Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #121
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOSHUMOUR View Post
So... Due to floods, parts were delayed. But kit out was completed on Saturday!
Parts:

Aux plug.

CHAOS OUT!
Where did you fit the aux plug?
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #122
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynoJ View Post
Very nice! I like the high/low engine guards especially. Haven't seen that before...
Yeah Wayne, We were originally looking at an OEM/Touratech mix. But could not mount high guard with OEM Sump and Low guard.

THe touratech stuff was well priced, looks solid (i.e check that sump guard) and blends nicely with the bike.

We originally went Barkbuster VPS guards but....

*******IMPORTANT NOTE TO GGS RIDERS.... BE CAREFUL OF ORDERING BARKBUSTER VPS FOR HAND PROTECTION. WE HAD THEM FITTED, AND FOUND THAT THE ALLY BRACE RESTS DIRECTLY ON THE CLUTCH CABLE. THIS WILL RUB OVER TIME, OR IN A BIG HIT IT COULD FLEX AND DAMAGE THE CABLE. WE WENT BACK TO THE OEM PLASTICS********

CHAOS OUT!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #123
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 367
After being away for about 2 weeks I see lots of activity on the G650 thread. That's great!
Recently I made up my own engine guard. This is the inside view. Note that I welded on both sides of each join, for extra strength.
Right side, note holes to keep the R/R cool.
Left side. Not as much protection for the water pump as I would have liked but still much better than the OEM engine guard. This farkle is made from 1/4" aluminum plate.

I also have extra lights mounted. These are LEDs from ADVMonster.com. In this photo they are running at 50%, at full strength they are BRIGHT. They only draw a tiny bit of power and thus allow me to run a heated vest and electric glove inserts without draining the battery. I'm probably on the edge of available power with all that gear running, over the edge when the fan kicks in. For safety I have a digital voltmeter mounted. All this on a '10 G650GS. Oh, and I'm getting 65 mpg as long as I stay in the 55-60 mph range.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #124
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOSHUMOUR View Post

*******IMPORTANT NOTE TO GGS RIDERS.... BE CAREFUL OF ORDERING BARKBUSTER VPS FOR HAND PROTECTION. WE HAD THEM FITTED, AND FOUND THAT THE ALLY BRACE RESTS DIRECTLY ON THE CLUTCH CABLE. THIS WILL RUB OVER TIME, OR IN A BIG HIT IT COULD FLEX AND DAMAGE THE CABLE. WE WENT BACK TO THE OEM PLASTICS********

CHAOS OUT!
. If you ordered the correct model (BHG10-NP) and installed them correctly, they shouldn't be coming anywhere near the clutch cable. These are the exact guards I installed on mine, with no problems. The problem with the OEM plastics is that they offer no backbone to protect your levers in the event of a drop.

LarryGee screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 05:06 AM
Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #125
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
We want pictures. Before and After.
Before the box was opened:

After the box was opened:

I got the call from my sales rep this afternoon so I went down to check it out while it was still crated up. It should be ready tomorrow, but will probably pick up Thursday night or Friday morning.

Once I get it home I have the factory hand guards and tall wind screen waiting at home and the Touratech kick stand plate on the way. Also will be adapting my 1 gal Rotopax at some point and depending if I get the extened warranty I will be adding hard bags sooner or later.

Looking forward to a good weekend of riding!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #126
racwld1
n00b

Oddometer: 8
tuning question

i need to pick somebodys brain on a tuning question, my 650 runs great but maybe once or twice a day of riding you can either stop real quick or take a fairly fast corner and it just dies, i dont know if it is running out of fuel or i have it to rich, it has one of the wunderlich electronic injector mapping units and it runs great other than the stalling, any ideas would be appreciated. thanks.
racwld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #127
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by racwld1 View Post
it has one of the wunderlich electronic injector mapping units
My knee jerk reaction: take it off.

Why did you put it anyway? I never felt the need to improve FI response. The factory programming has good throttle response, great fuel consumption, and good power for a 650 thumper.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

mamm screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 06:54 AM
mamm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #128
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post

After the box was opened:

You may want to buy a front wheel. It rides better that way.

Just kidding! Very nice ! Enjoy and let the farkeling begin....
Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #129
mmoore415
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
i need to pick somebodys brain on a tuning question, my 650 runs great but maybe once or twice a day of riding you can either stop real quick or take a fairly fast corner and it just dies, i dont know if it is running out of fuel or i have it to rich, it has one of the wunderlich electronic injector mapping units and it runs great other than the stalling, any ideas would be appreciated. thanks.
I haven't added anything to mine yet, but I was sitting at a stop sign and noticed it was idling kind rough. I gave it some gas, let it idle again and it died. Did the same thing two more times until I got home. Turned it off, waited a couple of minutes, started it...idling fine. Any ideas? It's a '11 G650GS...just had the first service done this past Saturday...
mmoore415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #130
racwld1
n00b

i was told and tried it on my bike and it helped, when you start the bike do not touch the throttle at all until it is running, they explained to me that the injector is re callibrated each time it starts, when you touch the throttle it sets the throttle position sensor and it does not give it the right amount of fuel, now i start mine every time with just touching the button with my index finger and it seems to work, no run problems since.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #131
racwld1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
My knee jerk reaction: take it off.

Why did you put it anyway? I never felt the need to improve FI response. The factory programming has good throttle response, great fuel consumption, and good power for a 650 thumper.
i have made a bunch of changes to the bike and it runs 100% better and a ton of more power with it, i just have to fine tune it to be perfect.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #132
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore415 View Post
I I was sitting at a stop sign and noticed it was idling kind rough. I gave it some gas, let it idle again and it died. Did the same thing two more times until I got home. Turned it off, waited a couple of minutes, started it...idling fine. .
This has been, in different variations, discussed in other forums. The conclusion seems to be the computer brain that controls the fuel delivery. It's been suggested that you only use the ignition key and the start button to start the bike. Don't use the cut off switch to turn off the bike and don't twist the throttle to start it. Ignition key and button only.

Try that and see if that makes any difference.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #133
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Want to buy

WANT TO BUY

...a set of stocks wheels to fit an 09 G.

Tired of changing tires to suit the purpose. Easier to swap out wheels with appropriate tires already on them.

Got a set you don't want? Let me know how much you want for them! Spoke preferred but not required.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #134
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
i have made a bunch of changes to the bike and it runs 100% better and a ton of more power with it, i just have to fine tune it to be perfect.
How much more hp on the dyno?

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #135
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
WANT TO BUY

...a set of stocks wheels to fit an 09 G.

Tired of changing tires to suit the purpose. Easier to swap out wheels with appropriate tires already on them.

Got a set you don't want? Let me know how much you want for them! Spoke preferred but not required.

I have seen a front and rear on ebay the last couple of days. Spoked, both in the $300's each.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote