Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #1036
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I thought you had to use the 20mm risers that come with it?
Nope. My kit didn't come with risers -- just what's shown here. Brake lines, etc. were all fine.

reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #1037
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
I think the kit for the older bikes like my '09 require the risers. Thx for the pics...looks good.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #1038
Backwardsit
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question Handlebar Riser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoffroader View Post
The wife and my bikes are ordered She went with the white one, with low suspension, oem hand guards, center stand, heated grips, accessory socket, sw-motech crash bar and engine guards/skid plate, and Heidenau K60 tires.

I went with the red one w/o low suspension, put every thing on the same as the wife's, but added solo seat w/storage, touratech adjustable windshield bracket, rear luggage rack, 34mm handlebar riser, and sw-motech quick-lock sidecarrier with trax 37 liter. More on the wish list, but have to save for a bit.
Did you need to have a longer brake cable fitted when you had the risers fitted? I looked on the Touratech site for the risers and they say that the brake cable needs to be changed for a longer one. Is that just them up selling or does it really need to change?

Had my bike 6 months now and managed to clock up over 17000km. Loving it!
Backwardsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #1039
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwardsit View Post
Did you need to have a longer brake cable fitted when you had the risers fitted? I looked on the Touratech site for the risers and they say that the brake cable needs to be changed for a longer one. Is that just them up selling or does it really need to change?

Had my bike 6 months now and managed to clock up over 17000km. Loving it!
I put Barkbusters on my '10 this winter. The kit from Twisted Throttle came with 20mm bar risers, which are great for ergos, but not as tall as the one that come with the Touratech kit. So you dont need the new brake line with the Barkbusters kit, which is one of the reasons I went with them, and they are bomber.

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #1040
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
When we ordered our lowered version, we were told that the center stand is not an option and will only fit standard height models.
There are 2 OEM center stands -I'm confused on this issue? It would seem that the "low stand" would work for a low suspension or perhaps for a link lowered std suspension MC too?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #1041
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
If you have the 09 G650GS, I recommend the CeeBaileys. They have different lengths for different height riders. I am 5'10", with 32" inseam, and I have the 20" CeeBailey, perfect fit.
I bought the OEM BMW tall version and it was a waste of money.
How tall is the OEM you mention? I'm 29" inseam & 5'8.5" tall so a bit longer in torso than my height. I'm considering the adj brackets & maybe a lip. It's easy to wast money on trial & error w/s choices.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #1042
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for their participation on this thread. When I had originally approached the Mods about starting a separate G thread, they weren't to keen on adding another Topic to the forums so they told me to have at it....

The G thread started off a little slow but has gained some traction. Keep it going. This is a great resource for us G riders! The F's have plenty of their own forums !

Larry
Thanks Larry, great thread! I am up to pg. 18 now & have to comment that the "exuberance" of many that quote postings that carry a picture or lots of pictures! causes this to be far more work to navigate through for actual information & there certainly is some good info in here!
When you comment about items which need to factor in your size, such as windscreen heights/choices state your height & inseam for others to learn from. While I have no problemo with a person that keeps a MC in their living room, it does get old seeing it after the "first" 6-8 times and causes the search for meaningful stuff to drag on & on & on & on & on...

kantuckid screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 02:22 PM
Old 05-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #1043
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajafrenzy View Post
Thanks man! I think this might work, the microfiche calls it a M24x2 drain plug! I'm gonna swing by the dealership next time I'm in Anchorage and see if I can compare them side by side before I pull the trigger! Thanks again!
Jeff, A caution flag went off in my head when I read about your "grinding off the magnet" on the F650 drain plug. If you google "how to grind a magnet" you'll see much to be said about the subject. What kind of magnet matters & it may have lost it's magic powers? Please revisit this subject & tell me if it still hauls in metal particles after grinding? Was it really too long to work in the 1st place or did you grind as a cautionary measure? Thanks!
P.S., do you have a "secret" fishing hole nearby we can talk about?, if so, PM me!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #1044
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosoever View Post
I ride the 800GS all year around...as for the hand guards....they are not going to make much difference when it comes to warmth. The airflow around the handle bars is intense. The heated grips help but the handguards only protect your hands from object hitting them. When it comes to farkles I would go....metal engine guard, crash bars, center stand, and a upgrade to HID lighting. Via BMW they off a 3rd party option that turns night into daylight. The existing lighting isn't all that great. When it comes to seating....I recommend Sargent...big difference in comfort. I am assuming you've already got cases, side and top on your bucket list.
Please say more specifics about the HID lighting mentioned here??? thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #1045
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabc View Post
I'm using the Wunderlich screen adjuster. I think it's a little less expensive than the TT one, and I like it a lot, works great.

Cheers,

Bill
Your inseam & your height will help me here??? thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #1046
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats313 View Post
I'm still looking for long enough button head screws. As it is had to order these and the only other ones I've found long enough were hex head. Hopefully I'll be adding a hard box soon and it won't be an issue. Anyone know where I can find M6x 70 mm button heads?
www.boltdepot.com or www.albanyfasteners.com

Fastenal is high! & also charges for delivery to their own stores on their own trucks! try these two places for lower prices & shipping-lots of places to buy have min. orders
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #1047
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Side stand for standard bike is pn 01 46 537 669 899, for lowered it is pn 01 46 53 7 669 901

Center stand for lowered bike is pn 01 46 52 7 686 769 and it is on sale from Max BMW for $126.95; for standard bike the pn is 01 46 52 7 669 895.

All this is available on the MAX BMW web site: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...3&rnd=03252011

Hope this helps some.

Peter Y.
My question is a different twist than the factory lowered G650GS-I have a std height version of the same(2012) but as I'm short I want to try a Kouba link for the extra 1". So, does the lower OEM centerstand work properly with a 1" lower bike with a Kouba link? Same question for the sidestand?
Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #1048
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
A dab of bule locktite on the clamp holding the muffler on....highly recommended. If you lose that bolt the muffler is just hanging from the pipe.
Does the removal of the right side muffler have any effect on the mounting of luggage racks on the right side, no matter what the brand might be? I will end up with OEM luggage racks,Hepco-Bekker or perhaps Givi.
I also would like a loudness comparison for the Leo Vince vs. stock. FWIW, I was mildly amused at the question, "what does the aft mkt exhaust do"? BMW's sound like Briggs & Stratton mowers with mud daubers in the exhaust plugging it up
Old 05-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #1049
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Seems to be a GREAT deal.

Warning! when you go to sell a MC in todays "cyber world" many potential buyers will go back & read every post you've made since Al Gore invented the internet! It's a way of looking for red flags about "the MC" as if you might have made a certain repair or had various problems,etc..
I'm an honest open seller, when I do sell but when it comes to price , that's my business! As an e.g. on my newly acquired 2012 G650GS-I'm not saying!!!!! what I gave for it
Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #1050
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post
As I'm thinking of 1" Kpouba links-which side & center stands might you have tried with the MC? I assume its a std height MC with 2" links? I've only seen 1" Koubas-how much space is left unladen over the rear tire? Thanks