User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
What's close to a S/E or HP Enduro?

My favorite bikes of all time were the BMW HP Enduro and the KTM Super Enduro. Retardedly big enduro/dirt bike things. I plan on getting a bike between now and september-ish. I however, would like to purchase a new/relatively new bike. It's really hard to find any of these bikes used and I worry that the owner rode it the way your supposed to.(i.e. really hard) My question is: What bikes that are currently being made, or will be made in 2013, will be close to this? I assume the ktm adventure r is fairly close. I know they actually lowered the suspension. Are there any other bikes that would be close to what these bikes were?
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
I found a low miles SE-R from an inmate. The only new bikes i considered were the Adventure R and 690 Enduro (thumper but 60+ hp). Probably the next closest is the F800GS and Tiger 800XC.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Thanks for the reply. I figured I would be stuck with these routes. Guess I'll have to look around and see what falls within my requirements the best.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
If you don't mind buying remotely and having the bike shipped, or doing a fly'n'ride, you may still be able to find a brand-new Super Enduro on a dealership floor somewhere. Check cycletrader.com, or see if your local KTM dealer can track one down for you.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
There is no bike that is close to the 950 SE right now. Even the 990 shares very few parts, from suspension to wheels to fueling system to tanks etc everything is different.

The later LC8 engines are solid if you take care of a few things and very few people have the skills to ride a bike like that "hard" for what it can do anyway. I think 99% of us - including me - would crap their pants if you really twist the throttle of an SE off road.

So I wouldn't be worried about buying one used if it doesn't have a ton of miles on it.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
I found a low miles SE-R from an inmate. The only new bikes i considered were the Adventure R and 690 Enduro (thumper but 60+ hp). Probably the next closest is the F800GS and Tiger 800XC.
+1. I too would love them to re-release the HP2 and would buy one in a heartbeat if they did. The F800GS with a few tweaks is a relatively affordable alternative with readily available spares.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
+1. I too would love them to re-release the HP2 and would buy one in a heartbeat if they did. The F800GS with a few tweaks is a relatively affordable alternative with readily available spares.
The F800GS will never have SE power but at least it can have the same or better suspension.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracothius View Post
My favorite bikes of all time were the BMW HP Enduro and the KTM Super Enduro. Retardedly big enduro/dirt bike things. I plan on getting a bike between now and september-ish. I however, would like to purchase a new/relatively new bike. It's really hard to find any of these bikes used and I worry that the owner rode it the way your supposed to.(i.e. really hard) My question is: What bikes that are currently being made, or will be made in 2013, will be close to this? I assume the ktm adventure r is fairly close. I know they actually lowered the suspension. Are there any other bikes that would be close to what these bikes were?
Are you looking for high power-to-weight ratio or just flat out a high horsepower bike with long travel suspension?

As far as I know, either one of these criteria will lead you to a new KTM. The TE610 has a great power to weight ratio, as does the XR650R, but neither one of those is a current model...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The F800GS will never have SE power but at least it can have the same or better suspension.

I see what you're saying abou the front MC now
Old 02-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
2 is better than 4
Calculated risk takr

Oddometer: 102
I may be a little biased but the se is hard to beat. I've rode the bmw, ducatai multi in the 1100 and 1200, hyper moto, and even ktms own 990adv. The light weight of the se compared to the responsiveness and off idle tourque make this an extremly fun bike to own, granted it doesnt have the outright top speed of the new multistrada but at half the price it is a more entertaining urban assault vehicle and its surprisingly capabable off road. The best way for me to describe it is a perfect xr650l that is if you have the inseam. And I wouldnt worry about a used one being ridden too hard unless someone did three baja's at 120mph+!!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
2 is better than 4
Calculated risk takr

Oddometer: 102
I have heard that Husqvarana is suposed to be releasing a 320lb ish 100hp v twin hypermoto/supermoto like bike that would be a fun machine if the tourque curve is fat!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Dracothius OP
Berserker

That's good to know about the used bikes being in a good condition. I think I'll probably end up doing that. I'll have to keep an eye out and hoping the timing is right. I might ask my dealer if they can find me one. That sounded like a good idea.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
hey,
have you ever heard of highland motorcycles?

i don´t know anything about the bikes, or the company, but it seems like a 950SE.

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Yes, I have heard of Highland. They were looking like a really good company but, had the misfortune of a plane crash killing 3 of the leading people in the company. I met two of them and they were great guys. It set the company back and I have not heard much since then. Their website is up but, are having a tough time with the loss of such important people. I hope they can make it and would get one of their bikes if they can.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
now that you mention it, i remember this sad story. i hope the company can still be succesfull and more than that, hope their families can get through this.

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote