User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
HandKPhil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
The List

We all have a list floating around in our heads, of bikes and scooters that we'd someday like to own. If your list is anything like mine, the contents are constantly evolving and changing over time. Maybe your list is made up of bikes you always wanted when you were a teenager, but could never afford. Maybe your current list contains a few exotics that fall under the, "if I won the Lotto" category.

When I finally reached mature adulthood (some time in my late 30's...lol) and got re-addicted to the two-wheeled habit, I had in my head a list of bikes that I'd always wanted to own. Over the last 7-8 years, I've managed to be lucky enought to actually own a few of them.

Now that a few years have passed and I've gotten over the flurry of buying and selling every "good deal" that came along on Craigslist, I've decided to slow down and carefully consider my next purchase. I'm beginning to ask myself some realistic questions about how I really use the bikes in my collection, and how I intend to ride as I get older.

While my list contains quite a few bikes and scooters, I thought I'd mention only those that currently occupy the top three spots, along with a single sentence on why I'm considering each. These are all bikes that I may eventually purchase, because they fit in with the way I currently ride.

In no particular order, here's my top three:

1. 2011 Yamaha TMAX - This scooter fits my love of 30-minute, stress-relieving blasts around the neighborhood.

2. 2009 or 2010 Yamaha WR250R - For those days when a 1-3 hour enduro/exploration trip is just what the doctor ordered.

3. 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 - For those longer, overnight touring/camping trips that I plan on taking in the years ahead.

So let's hear your list of three. Three bikes that you may someday actually buy, and a one or two sentence reason why they made your list.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Godders
Crazy Pom in Aus

Oddometer: 296
1. BMW R1100GS/1150/1200/1250GS - given the time that has gone on since this 'dream' the models have progressed lol...I love the look, the ride they give, my Dad had a 1100GS and I loved it.

2. Vespa - Don't know why, just a modern classic they look and feel like a real scooter but are so expensive and not sure on those small wheels to justify the purchase, especially as I commute daily on Motorways.

3. Suzuki Hayabusa – Hmmmm, the power and rush when riding this machine…sadly my licence wouldn’t be able to last the duration of the bike ownership and I wouldn’t be able to resist the temptation to give it plenty of ‘squirts’…sigh

Brisbane, Qld, AU
2014 KLR650EEF - LED tail light, Wolfman luggage
former04 KLR650 A18 http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smal...ric/248519.png
Godders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
1. Kymco Downtown 300i

Or something like it or similar. At 6'3 fit is a concern but I am trying to keep the wheels small(er) and the weight light. I need / want this bike for urban freeway use, and occasional highway riding

2. SYM HD 200 / Kymco People 250 / Genuine Blur

I want a comfortable mid range scoot for traveling parts of the city that requires more engine muscle for climbing, acceleration, passing, riding comfort, top speed, and short(er) freeway jaunts. The 16in wheels of the SYM or People would be fine because i already have a small wheeled scoot. But the smaller wheels of the Blur, even better. But idk if that would suit the "comfort" part and it may be a tight seat for going 2 up

3. Vespa 300

Nice scooter but limited duty for the price. For me, at least. This scooter would be a vanity purchase atm. Maybe one day i can reason it practical, as well. And if I can find a good deal on an old 200 or new(er) 250 it might be able to slot in with the No. 2 position bikes listed above

4 Genuine Stella

It's a scooter
Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
1.Brand new Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic My Next bike likely. Always dreamed of a Harley never can afford one still can't right at the moment but have a possible money coming with my new mowin buisness. Because I love Harleys, ridden them and just suit me best.

2. Aprilia Scarebeo 500, I really like this scooter, just looks like a good balance between a small scoot fun around town but not to slow, and a big Burgman 650 that is to big and I don't need if I got a big bike.

3. Hmm, Possibly a Dual Sport, this one can really vary depending on the time, but if I had to choose now probably a KLX 250S.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Interesting poll

1) Yamaha Morphous in all white with red ACME letters (yes I would do my best Wil-E-Coyote impression)

2) Honda PCX. something about it makes me want it.... Water cooled 125? Ride all day? Sure!

3) my old vespa sprint with a whole new engine, leg shield mounted spare, luggage rack mounted spare and enough gas money for baja mexico.
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Akita Man
Optional

Oddometer: 114
The List

Indeed this is a daily re-evaluation in my cranium.

1. 2010 KTM Adenture 990R
2. 2006 BMW 1150GSA
3. 2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro.

All bikes with bags & exhaust farkles.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Dreamin'

1. The Silver Wing I already own. Weather I'm at Guardsman pass in the Rockies our running along the Oregon coast at sea level this scoot has been as advertised, powerful and reliable. I make all my milk runs on it as well. There needs to be a proportional relationship between the rider and their scoot.

2. 150 cc Honda Elite. My grown kids come for a visit and I have an individual Sccoter School for them before they take my scooter out. I would like to have this scoot for their use.

3. I have seen some scoot trailers and trailer tents. I'd like to tour with my Cupcake with camping gear.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
1) Peraves MonoTracer - GOOGLE THAT!!! Because it is so completely different than anything else out there; A spaceship on two wheels.

2) Multi purpose scooter - Not yet invented. A basic frame and engine with optional body and drive components. street commuter, dual sport, touring cruiser. Be nice if clutch could be manually operated. (especially on the dual sport version) Because it would be cheaper production wise and it would be convenient to be able to change the kind of bike you wanted to ride without needing to actually own three different bikes.

1974 Honda CB450 - One of my first bikes. To recapture the nostalgia. Like getting back that beautiful girlfriend from so long ago.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,547
bmw c2 , big rukus and the kicker unless I get lucky or rich a bought Sup SS100. Only 100 grand plus for an old one or 120 for a new reproduction which is bettter then the original. Why? because the engines have 80 years of better quality then way back then. Stuff can be made now that can't be matched consider .

Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
if this thread is going to be in here it should be for people to post their top 3 SCOOTERS since this is the SCOOTERS section of the forum

if its for your top 3 bikes and scooters then it should be in a different section, as in here is scoots only!!

my top 3 scooters (in order of preference :p)

1. Italjet Formula 125

2. Italjet Dragster 180

3. Gilera Runner SP 180
Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #11
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,968
First - excellent post! Reading others replies has revealed a few scoots/bikes I'd like to have.

For me:

1. Honda Silverwing - I've owned 4 or 5 already and keep coming back to it as my "do everything" bike. Probably my next purchase.

2. HD Dyna Switchback - I rode one and loved it but cheaped out and bought a Sportster.

3. Vespa GTS 300 - Sold my 250 'cause the wobble caused by the top case was driving me nuts. But, the engine on the 250 was really smooth and the ride was excellent. There is a reason Vespas cost a lot. They are fine italian riding machines.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
mine

aaa THE LIST! man my list changes a little in size mostly

1. A Vespa 300. GT. Why? I just to no real explanation. I like the style and I want one in red

2. A Honda CBR 600RR, before I get to old to ride a fast bike FAST I know this will bring tickets, b
ut when I get old I will not remember that will I?

3. A Vstrom 650/1000 as my to
uring ride that does not mind getting dirty and will carry all the crap I want.

A Honda St1300 or GOld wing, I will get old soon so this is the bike I want for my golden years.

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
mountainJ
I wanna RIDE!

Oddometer: 157
I already have an '02 1150gs but always lusted after the white 06 GSA. That being said my three..
1. Moto Morini Scrambler. Unobtainium in the States unless you have a fat pocket book and know an excellent multilingual mechanic.
2. Toss-up between a Victory Cross Country and HD Street Glide... Leaning towards the Victory.
3. Beta 450RS.
mountainJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,643
Three is just not enough

I currently have four. And that's three less than I used to have.

1. KLR650. Great bike for what I like to ride which twisty roads in the mountains, pave and unpaved. It's not the best bike at anything but does most things pretty well.

2. XT350. Lite weight dual sport for more gnarly terrain as well as real twisty paved roads. Eventually I'd like to update to something newer with a better suspension.

3. Kymco Super 8 150. This things a blast around town
It was my first scooter. I have no plans to replace it any time soon.

4. Aprilia Sport City 250. I bought this so I could take my wife along on some rides and also for longer distance road rides. Eventually, after I put 30-40,000 miles on it I'll think about something with a little more power like the Kymco 300GTI or new Piaggio BV350

Of course, if I win the lottery tomorrow, I'll have a garage full of bikes in no time.
And I'll be getting a bigger garage

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote