Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #1096
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by alter View Post
I've had my g650 into the shop 4 times at 2 different dealers and they still haven't fixed the hot start issue, even deny that there is a service bulletin after I even told them a special part had been created to fix it. He even denied there is an issue, although its easily reproducible. he said all large single cylinder engines have this issue and also blamed American gas for the issue. He even replace the fuel injector once which didn't fix the issue. I've even emailed BMW to complain to no avail. This was my first and last BMW purchase. Its a shame because its otherwise a nice bike. I'm fed up with the problem and BMW not honoring their warranty. I'm selling the bike but I might try to get it fixed one more time until its sold. Thanks for the service bulletin link I'll print it out and bring it to dealer next time.
I went through basically the same thing. I copied the bulletin, it is a service bulletin, not a warranty recall, and emailed it to the service manager and also the salesman who sold me the bike. I also called BMW with all the details. Bmw took all the info including engine numbers affected as well my engine number and logged it. The problem seems to be that it goes by engine number not serial number so this way they claim it is not linked to your bike. The other issue is the dealer needs a special tool from BMW. My dealer did not have it and it was back ordered but they told me it was the parts (indirectly they were right). I had only 400KM on mine when it happened and it is also my first BMW. I am well over 50 and waited all my life to get a BMW so I was very disappointed. Now though, I am very happy and it gets better as it breaks in. I love it. Hang in there. I was going to trade it on Kawasaki KLR or a Honda NSX700. I even asked about an F700. I just fond that with BMW, service is not quick and lots of patience is required. I also heard that the parts wharehouse is moving which will also cause delays.
greying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #1097
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Seats..

I know this has been asked before but (butt) I have a lowered 2012 G650GS and the one annoyance I have is the seat. It hurts my tail bone after a short ride. What is the best seat/option to be looking at form your experiences.
Tks

greying screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 07:48 PM Reason: spelling error
Old 06-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #1098
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,753
Great Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
ive got the barkbusters on

no mods on the weights at all everything went straight on using them
just follow the instructions
heres the part no link i used http://www.barkbusters.net/products/205.html
BHG45-NP and the storm plastics is all i needed
__
I believe this to be a great investment. I'm willing to pass on the grip warmers, so the mod looks even better.

1. easy to mount
2. not as cheap as the hand guards on the sertao
3. helps absorb energy and protects handle bars. From what I've read, the G650GS handle bars will bend easily.

Kind of a dumb/noob question.
Percentage wise, how much stronger would this mod make the handle bar?

Thanks for reading.

PS. I could proably do this bike if I kept my 2003 Saturn Ion (liablity insurance) for winter and bad weather driving. That and to absorb some boring interstate miles.
My next AO would be Southwestern VA. The roads are very vascular. There are plenty 55mph zones with fun elevation climbs and turns. Off course the off-road stuff is there.

I'm currenlty thinking about purchasing a NC700X ($7,499) and a Suzuki DR200se ($4,199), and getting rid of my $1,200 car and just going all bike. However, the G650GS is a damn good comprimise between the two.
I'm kind of a minilmist, so I think the F700GS is an overkill.

The $800 + Sertao looks like a great up grade, but I'd never use the bike's full potintial. Plus, I've never ridden off-road!
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #1099
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
What a great day I had today!

Well my bike and I finally tried some dirt for the very first time, it was just awesome!
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #1100
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
__
I believe this to be a great investment. I'm willing to pass on the grip warmers, so the mod looks even better.
if you mean the genuine heated grips on the bike they are still there

just bolt right on

MOTORCYCLERALLIESAUSTRALIA
dunc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #1101
mattharris75
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post

Well my bike and I finally tried some dirt for the very first time, it was just awesome!
Congrats. But be careful riding in dirt with your panniers on. If you have a little 'get off' in the dirt that pannier will crack in half. And they sure aren't cheap! Ask me how I know... :(
mattharris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #1102
fetchfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattharris75 View Post
Congrats. But be careful riding in dirt with your panniers on. If you have a little 'get off' in the dirt that pannier will crack in half. And they sure aren't cheap! Ask me how I know... :(
I wish there was some guard you could get for them.
fetchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #1103
Trykart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Hi

Hey everybody,

Been on here for a while and figured it was time to say Hi. I'm pretty new to motorcycling and bought my first adventure bike, the 2011 g650gs, about two years ago. My buddy got a F800gs about a year later, and just recently we got another friend to get a KLR. I have no regrets with my purchase and am loving every minute of it. I bought it brand new and totally stock. Since then I've added all the farkles I could, getting most of my ideas from this site. Anyway, my friends and I posted a video of our first trip together in the Day Trippin thread, Ill post the link below.

Thanks all and ride safe!

Tom

Me and my buddies first "big" trip last year. My new panniers with the new 'customized' dents and scratches.

A lighting storm hit the night before...we ran into a lot of these signs due to the fires.

Look what I killed all by myself!!!

And here's the link to our Day Trippin report/video:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896199
Trykart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #1104
Trykart
Adventurer

Center Stand

So has anyone here installed the center stand on their own? I just tried to put the SW Motech one on my bike and cussed a lot before giving up. Now I'm drinking beer and feel better.

The instructions say to hook the springs up first, then to put the stand into position. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what, but getting the stand "into position" to put the bolts in is almost impossible with the springs already attached. So I tried to bolt the stand into place first and then put the springs on, but failed there too because the springs were too hard to pull and set.

Any tips or suggestions? And yes I suck at doing anything mechanical.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #1105
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I saw one trick with springs where they pre-extended it and stacked washers in between the coils so when it relaxed it stayed extended.
Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #1106
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trykart View Post
So has anyone here installed the center stand on their own? I just tried to put the SW Motech one on my bike and cussed a lot before giving up. Now I'm drinking beer and feel better.

The instructions say to hook the springs up first, then to put the stand into position. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what, but getting the stand "into position" to put the bolts in is almost impossible with the springs already attached. So I tried to bolt the stand into place first and then put the springs on, but failed there too because the springs were too hard to pull and set.

Any tips or suggestions? And yes I suck at doing anything mechanical.

Thanks!
I installed a BMW centerstand on my 2009. Put the center stand on
and use a spring puller to install the springs.
ctoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #1107
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Trykart;21672158]Hey everybody,

Been on here for a while and figured it was time to say Hi. I'm pretty new to motorcycling and bought my first adventure bike, the 2011 g650gs, about two years ago. My buddy got a F800gs about a year later, and just recently we got another friend to get a KLR. I have no regrets with my purchase and am loving every minute of it. I bought it brand new and totally stock. Since then I've added all the farkles I could, getting most of my ideas from this site. Anyway, my friends and I posted a video of our first trip together in the Day Trippin thread, Ill post the link below.

Thanks all and ride safe!

Tom

Me and my buddies first "big" trip last year. My new panniers with the new 'customized' dents and scratches.

A lighting storm hit the night before...we ran into a lot of these signs due to the fires.

Look what I killed all by myself!!!

Hi, I was looking at the picture of your bike and wonder if you have risers on the handlebars as well as what brand of crash bar do you have. How does your windshield set up work.

Tks
G.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1108
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
Seat Concepts- Dakar height?

I've tried a few times to adjust the foam on my stock seat to flatten it out and have had some success. It's better now than it was but I'm also using a Walmart waffle pad and a sheepskin. So I'm going to pull the trigger on a seatconcepts.com seat and only keep using the sheepskin, ditching the waffle pad.
Wondering if I should go with the Dakar height seat or the stock height. I'm leaning toward the Dakar even though I have a 30" inseam. I can always cut it down if needed and the low height version looks like there isn't much padding left at all.
Any seat concept users out there who went from stock to Dakar height and lived to tell about it and still touch the ground?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #1109
Trykart
Adventurer

Greying,

The crashbars are made by sw motech and I got them from twisted throttle. The windscreen is the mra vario touring screen also from twisted throttle. I have it attached to the adjustable windshield bracket from touratech. I have 34mm touratech bar risers installed. Pulls all the cables kinda tight and I ended up getting the front brake line extender. The rest of the cables are just fine after a little adjusting.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #1110
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I've tried a few times to adjust the foam on my stock seat to flatten it out and have had some success. It's better now than it was but I'm also using a Walmart waffle pad and a sheepskin. So I'm going to pull the trigger on a seatconcepts.com seat and only keep using the sheepskin, ditching the waffle pad.
Wondering if I should go with the Dakar height seat or the stock height. I'm leaning toward the Dakar even though I have a 30" inseam. I can always cut it down if needed and the low height version looks like there isn't much padding left at all.
Any seat concept users out there who went from stock to Dakar height and lived to tell about it and still touch the ground?
I have been thinking about trying to find a used seat at a reasonable price so I can fart around with it. I have a 30" inseam as well, at least I used to, and I have the lowered version of the GS.