Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #1201
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
NYC is a jungle.
Sounds like it. Can you split lanes/filter at traffic lights?

The main thing I'd change about my G650GS if I were going to commute on it more and stop riding it off road would be to put narrower bars on. We can split lanes out here, but the stock bars feel really wide when doing so, especially with the Barkbusters, and they're right at side mirror level.

I commute on the FZ1 -- it's several inches narrower and I can zip right through without issue.
reenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #1202
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
yah the mirrors do seem to line up in the most annoying way.

meanwhile regarding highway driving with this bike,
its been crazy windy when im on the belt parkway (runs along the water).
im wondering if its because of the environment or because of the small windshield everyone is complaining about.

id like to take the bike out to jersey for weekends,
but not if its that windy the entire way.
mosey.levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #1203
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:

I need to research it more.
NYC is a jungle.
Hi and suggest you introduce yourself on Riding / Regional/ Northeast / NYC Commuters if you haven't already done so (along the hall). Sorry, couldn't send an active link.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 AM   #1204
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Originally posted this in the Sertao thread but maybe one of you guys will have an opinion on this as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Ok, so I installed the TT lockable GPS mount and the AMPS rugged mount for a Montana. Now my issue is that the AMPS mount has a regular positive/negative to hook on to the battery/splice in to a wire. I don't want to hook straight up to the battery because then I have to remove the GPS every time I leave the bike defeating the purpose of having a locking mount in the first place. I'd rather not splice in to a wire since there is a socket on the bike that I'm pretty sure is switched power (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken ). I have a car charger for a set of rechargeable batteries that I will never use. Is there any reason I couldn't just splice the end of the car charger onto the cables from the AMPS mount and call it a day? I'm a noob when it comes to anything electricity, so if I'm being a total idiot please don't hesitate to say so.

Also, here's a shot from a local get together a few weeks ago.

The guy right after me sunk his DR650 in there and we had to drain about a gallon of water from his air box.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #1205
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
Great pic!
Yes the aux outlet is switched but it might be Powerlet sized, it is on mine.
If your battery charger fits then yes it should work. Personally I'd just order a new powerlet male and wire that so you don't have a cable splice.

Another common option is to use the switched wire that goes to the small courtesy light bulb in the headlight housing but I'm not sure if the newer bikes like yours even have that anymore. When your key is turned to the first click, does a small parking light come on? The main function of this is to kill your battery when you don't turn your key all the way off so its no great loss to steal that wire for power.

I ended up adding a Fuze block for the GPS, aux led lights and a cig sized lighter jack I added on the handlebars that I use for my iPod/usb charger. I posted a link to pics a few pages back. I save that Powerlet jack for my heated jacket.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #1206
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
yah the mirrors do seem to line up in the most annoying way.

meanwhile regarding highway driving with this bike,
its been crazy windy when im on the belt parkway (runs along the water).
im wondering if its because of the environment or because of the small windshield everyone is complaining about.

id like to take the bike out to jersey for weekends,
but not if its that windy the entire way.
I'll be nice & save you the time it took me to read the whoooole thread after buying the exact same MC as yours. Here's some suggested w/s reading from my notes on this thread: page # 16,post234,78,post1169,31,post461,32,post513,37, post547 & the F650 FAQ's too. Avoiding wind is very similar to rain, etc., part of the world we live in. Honestly I get a chuckle thinking of someone that will ride in NYC then avoid wind!

Wanna buy a Dakar Borrego rear rack by TCI ? #86-100 for your MC-I'm taking it off mine??? PM me
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #1207
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Great pic!
Yes the aux outlet is switched but it might be Powerlet sized, it is on mine.
If your battery charger fits then yes it should work. Personally I'd just order a new powerlet male and wire that so you don't have a cable splice.

Another common option is to use the switched wire that goes to the small courtesy light bulb in the headlight housing but I'm not sure if the newer bikes like yours even have that anymore. When your key is turned to the first click, does a small parking light come on? The main function of this is to kill your battery when you don't turn your key all the way off so its no great loss to steal that wire for power.

I ended up adding a Fuze block for the GPS, aux led lights and a cig sized lighter jack I added on the handlebars that I use for my iPod/usb charger. I posted a link to pics a few pages back. I save that Powerlet jack for my heated jacket.
Thanks man!

