User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Warren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I'm Back! New 2011 DL650 Desert Ride!

Well, yesterday I picked a new 2011. It's been 6 years since I've had a wee and really missed it. It was such a beautiful day in San Diego I decided to make a desert run!

Here was my track: Basically Alpine, Lakeside, Ramona, Santa Ysabel, Ranchita, Borrego, down to Plaster City and home - Just a little over 200 miles...

The gallant steed awaits:

Much like Alpine - You never know what you are going to see in Ramona:

Heading down into the desert!

Ah, a nice Mexican lunch at Los Jilbertos!

Decided to stop at the shoe tree, right at 78 and S2:

Just me, my wee, and the desert you see:

Some desert flora for your enjoyment:

The ever unwinding road beneath you:

That's it folks! See you around the board!

-- Click Here For My Free KLR 650 Valve Adjustment Shim Calculator --

Warren screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 09:04 PM
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Great to see you back in action Warren! I have a feeling your break-in will be complete in 1 or 2 more rides.

Whats on the farkle list besides the Suzuki bags?
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Warren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Great to see you back in action Warren! I have a feeling your break-in will be complete in 1 or 2 more rides.

Whats on the farkle list besides the Suzuki bags?
Well, the bags are coming but I'll decide later whether to install or sell (I still have some Givi stuff around as well).

Otherwise, centerstand, hand guards, perhaps a Madstad bracket for the windshield, fender extender, and a lot of fuel...

Hurry back home so we can ride!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Well, the bags are coming but I'll decide later whether to install or sell (I still have some Givi stuff around as well).
Otherwise, centerstand, hand guards, perhaps a Madstad bracket for the windshield, fender extender, and a lot of fuel...
Hurry back home so we can ride!
Surprised that you didn't hit Julian. I was out there Thanksgiving week, visiting an 'ol NJ girlfriend from Del Mar, who took me there, Cuyamaca & Barrego(bikeless). We picked up some apple & pumpkin pie for the holiday.
If you wouldn't mind telling, where & what did you pay for the bike out the door, before tax. I'm looking here in NJ for a 2011 leftover Wee. I'm guessing your getting the bags from the promotion, right?
Ride on.
houndawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Warren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndawgg View Post
Surprised that you didn't hit Julian. I was out there Thanksgiving week, visiting an 'ol NJ girlfriend from Del Mar, who took me there, Cuyamaca & Barrego(bikeless). We picked up some apple & pumpkin pie for the holiday.
If you wouldn't mind telling, where & what did you pay for the bike out the door, before tax. I'm looking here in NJ for a 2011 leftover Wee. I'm guessing your getting the bags from the promotion, right?
Ride on.
Yes the bags are coming (got them free - No $199).

My price:
$7499 ($600 off MSRP)
$582 Tax
$185 DMV fees

$8266 OTD

No setup/prep etc. Probably could have done a little better but I really liked the honesty of the dealer and it's a very fair price. Vey's in El Cajon - Scott is a great guy.

Just glad I found one - The 2012 is not my cup-of-tea...

Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Nice lookin' Wee. Congrats! Also checked out your TW posts. 603 miles to Bullhead City, AZ. Nice.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My price:
$7499 ($600 off MSRP)
$582 Tax
$185 DMV fees
$8266 OTD
No setup/prep etc. Probably could have done a little better but I really liked the honesty of the dealer and it's a very fair price. Vey's in El Cajon - Scott is a great guy.
I found one locally for $7400, out the door, before tax(bag price not added in), but they didn't even mention the saddlebags, which annoys the piss outta me. I'm going to see if I can find a "live" 2012, that I can see in the flesh today. I like the 2011's looks better also, but I'm investigating the motor improvements of this years model and if they're impressive enough, I may go with one of those.
In that case, I may even fly back to San Diego for another visit and buy one, then take a nice long ride back to NJ. Good riding to you.

houndawgg screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 05:58 AM
Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,055
Great pics. We are heading down your way soon to take in Death Valley. Looking forward to seeing this area!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,725
Nothing like the Anza Boreggo SP. The serenity of that desert area just keeps drawing me back. I was down there last week after a quick loop up to Mt. Palomar. I may be down that way this week after a loop through Joshua Tree NP.

The bike looks fantastic. Hope to see you post up some pics after the add-on's. You decided to go with the 650, not the 1000. Wondering what brought you to that decision.

Enjoy the new ride-beautiful!
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Warren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Nothing like the Anza Boreggo SP. The serenity of that desert area just keeps drawing me back. I was down there last week after a quick loop up to Mt. Palomar. I may be down that way this week after a loop through Joshua Tree NP.

The bike looks fantastic. Hope to see you post up some pics after the add-on's. You decided to go with the 650, not the 1000. Wondering what brought you to that decision.

Enjoy the new ride-beautiful!
I had a 2006 DL1000. After I rode a buddy's DL650 back then, It was apparent that the DL650:

1. Had plenty of power
2. Was a waaaaaay smoother running bike
3. Had much better throttle response
4. Had more range due to much better MPG's
5. Was lighter and you could feel it when slow and and in the slippery stuff
6. Cheaper insurance

The DL1000 is a beast and a nice bike, but the DL650 outshines it for me in ALL areas other than out-right acceleration...

So I sold my DL1000 back then and bought an '06 DL650 and put about 15K on it - Should have never sold her but I was trying to help a VP at my former company get into motorcycling and he wanted it bad.

The only reason I would consider the DL1000 was if I were going to do serious 2-up touring - Even then the Wee does fine so it'd be a tough call: Loaded up the Wee will still roll at 85+ all day no matter what you throw on her.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
ceke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I think I saw you at the 79/San Felipe Rd intersection, we were the strom and ninja turning right to Warner Springs. I took a few months off from riding my strom last year, it was terrible . Welcome back.

obtw, I bought my 05 Vee in 05 from Veys as well, great bunch of guys. And I totally agree on the 650/1000 comparison. My daughter is off the back of my bike now and I'm definitely going to a 650 soon.

ceke screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 02:02 PM Reason: added the obtw
ceke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Warren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceke View Post
I think I saw you at the 79/San Felipe Rd intersection, we were the strom and ninja turning right to Warner Springs. I took a few months off from riding my strom last year, it was terrible . Welcome back.
If you saw a guy in a bright neon yellow jacket and white helmet it was surely me! I stick out like a sore thumb..

Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
How do the 650's handel gravel and dirt roads. I am thinking US Forest service roads and two track roads rougher than you would take a car down. I need a nice tourer.
ssmschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Warren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmschulz View Post
How do the 650's handel gravel and dirt roads. I am thinking US Forest service roads and two track roads rougher than you would take a car down. I need a nice tourer.
Tough call depending on your capabilities... Forest roads and gravel pretty easy, two-track highly variable... Just need to take your time.

She's tall and heavy and a lot of it up top. Get that inertia heading the wrong direction and there is no saving it.

All about trade-offs... I'd call the V-Strom a 90/10 street/dirt bike for the average rider...

Old 02-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My price:
$7499 ($600 off MSRP)
$582 Tax
$185 DMV fees
$8266 OTD
I went to see the 12 model Monday, and it's alright. More modern looking than the previous Wee's, but like you said, not really my cup either. I couldn't find out "exactly" what the engine differences are. All the dealer could tell me, is it's the engine, that the Gladus used and it was smoother a low end. They wanted somewhere around $7900 out the door, before taxes. If an Adventurer model was available, I probably would have gone for it, even at about $1100 more.
Three dealers later, I knew I was buying the white model they had. I could feel they wanted it sold that day. They gave me a satisfactory deal.
$7095, plus $150 doc. fee, $199 for the saddle bag promo, $511 tax.
I was going to pay cash, but they went 0% finance.
I'm planning on a NJ to west coast ride, maybe June timeframe, possibly cruising around your turf, and visit my 'ol girlfriend again. I'll shout at you, if I'm in the area.