Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #1111
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 734
I went ahead and ordered the Dakar seat. I can always shave it down if needed and I think the higher seat will give me a little area to hold onto with my legs when I'm standing up.

You can't just cut the foam down on the stock seat. You have to build up the front too and even then it's hard to get it very level. SC pours a whole new seat in a mold just like factory only it's not like a saddle ball crusher.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #1112
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Seat Concepts Review for G650GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I've tried a few times to adjust the foam on my stock seat to flatten it out and have had some success. It's better now than it was but I'm also using a Walmart waffle pad and a sheepskin. So I'm going to pull the trigger on a seatconcepts.com seat and only keep using the sheepskin, ditching the waffle pad.
Wondering if I should go with the Dakar height seat or the stock height. I'm leaning toward the Dakar even though I have a 30" inseam. I can always cut it down if needed and the low height version looks like there isn't much padding left at all.
Any seat concept users out there who went from stock to Dakar height and lived to tell about it and still touch the ground?
Hi Guevadude,

Just a couple of weeks ago I had the exact question as you, and I couldn't decide weather to go with the regular or the Dakar SC seat.
So I found this pictures on the internet comparing the original seat and the Dakar SC. (can't remember where I downloaded them from so can't give proper credits to the photographer) And I photoshopped one more to simulate what a regular SC would look like:

As you can see in the pictures, the Dakar is about an inch a half taller, and the regular SC is about an inch lower in the back of the driver portion.
So after this I still could not decide which one to get, so I ordered both, with the idea of seeing them sitting on my bike and get a better feel for them (I didn't install them so I could return whichever I decided not to keep)
So first of all, both SC seat are great, they are both very flat, so the slope into your balls effect is gone!
I have about 31 inches of inseam, and the regular SC felt definitely lower than the stock seat, but in the back on the seat (driver part) the foam is really thin, so I was worry that I would feel even more vibrations from the engine.
In the other hand, the Dakar felt really tall, I was used to flat feet, and now I was tip toeing.
So I contacted SC to see if they could modify or sell me some more foam to add to the regular SC seat, but they said they didn't have any of that same foam that they could provide me and that they didn't think that the cover would fit after I added more foam.
So I decided to keep the Dakar, and just like you I though that could always shave away some foam if I needed to.
I installed the Dakar seat last week, and I couldn't be happier, it is just amazingly comfortable, not only is flat so no forward sliding, but since the foam is thicker and nicer, it isolates you much better from the engine vibrations. I drove for a total of 14 hours over the weekend and there was no sore butt!

Here is a picture of my bike with Dakar SC:

mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #1113
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 734
Awesome! Looking forward to it. Thanks for the pics!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #1114
Trykart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks all for the center stand suggestions.

I tried the washers trick before with pennies, but it was tough getting them between the coils. I bought the spring puller tool today, but was having a hell of a time pulling the spring and at the same time trying to get the hook at the end of the spring in the little hole.

I ended up hooking up the springs first as the instruction said. I then used a ratcheting strap from my truck to pull the center stand into place so I could put the bolts in. Worked like a charm, special thanks to DeweyCox for the idea!
Trykart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #1115
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post

Well my bike and I finally tried some dirt for the very first time, it was just awesome!
how do you find the taller windscreen compared to the short one as i am going for one to kill some wind buffetting
and does anyone have one they want to sell as i priced one down here today

$450.00 will get a good secondhand one if someone is getting rid of one or am going to get one from the states new as its about half price from there
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 AM   #1116
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
how do you find the taller windscreen compared to the short one as i am going for one to kill some wind buffetting
and does anyone have one they want to sell as i priced one down here today

$450.00 will get a good secondhand one if someone is getting rid of one or am going to get one from the states new as its about half price from there
The first time I drove my bike on the highway the buffeting was so bad that I thought that my brain was gonna melt! So the first thing I changed was the windscreen.
Actually that is not the BMW tall screen (that comes with the Sertao) I found that one to be just a tiny bit taller than the stock one, and I saw a lot of reviews that say that it basically makes no difference.
By what I read in a lot of reviews the best ones for our bikes seem to be the Ceebailys and the CalSci, but In my opinion they both just completely ruin the look of the bike. So then I found the GIVI D5101ST screen. It's a bit smaller than those other two, but taller and wider than the Sertao screen... and way cheaper!
And man it makes a huge difference, almost all of the wind buffeting is gone. (I'm 5'10") and in my opinion it makes the bike look even better.

I have added a lot of farkles to my bike and I am kind of obsessive about choosing the right thing, I create Excel sheets with pros and cons and read all possible reviews until I drive myself crazy! But well at least when I finally decide for an option, I'm happy I made a good decision.

Here are some pictures of the screen:

Old 06-21-2013, 04:04 AM   #1117
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for that info on the screens [try to find a givi importer]
very helpful
and yes its always good to see what options are out there to help make decisions
Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #1118
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
thanks for that info on the screens [try to find a givi importer]
very helpful
and yes its always good to see what options are out there to help make decisions

This guy seems to sell worldwide:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIVI-D5101ST-CUPOLINO-PARABREZZA-TRASPARENTE-BMW-G-650-GS-2011-2012/370786661449?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D8537637985261904836%26pid%3 D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D370786661449% 26

Oh, forgot to mention; being 5'10" (178cm) it works great for me, but I saw some reviews about people that are 6' and it didn't work at all for them, and them, and then 5'11" had mixed reviews, so if you are taller than me it might not be the right thing for you.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #1119
DeweyCox
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trykart View Post
Thanks all for the center stand suggestions.

I tried the washers trick before with pennies, but it was tough getting them between the coils. I bought the spring puller tool today, but was having a hell of a time pulling the spring and at the same time trying to get the hook at the end of the spring in the little hole.

I ended up hooking up the springs first as the instruction said. I then used a ratcheting strap from my truck to pull the center stand into place so I could put the bolts in. Worked like a charm, special thanks to DeweyCox for the idea!
Glad it worked out for you Tom
DeweyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #1120
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
This guy seems to sell worldwide:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIVI-D5101ST-CUPOLINO-PARABREZZA-TRASPARENTE-BMW-G-650-GS-2011-2012/370786661449?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D8537637985261904836%26pid%3 D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D370786661449% 26

Oh, forgot to mention; being 5'10" (178cm) it works great for me, but I saw some reviews about people that are 6' and it didn't work at all for them, and them, and then 5'11" had mixed reviews, so if you are taller than me it might not be the right thing for you.
thank you for the link am enquiring on shipping to aus now
im a little under 5 10 so should work
Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #1121
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trykart View Post
Hey everybody,

Been on here for a while and figured it was time to say Hi. I'm pretty new to motorcycling and bought my first adventure bike, the 2011 g650gs, about two years ago. My buddy got a F800gs about a year later, and just recently we got another friend to get a KLR. I have no regrets with my purchase and am loving every minute of it. I bought it brand new and totally stock. Since then I've added all the farkles I could, getting most of my ideas from this site. Anyway, my friends and I posted a video of our first trip together in the Day Trippin thread, Ill post the link below.

Thanks all and ride safe!

Tom

Hi Trykart, nice bike!,

Those tires are the TKC80, right? How do you like them? I've thinking of getting those tires but I wonder how they perform on paved roads, twisties and at +75mph. How about braking distance on paved roads?
Old 06-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #1122
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
This bike is now #1 on my short list. A few questions.

Can they be bought for list, plus ttl, or is set up/destination ALWAYS added?

What are the valve adjustment intervals?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #1123
ff654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
What was the shipping and handling costs to the U.S.?

Quote:
The first time I drove my bike on the highway the buffeting was so bad that I thought that my brain was gonna melt! So the first thing I changed was the windscreen.
Actually that is not the BMW tall screen (that comes with the Sertao) I found that one to be just a tiny bit taller than the stock one, and I saw a lot of reviews that say that it basically makes no difference.
By what I read in a lot of reviews the best ones for our bikes seem to be the Ceebailys and the CalSci, but In my opinion they both just completely ruin the look of the bike. So then I found the GIVI D5101ST screen. It's a bit smaller than those other two, but taller and wider than the Sertao screen... and way cheaper!
And man it makes a huge difference, almost all of the wind buffeting is gone. (I'm 5'10") and in my opinion it makes the bike look even better.

I have added a lot of farkles to my bike and I am kind of obsessive about choosing the right thing, I create Excel sheets with pros and cons and read all possible reviews until I drive myself crazy! But well at least when I finally decide for an option, I'm happy I made a good decision.

Here are some pictures of the screen:

ff654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #1124
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff654 View Post
What was the shipping and handling costs to the U.S.?
That particular seller charges around $50 for shipping from Italy(where is made) to the US, so I ended it buying form a US store for $130 + around $15 shipping, I guess it is cheaper to ship in bulk to the US so if you buy it from an American online store with free shipping it ends up buying a bit cheaper. Like Revzilla:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-d5101st-windscreen-g650gs-11

Unfortunately when I bought mine, Revzilla showed it out of stock, so I bought it somewhere else:

http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts.com/product/GVD5101ST.html

which in my opinion ended up being a big mistake, not only they did not have free shipping but they assured me they had it in stock and ready to ship from two of their locations, but right after I place the order they told me it was out of stock and would take another week to be back in stock, and well after a month of many emails, I finally got the screen. Right about the time Revzilla got it back in stock. Me, I'll never buy from "Adventure Motorcycle Parts" again, next time I'll just wait for Revzilla, you can't beat their customer service!

mramosc screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 09:00 PM
Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #1125
impalla62ss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Questions: starting & washing

Hello All,

I have two questions on my 2011 G650GS.

Twice recently the bike will start, but as soon as put it in first gear the bike will die. The bike will start normally about ten minutes after that. Once this happened after a two hour ride and the second time it was the morning after a 300 mile ride. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't think this is the hot start issue since it has happened cold and the bike starts fine after a long ride.

Are there any components I should avoid if I use a coin-op pressure washer to clean the bike?
impalla62ss is offline   Reply With Quote