User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Need advice slab'n Tex and Gulf for Bike Week

Im trying to plan a route to get to Bike week this year on the Harley. Weather will dictate some of it. I've ridden from the Pacific to Atlantic and back a couple times but I was always north of this area and it was summer. I'll be traveling alone and anticipate early starts and in a room by dinner. I recently retired but I have a wife to get back to so I don't want to take a month to do it. I'm hoping to see a little flat track racing in Daytona but not too interested in the rest of the biker madness. Although I don't want to deviate too far from a direct route, I'd hate to drive right by something. I hope to be gone less than 18 days. Any advice appreciated.
MrEndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,661
I would suggest a Big Bend drive through\stay, but don't know if you're camping. You're taking I-10 I assume, good steakhouse i bit east of el paso called Cattlemans steak house. Other than that there ain't much,and louisiana has some pretty crappy roads. I'm jaded though, gone a half dozen times and the traffic there is beyond reason, though there's always an alternate street, but the interstate really sucks, and its really flat until tallahassee.

When I go back I'll go though arkansas to at least see some pretty roads
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
From El Paso, take IH-10 east 160 miles to Kent.

Turn south on 118 and ride a great road to Ft Davis, Alpine and Marathon. If you have time, go south to Big Bend.

From Marathon, continue east on Hwy 90 to Uvalde. If you have time, take in Camp Wood, Leakey, and Utopia to the north. Ride the Three Sisters: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/55...5-336337a.html

From Utopia go to Bandera then San Antonio.

If you don't do 3 Sisters, continue on Hwy 90 to San Antonio and catch IH-10 again to Seguin, another 120 miles.

Drop down to Hwy 90 Alternate and continue only 50 miles to Shiner... drink a beer at the brewery.

Continue east on Hwy 90A to Eagle Lake then head up to Sealy to catch IH-10.

Take the slab and hope for the best through Houston and on to Louisiana.

http://g.co/maps/gqbf3

NFE

No False Enthusiasm screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 02:29 PM
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It sounds like I-10 corridore is the way to go as opposed to further north in the state? Are there any passes along I-10 or
I-20 route that might present snow issues? I assume the further south the warmer it gets but I no nothing of the weather patterns out there. Thanks for your input this far!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

It's Texas weather... no one knows for sure...

IH-20 would not be fun... lots of trucks and long straight distances filled with flatness.

If you take IH-10, be careful around Van Horn... the edge of the earth is out there... somewhere...

NFE
Old 02-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,440
I10...Not necessarily.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEndo View Post
It sounds like I-10 corridore is the way to go as opposed to further north in the state? Are there any passes along I-10 or
I-20 route that might present snow issues? I assume the further south the warmer it gets but I no nothing of the weather patterns out there. Thanks for your input this far!
I like No False's suggestions mostly...but I'd maybe stray to the north of San Antone from the 3 Sisters ,heading thru the Kerrville/Fredericksburg area on RR337/TX16/US290/US281 north to Marble Falls then over toward north Austin on FM1431.

You'd need to cross US183 on 1431 & take Sam Bass Rd over to US79 at Round Rock on I35 mostly skirting the Austin traffic. Once on 79 take it thru Taylor (Louie Mueller BBQ voted some of the best ..closed Sundays) & on east up toward Palestine. Where it joins US 84 before Palestine take the next right on TX294 into the Piney Woods thru Elkhart to Alto then TX21 thru Nacogdoches/San Augustine over into Louisania.

Northern Louisania's roads seem to be in better shape than the southern part & US 84 goes all the way over to Valdosta GA before you'd need to catch a different road south to Daytona. I've been thru that area of Louisana/Mississippi a few times & it's nice..(stayed in Meridian)...with forest...some hills/curves. Not as fast as the interstate...but close enough to jump on if time is getting short. 84 runs thru Natchez where the Natchez Trace Pkwy ends too. There's also any number of other state or nat'l hwy's to jump off on for a while & still be headed in the general direction. I try to bypass large towns/traffic if possible by switching roads here & there

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 09:18 AM
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

I'd agree with Mr2's improvements...

If you get by Marble Falls, lots of folks stop by the Bluebonnet Cafe.

I remember when it was a classic small town diner with the lunch special and a good piece of pie.

It might be a bit more trendy now, but last time I was there, the food was still good.

NFE
Old 02-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
I'd agree with Mr2's improvements...

If you get by Marble Falls, lots of folks stop by the Bluebonnet Cafe.

I remember when it was a classic small town diner with the lunch special and a good piece of pie.

It might be a bit more trendy now, but last time I was there, the food was still good.

NFE
Lotsa good eatin in Texas. We stopped at a little BBQ joint in Palestine called Sheps BBQ...on the NE side just inside the loop. (not to be confused with Schoepf's in Belton) but both good in their own ways.
...& the apple place in Medina...everything apple (name?) ...& the Bluebell Creamery in Brenham (ICECREAM!)
+other neat stuff......
the motorcycle museum in Vanderpool....(+ Lost Maples State Park in fall season) ....Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg..(+ the old railroad tunnel/bat Sanctuary on Old Hwy 9 south of Fberg)....& on & on & on...

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEndo View Post
I-20 splits off I-10 just East of the pass (Kent's on the West side); there's only one but significant snow there is rare. (The wind blows it off. ) From there East, you're pretty much going downhill all the way to SE TX & S. LA and it's pretty flat from there on. In South Luzianna, an overpass is commonly referred to as a mountain.

I-20 takes you through Midland/Odessa (remember the recent Wx spots about Midland having more snow on the ground than Chicago, or somewhere up Nawth where they're supposed to get it?), Abilene, past DFW, Tyler, Longview, etc., to Shreveport so you add some miles then sooner or later have to work back down to I-10 anyway.

Cheapest gas will likely be around El Paso; it was in Nov/Dec and in Feb, last year.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All these routes sound very appealling. Thanks for the great intel!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
Great BBQ....

...in Junction, Texas. Good stopping point. Google BBQ in Junction, they are all spectacular.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally got out here!

Surgery prevented me from making the trip last year but here I sit tonight in Sealy... Had a great day ridding from Sonora South and then doing the Three Sisters loop clockwise. Nice road and scenery! No one told me there would be soooo many hunting ranches and game to be seen. Great views and good clean roads. They were doing some roadwork and I suspect it will all be great surface by the fall. The 118 south out of Kent was a nice drive yesterday but the Chevron was closed and I had to backtrack about 14 miles to fill up. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Trip going great so far. A little cold but weather is warming.. Early start to the east on the slab in the am...
2006 950 Adv S/2002 640 Adv/1970 Yamaha RT1
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

I think I saw you go by...

NFE
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great Trip!

Thanks everyone for all your input! Yesterday, after meeting with NFE, I rode from Marathon through the park and along the river up to Marfa then out to Van Horn and this morning I waken in Deming NM. What beautiful country! I hope to come back and stay sometime. What a gem of a hotel in Marathon. When I called ahead to the Gage and they gave me their pricing I figured it was going to be a dive and they were just the only hotel in town. What a surprise to find such a great place. I wish I arrived earlier in the day and stayed later in the morning.

Great to meet you No False Enthusiasm (NFE). And I can tell your enthusiasm is in fact genuine. You are truly a gentleman demonstrated when you helped the stranger put air in his tire as we met at the Shell station, stopped for another motorist on the way to see me, and helped the turtle off the road on our ride out of town! What a guy, you represent all Texans well! AdvRider brought it all together once again!!!
2006 950 Adv S/2002 640 Adv/1970 Yamaha RT1
Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Glad you enjoyed your ride through Texas. Some of the finest ADVers/Texans came out to show you good ole Texas Hospitality. It still is alive here in Texas. Enjoy the rest of your journey.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote