Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #31
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,699
Last time I was in Denton was to chase women @ I think it was N. Texas Womens College. That was 1969 & I was in rotor wing flight school at the Army camp near Mineral Wells, Ft. Wolters. Back to Hagons ,after looking @ the website for dave quinn I'm seeing a much different shock than the one I gave a glance to from Capitol Cycle on ebay. The ones I first saw sell for mor than Quinns and judging from that picture they looked like cheapos, which is not the case when you view the whole line and with better pics,etc.. I jst got back from my shop & pulled apart a OEM Boge? I guess, and measured the hole in the OEM top shroud to have it ready to possibly accept a new shock, depending on what I end up with. To watch the recent news r.e., the Wisconsin teachers it would appear that we retired teachers are all lounging at the country club! Well I'm rich in some ways and poor in others...
As to Redwing NOS there are lots of them listed and all are NOS, not a scam but a reality of the fact they simply don't make them anymore, so don't get the red flag waving?
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #32
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

What say you guys on length? The OEM's/Boges, from my two /5 bikes are 13.25" eye to eye-some mfg's show a 330mm & others a 335mm. What happens when you go to a 12.5" or 13"-or a 13.5" for that matter? I have a 28.5" inseam and its working in my favor to go for the 13" shocks or even less if the head clearance/fenders is enough???
I just said what the eye to eye measures on both of my LWB, 1973, R75/5 shocks OEM.

kantuckid screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 06:00 AM
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
montmil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Don't know what the spec rear shock eye-to-eye dimension is for your R75. My SWB R65s both have the 330 mike-mike length. I've also got about four more inches on you -- that's inseam, lads, I ain't Tejas braggin'. Anyways, I don't think 0.25" is gonna make a big difference on the bike either way. IMO.

Several vertically-challenged riders have gone to a slightly shorter shock length to help get their feet flat at stop signs. Makes a small change in the front end's geometry.

Texas Woman's University it is. That year, 1969, I was graduating from the "real" university across town -- North Texas State University, now known as The University of North Texas. Fort Wolters was known as Camp Wolters when my late father trained there in 1942 before going on to fly the "Hump" in the CBI.
Some years ago, I did some contract flying for the gub'mint; quietly photographing "crops" from angels ten. The Wolters practice fields you probably flew off of are still there. Twin concrete slabs, some with the wooden, quick n' dirty control towers still standing. Kinda spooky.

call Dave Quinn. Get the straight skinny on the Hagon shocks. When I collect enough aluminum cans, Dave's going to build a mono for my Triumph Trophy 900 BBBS.
1983 BMW R65
1995 Tri Trophy 900
montmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #34
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

We flew out of the main post heliport to remotes with class the other 1/2 of the day or vice versa. I've probably seen every scrawny pecan tree in that area. Interesting experience coming into that heliport , what with helos in front, behind, everywhere, like locusts!
i had an R65LS that had been lowered for the guys wife(never ridden much-had under 500K) and it had 12" Harley shocks on it that I never used but it "looked" sort of normal. I would like to hear from a short rider that has something less than 13" on their bike. I know the 1/4" is not a worry for a street bike unless a mechanical clearance thing like banging together on a fork component,etc..
Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #35
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I would like to hear from a short rider that has something less than 13" on their bike. I know the 1/4" is not a worry for a street bike unless a mechanical clearance thing like banging together on a fork component,etc..
I'm not short (32" inseam), but my R60/5 came with 12.5" Ikons on it. It seems to ride perfectly normal. I'm going to replace them with 13.5" shocks simply because I want the bike taller to make up for the thinned-out tracker-style seat that's on it.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #36
BrokenR80RT
But I'll fix it.

Oddometer: 157
If I may.

Kantuck,

I have also been looking at suspension stuff. I'm about to hit the buy button on Ebay for Progressives front and rear from these people:

http://stores.ebay.com/Worldwide-mot...uipment?_rdc=1

I've been watching your request for advice on both sites. Basically on a budget, Progressive is what I'd do. I have also thought Koni, or the Bob's replica's, but have not seen any feedback on the replica's and Koni's are expensive. Imagine, a complete suspension by Progressive for $250-260 Vs. the alternatives. If they don't work out or last for 5 years, well, I'll document it for others and upgrade in the future. But, shorter term, I'll have the feel of a new, probably better than stock suspension.

Regarding Mindsok....he seems perpetually unhappy with all suspension hardware . Sorry, Mindsok, but I call them as I see them. I wish you the best of luck in your ideal suspension search. Keep us all posted!

And good luck Kantuck!

BrokenR80RT screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 11:07 AM
BrokenR80RT is offline   Reply With Quote