User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
RBrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Need input from Fla Panhandlers

We're planing a sightseeing trip along the Big Bend and Panhandle coast. Leaving home on or about Feb 23rd.

Chiefland Fl is the first nights destination, for two reasons, first is it'll be a 175 miles of non interstate riding to get us to NW Fl from home, and ,second, we'll do a day trip to Cedar Key. Two nights in Chiefland.

Next stop is Appalachicola for a night , about a 175 mile day.

Next is Ft Walton Bch, for one night, about a 130 mile day.

Next, Fairhope (Daphne) Al for two nights, about 100 mile day. Plan to visit the USS Alabama and the submarine (don't recall the name) and maybe a ride out to the Ft Morgan area.

After that, we'll start heading home to the Spacecoast. We're two up on a F800R, so we're sticking (no pun intended) to pavement. We're not tied to a return date, we can add a couple days for something if it strikes our fancy.

Any Panhandlers care to offer up suggestions on points of interest? We like scenic views, history, old south charm, fun to ride roads, etc.

TIA, RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 6,262
As you may know the panhandle is full of military stuff.
Ft Walton as the Air Force museum, and Pensacola has the really good Naval Aviation museum and you know about Mobile.

I assume you are going to motel it, but if you do need camping advise let me know.

Ft Walton/Destin area as awesome fine dining as well as local good grub. Again hit me up with preferences. I know em all.

I also assume you will run along the gulf coast as much as possible. Take beach road at Navarre and ride to Pcola Beach. Watch for and drifts across the road.

Plenty of beach side restaurants on Pcola beach!

Fairhope and Mobile are great also. We are camping on Causeway this weekend. A cool trip is to go to Dauphin Island, visit Ft Gains and then take ferry back over to east side of bay and ride back along Alabama coast. I recommend calling and making sure ferry is running before actually going down there.

Have a safe trip and if I can help just let me know.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Oddometer: 5,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Any Panhandlers care to offer up suggestions on points of interest? We like scenic views, history, old south charm, fun to ride roads, etc.
Stay on 98 west from Apalachicola and you'll have scenic views for hours. As for history, Vic already mentioned 2 museums you should definitely check out, and there's Fort Barrancas (plus a cool old lighthouse) on Pensacola NAS. Then there's Fort Pickens out on Pensacola Beach. For old south charm, check out Eden Gardens St. Park just north of Hwy 98 in Santa Rosa Beach.

Fun to ride roads can be found all over Blackwater State Forest, Norman Reilly Rd. is probably the best of them. It's about as twisty as yer gonna get in our neck of the woods. Watch out for deer. Stop by Gator's in Baker for homestyle country cooking and a killer milkshake. Fantastic seafood at the Fish House near downtown Pensacola. McGuire's Irish Pub has 2 locations, (P-cola and Destin), great food and locally brewed beer.

Since yer gonna be in Daphne, make sure ya check out Manci's, it's a bar/grill unlike anything I've ever seen before. You'll spend a good long while just checking out the amazing assortment of STUFF the owner has collected over the years, it's all hanging on the walls. Plus they've got the best Bloody Marys I've ever had. YUM

Pray for good weather and enjoy the trip!

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!

ineptizoid screwed with this post 02-11-2015 at 09:27 AM
ineptizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,295
If you come through Panama City, get off 98 in Parker shortly after the bridge from Tyndall.
Take bus 98/Alt 98 to 77/N. Cove Blvd then south to Cherry St. so you end up on Beach drive.
Take that through to St. Andrews.

If its time for food, Check out Bayou Joes.
It will be across the bayou on your right as you cross the draw bridge on Beach drive.

http://www.bayoujoes.com/

Also, if you want to make a beach stop and dont mind a bit of maintained dirt/gravel take Crooked Island/East Beach rd shortly after you enter Tyndall AFB from Mexico beach.
Mid week it should be pretty empty.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9572...!2e0!3e5?hl=en

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 02-11-2015 at 09:44 AM
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
RBrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. That's just the kind of local info we are looking for. Post of if anything else comes to mind.

I'll have a small, tankbag size laptop with me, we'll check in to this thread and incorporate these suggestions according to where we're heading the next day.

RB
Old 02-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
gmountai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
If you are going through Panacea and are hungry, Angelo's is a pretty good restaurant.
gmountai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,783
Lot of good places to eat in downtown Fairhope downtown and area. The Washhouse in Point Clear is a little more $$$ and up scale but is always good, also in Point Clear is Punta Clara candy kitchen been making southern candy there 60 + years. When you go to the Battleship take Hwy. 98 causeway ( Land Bridge ) a lot safer then the Bay-way, which is the I-10 bridge over the bay they run almost side by side, There is a scenic overlook on the hill overlooking the Mobile bay were I-10 and Hwy. 98 cross in Spanish Fort, if you go there you can say you have been to the highest point in the U.S. on the gulf coast. Also there is a nature center called 5 rivers along the Hwy 98 cause way and its free or you can rent kayaks. Like Vic says call to make sure the ferry is running and ride down to Dauphin Island ( the Sea Lab is a nice stop also ) to Fort Gains and take the ferry across the bay to Fort Morgan. to Gulf Shores then back up to Fairhope. Be sure to hit a beach some were between Gulf Shores and Panama City the sand in this area is the whitest in the world.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:02 AM   #8
RBrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, we'll be incorporating as many of these suggestions as we can.

I wasn't sure about taking the ferry across at Ft Morgan, even though we like that sort of thing. I wasn't sure how much of a commitment it would be to find a place to stay and then work our way north (thru Moblie?) and up to the USS Alabama. It just seemed easier to stay two nights at Fairhope and do a day trip to the USS Alabama. And see as much as we could on the east side of the Bay.

Should we reconsider the two nights at Fairhope and do the ferry and west side of Mobile Bay?

Thanks again for the local info. Much appreciated.
RB
Old 02-14-2015, 05:48 AM   #9
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Thanks, we'll be incorporating as many of these suggestions as we can.

I wasn't sure about taking the ferry across at Ft Morgan, even though we like that sort of thing. I wasn't sure how much of a commitment it would be to find a place to stay and then work our way north (thru Moblie?) and up to the USS Alabama. It just seemed easier to stay two nights at Fairhope and do a day trip to the USS Alabama. And see as much as we could on the east side of the Bay.

Should we reconsider the two nights at Fairhope and do the ferry and west side of Mobile Bay?

Thanks again for the local info. Much appreciated.
RB
From Fairhope to the USS Alabama will only take you about 20 min. depending on traffic.on a clear day you can kinda see the battleship from Fairhope if you know were to look, and binoculars to tell what that gray blob is. you could take the ferry from Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island then go to the battle ship and back to Fairhope or go to the battle ship then to Dauphin Island to Fort Morgan then back up to Fairhope, if you do the ferry trip plan on around 4 hrs. it's going to be about 40 miles to eather Fort Morgan or Dolphin Island. make sure to call to make sure the ferry is running. A good road to ride is also Hwy. 225 it runs north from Spanish Fort and Historic Blakeley and Fort Mimmis.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:05 AM   #10
RBrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestrider View Post
From Fairhope to the USS Alabama will only take you about 20 min. depending on traffic.on a clear day you can kinda see the battleship from Fairhope if you know were to look, and binoculars to tell what that gray blob is. you could take the ferry from Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island then go to the battle ship and back to Fairhope or go to the battle ship then to Dauphin Island to Fort Morgan then back up to Fairhope, if you do the ferry trip plan on around 4 hrs. it's going to be about 40 miles to eather Fort Morgan or Dolphin Island. make sure to call to make sure the ferry is running. A good road to ride is also Hwy. 225 it runs north from Spanish Fort and Historic Blakeley and Fort Mimmis.

Thanks, I'm gonna check it out. The round trip using the ferry sounds good, if I can make it work.

RB
Old 02-19-2015, 05:34 AM   #11
jburton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
The beach

Do not forget to take the Navarre Bridge and drive through the beach road to Pensacola Beach. More than likely will be the most scenic part of your trip, as a bonus it adds no mileage to your trip and is safer than 98. While in Pensacola Beach go eat at Hemmingways or Grand Marlin and side trip to Fort Pickens.
jburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #12
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 6,262
1+

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #13
RBrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys. We're going to follow everyone's advice, as best we can.

Got the F800R ready to go, including the heated jacket liners.

RB
Old 02-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #14
TxRoadDog
Banned

Oddometer: 492
Stop off at St. George Island and eat at the Blue Parrot for lunch if it's time, and then check out the beach. It's not as pretty as PCB, Destin, or anything like that, but it has it's own natural unmolested beauty.
TxRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #15
RBrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRoadDog View Post
Stop off at St. George Island and eat at the Blue Parrot for lunch if it's time, and then check out the beach. It's not as pretty as PCB, Destin, or anything like that, but it has it's own natural unmolested beauty.
I was just looking at St George Isl. Thanks for the tip. How about the old rt 30 loop just west of Apalachicola? Is that a worthwhile beach ride or should we just stay on 98?

RB