Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
SportFaller OP
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 668
Thumb DIY tidy tail, and other Misc farkles.

I had been looking at that ugly tail for quite a while, and had a decent idea if how I'd go about cleaning it up. Finally had the time this weekend to dig into it. I'll let the pics show the story:

First, I removed the plate, plate holder/reflectors, and the plate light. I then masked off approximately what I'd be cutting out and off

Fitst cut, with a hacksaw

SportFaller screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 03:37 PM
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
SportFaller OP
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

I decided to start small, and see just what the double layer was going to leave me on the inside, so I removed the light housing first. At the same time I cut most of the bottom off. Most of the cutting was done with a cutoff wheel in the air grinder, though that was more of high speed melting. Messy, and painful. My saw on my leatherman wave made about the cleanest, quickest cuts.

Then some more of the bottom

Then some of the inner plastic, to make it parallel with my outer cuts.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
SportFaller OP
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

a little more off the bottom:

That's the final angle of the bottom, before finish filing.

now the plate and light mount.

I had originally planned on splicing in a LED and loosing the entire factory light, but it was just so perfectly set up to retain.

here's the plate, I thought this would just be a jig for a final aluminum piece.

Notice the holes in the top edge to match the factory plate light, seen under my hand on the lift deck.

The light on the plate:

I then drilled a counter-sunk hole in the plate holder, all the way through the fender. This, combined with the plate light will hold everything together.

The underside view, I may end up reworking this, I dont care for fender washers holding the whole mess together.

the finished setup, after filing and sanding, before black silicone sealer on the joints.

I have now decided to leave it as black ABS plastic, I think it looks clean. I also plan to change the plate hardware to something shorter and tamper resistant. At one point I had planned to run my plate vertically, because I thought it would look better, buy mt buddy at the sheriffs department said I'd be asking to be harassed daily. Still looks WAY better than stock.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
SportFaller OP
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

another project of the day:

Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
SportFaller OP
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

I also wanted to add a little function to my altrider crash bars by making some plates to darry small soft bags, like the moose racing fender bags. I've seen this done on the GSA crash bars, and liked the look.

They are just held in place with 1" rubber coated conduit clamps. I need to touch up the rubber on a couple.

I started drilling some holes both for tiedown points and to open the airflow, and half way through I decided to try and make some slots that would match the skidplate, and be good tiedowns.

A router is neither the appropriate tool, nor the best to do this with, but it worked, kinda....

I like the slots, not so sure about the holes, I may redo the plates, I have more 1/8th" aluminum. I'm thinking red rhino lining or line-x to match the decals. It will hold up to drops way better than paint, and be better than raw metal.

Next weekend: plates to fit in the wolfman luggage rack and gutting the cat.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post
I also wanted to add a little function to my altrider crash bars by making some plates to darry small soft bags, like the moose racing fender bags. I've seen this done on the GSA crash bars, and liked the look.

Next weekend: plates to fit in the wolfman luggage rack and gutting the cat.
Awesome work there

Question about your racks; I have the wolfman racks as well but have been reluctant to do a tail tidy since I have the crossbar installed to make them stronger, which comes down right about the same place as the stock plate. so a tidy would just leave that crossbar hanging in the wind. So, the question is: what do you think about running the racks without the crossbar and why didn't you get one?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Very nice. The crash bar plate idea is cool and looks much better than I expected.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
another project of the day:

Which model number BRP is that?
IIRC, the bottom of our swing arms already have two bosses for mounting the thing right?
As if engineering thought a chain guide would be a good idea but then the bean counters thought otherwise?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
SportFaller OP
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

the chain guide is from a 450-650cc Husaberg.

here: http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page...ategory_id=776

Just drilled and tapped the swingarm, as described in the "unmentioned mods" thread.

as far as the tidy tail and the wolfman racks, mine are older ones without the rear crossbar, so I didnt have to worry about that....
Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
the chain guide is from a 450-650cc Husaberg.

here: http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page...ategory_id=776

Just drilled and tapped the swingarm, as described in the "unmentioned mods" thread.

as far as the tidy tail and the wolfman racks, mine are older ones without the rear crossbar, so I didnt have to worry about that....
Thanks!

"the unmentioned mods" thread eh? looks like I'll be killing a few minutes over there...
Old 01-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Which model number BRP is that?
IIRC, the bottom of our swing arms already have two bosses for mounting the thing right?
As if engineering thought a chain guide would be a good idea but then the bean counters thought otherwise?
Here's my post that details the process along with the BRP model #. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=61
Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
Here's my post that details the process along with the BRP model #. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=61

Looks great, thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Looks great so far, SportFaller. But... I just can't get behind any sort of farkle that includes the word "tidy."

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Looks great so far, SportFaller. But... I just can't get behind any sort of farkle that includes the word "tidy."

yet you can use the word "farkle" with a clean conscience?

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
SportFaller OP
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

What experience does anyone have with line-x and or rhino lining? do either offer smooth finishes? colors? I'm still thinking red coating on these plates.