User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Canary Islands - Motorcycle Paradise - Pictures Galore

Been riding for +10 years and have to say that The Canary Islands is one of the very best places I've ever ridden a motorcycle. Stunning doesn't quite cover it when you carve your way up the mountainside on what used to be old goat trails, come up above the clouds and look out over The Atlantic Ocean from 2000 meters altitude (or almost 4000 meters if you're on Tenerife!).

The only place I know that gives a similar experience is Switzerland and The Alps in the summer. Enjoy the Scenery! :-)

Can really recommend it if you're close by! Or even not so close! It's also fairly cheap for beeing Europe and of course there's also all the beaches, surfing hiking etc etc if you want that. Only thing I might say though is that it's not for beginners, I'd recommend at least 5 years motorcycle experience before going here. The penalties for making mistakes, even simple ones, can be quite severe.

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 09:59 PM
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
I'm going to Tenerife next week, and have rented a motorcycle. If I get some good pictures I'll post them when I get back.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,938
awsome

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Skopelos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thumb

Ι had visited Tenerife and Las Palmas in 1992 whith my family, it was a great place, I would like to visit again with motorcycle in the future. Anybody knows how much are the costs to move there by ship from Spain - Portugal?
http://suzukidr250s.123.st
Skopelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
I'm going to Tenerife next week, and have rented a motorcycle. If I get some good pictures I'll post them when I get back.
Nice! Got a tip for you, if you want to go the very last 300 meters to the very top of the island (top of the volcano) you need to apply online for that. Not that hard but you fill it out and show them the paper. Many tourists don't know about this and get a bit pissy for understandable reasons.

@Skopelos: Nope sorry, renting is fairly cheap though. You can rent a DRZ like in the picture for about $100 a day with free milage. Probably get a better rate if you rent longer.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Thanks, Blue and Yellow.

I didn't know that, but just went online and made my booking.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Looks outstanding You've put 100 US Dollars in Nadgett's post !!!! do you mean euros ???? right got to go and look for flights
Phil
Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Looks outstanding You've put 100 US Dollars in Nadgett's post !!!! do you mean euros ???? right got to go and look for flights
Phil
Nah, I couldn't fint the euro key on this stupid computer

Have a look for yourself, these guys are easy to deal with: http://www.motorent.eu

But pick a small bike!!!!! The roads are narrow, tight and twisty!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

I'm glad i'm not the only one who has to fight with computers !!!!

Thanks for the link , the DRZ 400S comes in at 64 per day , thats what i'd go for . Whats the rules on OFF ROADING looks like loads of places to play
Phil
Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
I'm glad i'm not the only one who has to fight with computers !!!!

Thanks for the link , the DRZ 400S comes in at €64 per day , thats what i'd go for . Whats the rules on OFF ROADING looks like loads of places to play
Phil
Well - I wouldn't go bananas. Some trails are full of hikers and some areas are national parks, then there's volcanic rock and sheep farmers all over the place

But as long as you do it quietly and respectfully I don't think anyone will have a problem, this is Spain after all.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Cheers BxY
I wouldn't want to go mad but i like to see whats round the corner
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post

Nice, I spent 4+ years living there. make sure you hit Los Gigantes, La Masca (watch out for the tall tour busses as they won't make the turns in their lane, no matter how hard they try), hit Villaflor on your way to El Teide, descend on the northern side to Puerto de la Cruz, from there the more picturesque way down south again (Towards Las Americas or Los Christianos) is the eastern route. Western route via Santa Cruz is mostly highways (used to be, anyway). Expect to do 130-140kph on the highways or more. If you head from the south towards the mountains, Valle San Lorenzo used to be a great entry point. Then again, it changed so much in the past 11 years I probably wouldn't recognize it.

Have fun.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,123
!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Nice, I spent 4+ years living there. make sure you hit Los Gigantes, La Masca (watch out for the tall tour busses as they won't make the turns in their lane, no matter how hard they try), hit Villaflor on your way to El Teide, descend on the northern side to Puerto de la Cruz, from there the more picturesque way down south again (Towards Las Americas or Los Christianos) is the eastern route. Western route via Santa Cruz is mostly highways (used to be, anyway). Expect to do 130-140kph on the highways or more. If you head from the south towards the mountains, Valle San Lorenzo used to be a great entry point. Then again, it changed so much in the past 11 years I probably wouldn't recognize it.

Have fun.
Interesting, I'm actually toying with the idea of buying some kind of "winter home" down there, escape from chilly europe you know. If you don't mind me asking: what do you think of the place, why did you move there and why did you leave?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
Interesting, I'm actually toying with the idea of buying some kind of "winter home" down there, escape from chilly europe you know. If you don't mind me asking: what do you think of the place, why did you move there and why did you leave?
Oh, a loaded question, isn't it

Why did I move there? At that time I was on Ibiza working in a tourist industry which, as you may know, closes for the winter months. So, it was either unemployment for 5 months or moving. A lady I worked with had some connections in Tenerife and got me a temporary job. Somehow, i never went back and stayed on Canary Islands.

What did I think of it? I liked it. At first, i liked it a lot. Then i liked it less, and less, and less. Don't get me wrong, the weather is awesome. But, the second Christmas without snow felt rather strange, the third was annoying, and the fourth was depressing. Not so much the Christmas or the lack of snow, but the weird state of mind one enters after a while in that place. For this I'll have to elaborate a little.

There are like 10,000,000 tourists coming and going each year. The Germans are mainly around Puerto de la Cruz, the British have the south (Las Americas) (I'm only listing the majorities here). Las Americas, Los Christianos feels like Benidorm (look it up) with British sports bars, British food, TV, Newspapers, etc. A lot of them demand services in English only and are turning it into a little England. Why come to Spain? I chose to live among the locals, speaking, eating, and sleeping Spanish. Going to work was like going to a different world.
The locals are friendly, but I found that no matter what, I will always be a 'giri" a foreigner. This is most noticeable when dealing with authorities, but it is also noticeable in the small stores, local bars, et cetera. The culture and nightlife, and weather were great, the restaurants were great, the people were nice, but I never felt like part of the community.
dealing with anything urgent usually turned into "tranguilo, manana" Once a coffee maker broke in our office. Despite the fact that there were hundreds of coffees needed every day, and the repairman was called daily, it took three days for someone to show up. the same went for about everything.

But, the biggest struggle, and here is where I lead to why I left, was that I felt a part of me died there. The weather never changed, except for a sand storm once a year. It rained about two hours each year. The scenery never changed, unless you took a car/bike and went up north. But then again, you could circle the island in a few hours. Four years later there wasn't a spot I haven't been to (of those that interested me). I spent more time on/around Teide than I can remember. I went to the north to walk in the pine forests, I went to the beach a few times. Needing any appliances meant a trip to Santa Cruz, as the south only had touristy stores. Rents were quite expensive, unless you moved to the mountains, and owning a house/apartment near the shore was out of reach. Not sure what prices are these days, but back then, my base income was like 160,000 pesetas a month, and a 2 bedroom apartment cost around 80,000,000 pesetas.
In the end of my stay, I was so ready for a change that I almost ended up moving to Johannesburg (SA), until I discovered how rough it was (back then). Then I signed up to volunteer in Mozambique, that's how much I needed a change. Ultimately, none of those happened as I met the lady who later became Mrs henrymartin.

Anyway, it's hard to explain. All the above reasons and rants aside, Tenerife is a wonderful place. As a winter home, if you can afford it, it would be great. To live there in retirement would be awesome. To live there as a young, productive person who enjoys adventures of all kinds...nah. Unless you have the money to jump on an airplane and go whenever you feel like it.

As I said, a part of me died there. I had not aged (on the inside) a single month in four+ years. My blood became thinner, I started wearing jackets when temps dropped to 25C, and sweaters when it was around 20C just like the locals did. In the mean time, the tourists were on the beach in their bikinis, and we shivered over a glass of Brandy in the morning. But it still holds a special place in my heart. I'd like to visit again, one day, after I see the rest of the world.

My personal dream location of a winter home, provided money was no object? Antibes or Collioure. Great culture and great riding nearby.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote