Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #1276
grayroamer
LTL B

Oddometer: 95
Question G650 GS and TIRE PRESSURE

Next month I'll be looking for G650 GS.
From what I understand they come with cast wheels and tubeless tires,
but you can order spoke wheels (also with tubeless tires) as an option.

On average I will be riding 90% road / 10% dirt.
In future, I plan summer rides to Colorado and doing a lot of dirt roads / jeep trails, once I get there.
Done that in 4WD, now it's time for 1WD. ;)

So, while for daily commute cast wheels seem to be the ticket,
I wonder about spoke wheels...

Also, do you guys/gals lower your tire pressure for dirt/off-road?
Any thoughts?
grayroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #1277
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 631
You don't mention whether you are buying new or used?
If used, the '09-'10 bikes come stock with spokes and tubes and a bigger gas tank. The newer bikes have the redesigned dash and headlight, a smaller tank and the cast wheels.
I think you'd be fine either way. I wouldn't special order the spoke wheels for the amount of dirt you are riding if you're buying new. Try to find a deal and then if you damage the cast wheels order some heavy duty spoked rims from Woody's or other shop.
You would have to be riding on some gnarly shit to damage the wheels and I imagine if you lived to tell about it you wouldn't be in a big hurry to do it again.

I took a wrong turn on Engineer's pass in CO and went down the wrong road and it was stuff I wouldn't want to ride my mountain bike over much less a 400lb GS. I bought a gps shortly after so I hopefully don't make that mistake again! Save your money on wheels and buy a gps!!

Dropping your pressure to 20-25 lbs makes a huge difference and more aggressive tires like a Heidenau K60 or knobbies help too. The good thing about cast wheels is that if you get a flat you can probably plug and go.

Now if you're planning an around the world trip then I'd get spokes for sure but for what you are planning to do, I'd just look for the best deal on a bike you really like.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #1278
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan000892 View Post
Not all of them. According to the bulletin (pdf), engines numbered above 61712400 (produced from mid-June 2012 on) had a new decompression lever to fix the issue.

Anecdotally, I bought my G650GS last July, have an engine number of 63011xxx, and haven't experienced the hot start problem even after 7,500 miles including several 500+ mile days.
I have a 2012 that had the hot start issue. got it fixed under warranty and has been great ever since, hot or not. I had to call bmw and give the bulletin #. Then I called the dealer with the bulletin details, emailed the bulletin to them with my engine number nit the bike serial number.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #1279
grayroamer
LTL B

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
You don't mention whether you are buying new or used?
If used, the '09-'10 bikes come stock with spokes and tubes and a bigger gas tank. The newer bikes have the redesigned dash and headlight, a smaller tank and the cast wheels.
I think you'd be fine either way. I wouldn't special order the spoke wheels for the amount of dirt you are riding if you're buying new. Try to find a deal and then if you damage the cast wheels order some heavy duty spoked rims from Woody's or other shop.
You would have to be riding on some gnarly shit to damage the wheels and I imagine if you lived to tell about it you wouldn't be in a big hurry to do it again.

I took a wrong turn on Engineer's pass in CO and went down the wrong road and it was stuff I wouldn't want to ride my mountain bike over much less a 400lb GS. I bought a gps shortly after so I hopefully don't make that mistake again! Save your money on wheels and buy a gps!!

Dropping your pressure to 20-25 lbs makes a huge difference and more aggressive tires like a Heidenau K60 or knobbies help too. The good thing about cast wheels is that if you get a flat you can probably plug and go.

Now if you're planning an around the world trip then I'd get spokes for sure but for what you are planning to do, I'd just look for the best deal on a bike you really like.

Thanks Guavadude!
I'm buying new this time.
The difference in price is like $400 between cast and spoke wheels... that's why I even consider them.
I know that if I decide to buy spoke wheels later, I'll pay much more.

As for Engineer's Pass - I once drove my Land Cruiser 80 down to Ouray on that "only short wheelbase vehicles"... "road"...
I don't plan to do that with little GS, but the rest of Alpine Loop is on my list... some day... ;)

I guess I will see what's available, as ones with spoke wheels come only as factory option
and there is definitely less of them than ones with cast wheels.
If they have one with spoke wheels, I'll get it.
Otherwise, I won't and I won't fret about it.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #1280
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 631
Yeah that's not the best way to get to Ouray! I was so jacked up by the time I made it down I rode around the mountain to get back to Lake City.

Spoked tubeless tires would probably be my ideal pick but I haven't had any issues and knock on aluminum, no flats in 30k miles. Some guys have two sets of wheels, one with knobbies but you'd have to be riding some serious dirt before you need that. I have the most fun on fire roads and just a good 70/30 or 50/50 tire is all you will probably ever need.
Don't be surprised if you ride more dirt than the 10% you're estimating now. I started like that and now ride dirt and gravel roads as much as possible.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #1281
grayroamer
LTL B

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Yeah that's not the best way to get to Ouray! I was so jacked up by the time I made it down I rode around the mountain to get back to Lake City.

Spoked tubeless tires would probably be my ideal pick but I haven't had any issues and knock on aluminum, no flats in 30k miles. Some guys have two sets of wheels, one with knobbies but you'd have to be riding some serious dirt before you need that. I have the most fun on fire roads and just a good 70/30 or 50/50 tire is all you will probably ever need.
Don't be surprised if you ride more dirt than the 10% you're estimating now. I started like that and now ride dirt and gravel roads as much as possible.
I know what you mean... my friend just bought his first motorcycle (KLR650) and at first he was riding on streets,
but now I keep getting texts about what he did on a dirt road here or a construction site there...
Old 07-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #1282
DaSaints
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Does anyone know when the 2014 models will be available at the dealership? I am looking to purchase and BMW's website has the 2014 model in black. They are not doing yellow for 2014.
Thanks!
DaSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #1283
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSaints View Post
Does anyone know when the 2014 models will be available at the dealership? I am looking to purchase and BMW's website has the 2014 model in black. They are not doing yellow for 2014.
Thanks!

The black looks nice! I'm guessing mid to late Aug ?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #1284
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Yep.

That's a looker.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #1285
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Wow.....That G650GS looks amazing in black.........!

FP.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #1286
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daritlan View Post
What made you chose these instead of the Happy trails system? I only ask because I’m in the market to replace the craptastic OEM ones with something bigger and sturdier and looking for outside opinions.
Happy Trails Panniers for refrence.
http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-F650G...ar-G650GS.aspx
[IMG]Untitled[/IMG]
worth their weight in gold, 290+lbs.
[IMG]Untitled[/IMG]
i got caught with my pants down...no patches, no spare tubes and no spoons!
http://www.happy-trail.com/Yamaha-XT...hee-XT225.aspx 7.5"w set.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #1287
mramosc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Awsome weekend!

I just attended one of Dr. Wong Dual Sport Riding Clinics. It was absolutely amazing, great for newbies like me getting into pushing their bikes into what they are really meant for!

And finally, by the end of the ride, my bike was as dirty as it has ever been....Great!

mramosc screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 01:49 AM
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #1288
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 490
And finally, by the end of the ride, my bike was as dirty as it has ever been....Great!
[/QUOTE]

Just as it was intended to be. Two things look best when dirty, Jeeps and Dual Sport bikes.
sw3dl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #1289
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post

I see you've got the new style cases. My dealer says they'll fit the older F650GS singles but has never actually tried it and BMW lists them as being for the '11s on. Is there any way that you can confirm if they would fit? Maybe you have a riding buddy with an older GS?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #1290
GordyMN
b00n-E

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayroamer View Post
Next month I'll be looking for G650 GS.
From what I understand they come with cast wheels and tubeless tires,
but you can order spoke wheels (also with tubeless tires) as an option.

On average I will be riding 90% road / 10% dirt.
In future, I plan summer rides to Colorado and doing a lot of dirt roads / jeep trails, once I get there.
Done that in 4WD, now it's time for 1WD. ;)

So, while for daily commute cast wheels seem to be the ticket,
I wonder about spoke wheels...

Also, do you guys/gals lower your tire pressure for dirt/off-road?
Any thoughts?
Gray - We picked up a new 13' for the wife this year and 'ordered' with the spoke rims. She hasn't been "off-road" yet, but have no regrets with the spoke rims running asphalt, gravel roads and two track trails. I like the look better anyway. Especially with that 19" front wheel looking all flat tracky. ;)

I say 'ordered' because if you go to your dealer and express an interest in this configuration, they can look up what's in que for import to the US and put dibs on it. IOW - you may not have to "special order" it at all. This is what we did and the bike was there in a week or so. In fact there may even be one at another nearby dealer they can arrange a swap for.

FWIW - She's 5'-5" and loves this bike. I'm 6'-2" and feel cramped on the bike. If you're an upper 5 footer, you may want to try the Sertao ? Completely anecdotal as I'm judging from my 800GS where you don't sit "in" the bike as much as the G650.
Hope that helps. Cheers !
GordyMN is offline   Reply With Quote