesome. Actually my neighbor is a boat mechanic so I might show the tutorial to him and see if could help me.
(BTW, my valves at the 24k service still haven't needed adjusting. I honestly think they have the interval of service set way low to increase service revenue)

So 6k I say go for it, just make sure you know how it can effect your warranty. Or spend the money and day test riding other bikes while they work on it so you at least get some added value, and drink lots of free coffee.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #1023
MajorElint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Looking for a little advice.

My girlfriend mentioned to me today that she was having some trouble shifting her 03 f650, that the throws were heavy and it was chunking into gear.

With the bike on its stand I had her pull the clutch in so I could turn the rear wheel, when turned it I could tell I was moving the engine too. So clearly the clutch is not fully engaging.

Is it possible the clutch cable is worn out and not fully actuating the clutch, or worse that the clutch itself is wearing out.

What should I look for to isolate this issue?
MajorElint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #1024
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
You have the right idea. Check the cable adjustment and also look to see if any of the cable strands are breaking down at the arm on the side case and up at the lever. I have has similar issues like that on my dirt bikes. Never had a clutch go bad, so not sure how that would feel.

Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorElint View Post
Looking for a little advice.

My girlfriend mentioned to me today that she was having some trouble shifting her 03 f650, that the throws were heavy and it was chunking into gear.

With the bike on its stand I had her pull the clutch in so I could turn the rear wheel, when turned it I could tell I was moving the engine too. So clearly the clutch is not fully engaging.

Is it possible the clutch cable is worn out and not fully actuating the clutch, or worse that the clutch itself is wearing out.

What should I look for to isolate this issue?
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #1025
guavadude
de-composer

You should be able to find the F650 shop manual PDF online. That has the adjustment instructions. Also check F650.com FAQs
Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #1026
MajorElint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Took a look at it this morning and there was a ton of play in the clutch handle.

I was able to adjust it, but its maxed out now.

Guess a new clutch cable is in our immediate future.

edit
Just popped on her when she was riding to work, and I just got to push it about 2/3 of a mile back home.

MajorElint screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 12:02 PM
MajorElint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #1027
Nickcamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
any way to improve ground clearance

is there anyway to improve the ground clearance on my 09 g650gs?
can I just change the springs or do i have to chance the entire fork set?
also, i know they make the lowering links, do they make lifting links??
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #1028
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickcamera View Post
also, i know they make the lowering links, do they make lifting links??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3748
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #1029
Nickcamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Amazing!! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #1030
fetchfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Cheap handguards that aren't just plastic

Has anyone used these cheapo handguards on their G650gs? I have them on my girlfriends drz400sm and they really work well. I'd say they are stronger than the bark busters on my drz. Based on the bend to drop ratio on a long trip we did.

But anyway my bark busters don't fit on my new g650gs so if anyone knows if these fit please let me know.
fetchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #1031
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I second that +1
It's insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
It's a tough call so here's my experience:
Motorcycling isn't an inexpensive hobby. I thought it would be but now that I have four years under my belt I've realized it's not. The bike gets good gas mileage and that's about it!
By the time you add up the protective gear, helmets, tires, services, farkles, engine guards etc, don't be surprised if you've spent more than what you paid for the bike.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #1032
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
The damn hot start issue. They were supposed to have all the parts before I got it down there but alas, once they got it apart, they realized the parts are on BO. To top it off, they could not start it in the morning. I never had that but, I did notice the lights cycling dimmer and brighter when I drove it home the night before. I think the dealer will probably give me a fair deal or I wont trade it.
My bike is finally on the way home. Should be here in about 1 hr. It snowed today but who cares. I sure hope it is fixed properly, It has been two and a half weeks.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #1033
Sotz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
@fetchfire - fitted bark busters on my g650gs. No issues. No need for bar risers either.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #1034
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotz View Post
@fetchfire - fitted bark busters on my g650gs. No issues. No need for bar risers either.
Same here, but I assumed he was saying that his Barkbusters from another bike weren't a direct swap onto his G. Either way, I would think it would be cheaper to get the adapter pieces (since the backbone and plastic are probably the same) than to get another set of guards.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #1035
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotz View Post
I thought you had to use the 20mm risers that come with it?