I'm not sure what I'll end up doing. I'd like to have a regular Powerlet to 12v adapter that way I could take out the GPS plug and throw my phone/camera/GoPro on for a charge.

I'm not sure if that light is on my bike or not. I know if I turn the key one click to the right that's the ignition on position. If I go either one or two to the left it is a parking light, and then the steering lock (or vice-versa, I can't remember the order offhand). Now that I have all that in front of me, I'm pretty sure my bike doesn't have it. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken though. That would be a very convenient way to wire it up.

Eventually I'll look into adding a Fuze block, but for now I can't warrant it. I have no plans for aux lighting and I probably won't be picking up heated gear this year. I figured this would be a cheap way to keep everything juiced up in the interim.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #1208
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

A few in the Sertao thread seem to think that the power outlet is not switched. This could be specific to newer models or they could be mistaken. I'll check it out for sure when I get the Powerlet adapter next week. I just figured I'd mention it.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #1209
guavadude
de-composer

yeah the powerlet adapter is a good call. A voltmeter will let you know if it's switched and you should carry one in your toolkit for troubleshooting.
I picked up a small digital meter at Sears for $12 or so.

I only just added the Fuze block. Before I did it lofi and it worked fine. Just became too many things on the battery with the addition of the lights.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #1210
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
My '10 stock powerlet is not switched. I put on some aux lights and using a relay switched them off the parking light feed light someone else mentioned. I plan on adding another 12v socket behind the headlight the same way.

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #1211
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 477
I own two BMW's, an '05 R1200gs and an "07 f650gs. The aux power outlet on the 1200 is powered with the switch, but on a delay. When the bike is turned off, the plug remains hot for approximately 5 minutes then turns off. The electrical system is a Canbus set up, and there is no fuse box in the system. I just bought my f650gs, but after attempting to charge the battery through the BMW aux power plug, I suspect the same condition exists. The bike can be charged through the BMW plug with a charger made by BMW, it's pretty pricy, in the $180 range. The local BMW dealer just installs a Battery Tender lead on each bike they sell, I have done the same.
1987 Honda XL600r
sw3dl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #1212
guavadude
de-composer

I was wrong. My '09 Powerlet isn't switched either.
Sorry about that. I'm almost positive it doesn't time out after 5 min since there's no canbus on these bikes.

It's also easy to add a switch inline to the cable powering the amps mount but you'll have to remember to manually hit the switch.
One of the major perks of the Fuzeblock is the option for switched or unswitched power for every feed.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #1213
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Thanks man!

I'm not sure what I'll end up doing. I'd like to have a regular Powerlet to 12v adapter that way I could take out the GPS plug and throw my phone/camera/GoPro on for a charge.

I'm not sure if that light is on my bike or not. I know if I turn the key one click to the right that's the ignition on position. If I go either one or two to the left it is a parking light, and then the steering lock (or vice-versa, I can't remember the order offhand). Now that I have all that in front of me, I'm pretty sure my bike doesn't have it. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken though. That would be a very convenient way to wire it up.

Eventually I'll look into adding a Fuze block, but for now I can't warrant it. I have no plans for aux lighting and I probably won't be picking up heated gear this year. I figured this would be a cheap way to keep everything juiced up in the interim.
Hi, I have a 2012 G650GS and the powerlet is not switched. It is live, direct to the battery. There is a switched wire under the seat, right near the live battery terminal. This wire is for the alarm system as far as I can tell. You can always use a wire going to your headlights to feed a relay. This way, your draw on the circuit would be negligible and your power can then come right from the battery when the bike is running.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #1214
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
When your key is turned to the first click, does a small parking light come on? The main function of this is to kill your battery when you don't turn your key all the way off so its no great loss to steal that wire for power.
So true. My dealer even warned me of this when I bought the bike.
reenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #1215
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
How many miles are you guys getting a tank?
More specifically - from fill up to gas warning ?
And on reserve?

I just filled up my second tank since I got the bike. Seems to be about 110 miles until gas light comes on.

I didn't get to test the reserve at all as I filled up soon after light both times.