Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #1156
mmoore415
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
The pillion seat on the mini-GS looks better than the one my current motorcycle has!

From what my wife says on the subject, her biggest requirement is having something to lean back on because it makes her feel more secure. A top box with a back pad would fulfill that need.

Interestingly enough, at least according to the cycle-ergo website, her feet position would be about the same as they are on my Suzuki S40. The big change would be the fact that the pegs on the G650 aren't mounted to the swing arm, so she wouldn't have to put up with every bump in the road being directly transmitted to her feet.

I probably answered my own question for the most part when I posted it last night while a little PUI. I'll just need to take her to the dealer with me when the time comes and have her sit on the bike, and hopefully the dealer will let her go on the test ride with me. Just wondered if anyone who owns one spent much time hauling a passenger around.
I've got 10k miles on mine, about 3k of that two up with several 400+ mile days. To be fair, I came from a Sportster with a stock seat, so this may not be a fair comparison, but my wife has no complaints. In fact, she mandated that I get the backrest for the Harley, but says she doesn't really feel the need for one on the GS. I also recently purchased the Seat Concepts foam and had it installed (for my benefit). She says she can't tell the difference from stock.
mmoore415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #1157
Dstap65
OzNoob

Oddometer: 10
Enjoyed my 2011 GS so much that I bought my son a 2010 GS as well. Have ventured out on Wombeyan Caves Road and some of the side tracks already. Very muddy and tricky with the stock tyres. Looking to get some better dual tyres soon for weekend away at Yerranderie. Any suggestions?
Dstap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #1158
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
look at the mitas eo-7 tyres for a all rounder
but there will be lots of personal tyre preferences posted up
Old 07-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #1159
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
tires

Mefo's work good for dual purpose riding.
ctoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #1160
Nickcamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I love the Mefo Explorers as well!!
the tread is just right for off road and still nice to do 80 on the highway with no wobble. I actually just came back from a trip to maine on them. bunch of singletrack and 80 mph on the highway.
check twistedthrottle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstap65 View Post
Enjoyed my 2011 GS so much that I bought my son a 2010 GS as well. Have ventured out on Wombeyan Caves Road and some of the side tracks already. Very muddy and tricky with the stock tyres. Looking to get some better dual tyres soon for weekend away at Yerranderie. Any suggestions?
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #1161
mramosc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
New shoes!

I just changed tires a couple of days ago to TKC80s and so far I really like them. They feel really nice off-road, and on-road I can barely tell the difference.

mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #1162
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Hey guys, anyone ever lose a fork reflector? How about both of them? All that's left of them is some gunky residue. Any idea where I could find the pair without a trip to the dealer?
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #1163
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Yea, lost one somewhere in the last 9000 miles or so. I was thinking I could find something at a Auto parts store that with a little ingenuity will work out fine. Happy hunting.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #1164
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,979
Fuzeblock mounting location?

Does anyone have suggestions for a good place to mount a Fuzeblock? The spot where the factory toolkit goes is an option, albeit an awkward one, as it makes it near impossible to get at the screws for the Fuzeblock to open it. So, where have others mounted them?

Also, suggestions for a switched wire that I could tap to get a signal?
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #1165
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
I just installed one under the seat. I left enough slack in the harness to be able to lift it up for access. I don't have it nailed down to the bike.
I tapped the tail light wire for switched power and used the battery jump terminals for positive and negative. I used a posi lock for the tap but soldered and shrink wrapped the other connections. You can see where I wrapped the posi lock with electrical tape but someone posted that you can cover it with silicone so I'll do that too and re wrap it.

Pics are here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFCntfh
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #1166
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I just installed one under the seat. I left enough slack in the harness to be able to lift it up for access. I don't have it nailed down to the bike.
I tapped the tail light wire for switched power and used the battery jump terminals for positive and negative. I used a posi lock for the tap but soldered and shrink wrapped the other connections. You can see where I wrapped the posi lock with electrical tape but someone posted that you can cover it with silicone so I'll do that too and re wrap it.

Pics are here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFCntfh
Not to change direction of thread, but where did you get the
winglets that are on your bike?

Thanks
ctoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #1167
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
I made them. There's a good thread with a slightly different design on F650.com in the forum not the FAQ. I only have one mounting point and I think that's all they need. Makes a world of difference in turbulence coming up from under the shield.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #1168
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Hey guys, anyone ever lose a fork reflector? How about both of them? All that's left of them is some gunky residue. Any idea where I could find the pair without a trip to the dealer?
I lose all mine on all my bikes--intentionally. And I replace with a strip of retroreflective 3M tape. Cleaner look.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #1169
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
The first time I drove my bike on the highway the buffeting was so bad that I thought that my brain was gonna melt! So the first thing I changed was the windscreen.
Actually that is not the BMW tall screen (that comes with the Sertao) I found that one to be just a tiny bit taller than the stock one, and I saw a lot of reviews that say that it basically makes no difference.
By what I read in a lot of reviews the best ones for our bikes seem to be the Ceebailys and the CalSci, but In my opinion they both just completely ruin the look of the bike. So then I found the GIVI D5101ST screen. It's a bit smaller than those other two, but taller and wider than the Sertao screen... and way cheaper!
And man it makes a huge difference, almost all of the wind buffeting is gone. (I'm 5'10") and in my opinion it makes the bike look even better.

I have added a lot of farkles to my bike and I am kind of obsessive about choosing the right thing, I create Excel sheets with pros and cons and read all possible reviews until I drive myself crazy! But well at least when I finally decide for an option, I'm happy I made a good decision.

Here are some pictures of the screen:

well it has turned up from italy today
delivered for 157.00
looks good so will post up pics when on in a couple of days

thanks again mramosc
for the link
Old 07-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #1170
mramosc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
well it has turned up from italy today
delivered for 157.00
looks good so will post up pics when on in a couple of days

thanks again mramosc
for the link

Alright! can't wait to see the pictures.
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote