Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
motorbikeman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Which aftermarket windscreen for 2012 R1200GSA?

Hello guys,

I've ridden my 2012 R1200GSA for about 10,000kms. It's time for it to go get serviced and I want to change my windshield. The stock windshield isn't working at all for me. I'm about 6'2 tall (187cms) and the buffeting is terrible. Most of the times I just crouch because I cant take it anymore.

I want to upgrade my windshield. Can someone here recommend a good windshield for someone as tall as me and something that fits on the 2012 R1200GSA (Adventure!) without much fuss.

Thanks
motorbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,382
being of taller height, you might consider a windscreen from Cee Bailey that offers varying heights/widths for each. you might also want to try a wind deflector from Wunderlich, it made a world of difference on my GS (wears a GSA windscreen).

there are a lots and lots of threads related to your question (do a search if you haven't), but i'm guessing that it might be reason for yours
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbikeman View Post
Hello guys,

I've ridden my 2012 R1200GSA for about 10,000kms. It's time for it to go get serviced and I want to change my windshield. The stock windshield isn't working at all for me. I'm about 6'2 tall (187cms) and the buffeting is terrible. Most of the times I just crouch because I cant take it anymore.

I want to upgrade my windshield. Can someone here recommend a good windshield for someone as tall as me and something that fits on the 2012 R1200GSA (Adventure!) without much fuss.

Thanks
If you end up changing a lot of hardware and as such remove all the stuff that would allow me to install your old screen on my GS, then please hit me up, I'm 6' so the stock GSA screen is something I'd like to try..
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...h_model=bm-062

I'm 6'4" and have been running the tall ZTechnik. Cuts the buffeting to a minimum.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Pending on whaere you live, you can test out the Cee Bailey windscreen at certain BMW Locations. Tested it out thru the BMW in Chandler, AZ for my GS.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post

I'm 6'4" and have been running the tall ZTechnik. Cuts the buffeting to a minimum.
I'm 6'2" and the Z-tecknic medium has worked pretty darn well for me. Its not perfect but I can adjust between more or less clean airflow and pushing the air up and over the helmet. Pretty good compromise but by no means perfect.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,779
I'd try a Touratech spoiler or a Laminar Lip first. It adds height to your existing screen and the laminar air flow smoothes out buffeting.

That said; I don't have one and never did, but a lot of people swear by them.

Cee Baileys makes a touring "Adventure" screen that fits your existing hardware, and even your winglets.(or replaces them with 1/2" wider ones)

I LOVE my GIVI Airflow AF330, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I usually run it with the upper section half way up or lower.. This gives plenty of CLEAN air across the helmet without any buiffetting. I only use it all the way up on longer freeway trips in colder weather.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I'd try a Touratech spoiler or a Laminar Lip first. It adds height to your existing screen and the laminar air flow smoothes out buffeting.
My cousin and I both added the Touratech spoilers to our 2012 GSA's and they made a HUGE difference. I'm 6'0" and my cousin is 6'6", and for both of us the wind protection went from good (with some helmet buffeting) to perfect.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I'm about 6' 4" and I've got the Touratech spoiler on my '11 GSA. It definitely helps the buffeting and a rather 'cheap' fix for around $125. The Touratech spoiler is not adjustable as the Wunderlich one which I think adds some benefits.
Touratech spoiler
Wunderlich spoiler
The aluminum hardware is awkward at first but you learn to look through it after a while instead of staring at it. I think what makes them workable is that they let some air through which helps reducing the overall buffeting. These are good only if you need that extra inch or so on your windscreen.

A friend of mine that has gone through about all of the after market windscreens likes Aeroflow the best.
Aeroflow Windscreens

I've finally got a chip in my stock windscreen and when it gets bad enough I think I'll try the Aeroflow.

I've got to mention too that although the spoiler works for me - it doesn't for my wife when we are two up - she gets hammered at the helmet level. It simply isn't enough of a improvement to cover her too. But she is also sitting higher than me on the back. So if your wanting a fix for riding two up, I would go with a whole new aftermarket windscreen that is quite a bit taller than stock.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
channa51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Best bet-cut the screen down (do search to see how others have done it) very cheap and parlays the most results-no buffeting and suprising amount of wind protetion.
channa51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Thumb

At 6 8" Aeroflow is the one to buy, you can always cut it down......
Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Here's a link to another thread here on Givi Airflow Windshield--Review which has some good comments and other ideas...
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Izzy3
Freak of Unnature

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post

+1
The Ztech windshields are the frickin' bomb, even for a 6'6" guy like me. You can roll as fast as you wish on the super slab and no more buffeting. Easy to install too. I love mine and would not trade it for anything.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
+1
The Ztech windshields are the frickin' bomb, even for a 6'6" guy like me. You can roll as fast as you wish on the super slab and no more buffeting. Easy to install too. I love mine and would not trade it for anything.
+2 for the tall Ztech, I also sit on a Sergeant regular height saddle which will lower you down an inch from the stock butt burning elevated (for no reason that I have heard) GSA pillow. I ride my GSA with a full face XD-3 with the visor up with wrap around sunglasses with no problems, unless you have a good crosswind.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
I have had no joy from my tall ZTechnic in regards to the buffeting. It is great as far as wind protection goes, but at 6'1" and a 32" inseam, no setting provides relief for me from the dreaded buffeting. I use the stock GS Adventure seat set at high, as this setting provides just a bit more leg room.

I have a lead on an Aeroflow Sport Half Fairing from another inmate on here. He has been able to compare stock vs stock with Wunderlich deflector vs Wunderlich Ergo vs Wunderlich Ergo with Wunderlich Deflector vs Aeroflow vs Givi AF 330. He is still experimenting with the Givi, but, so far, the Aeroflow has his highest marks. The Givi is apparently very "responsive" to slight adjustments, and he mentioned that the Wunderlich Ergo has a lesser build quality than the Aeroflow. Additionally, the Wunderlich Ergo with the deflector does eliminate the buffeting AND receives the highest marks from his passenger.

So, more information for the inmates. More is better!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote