User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Born1944 OP
RoadcrafterAlwaysOn

Oddometer: 59
What is the key code and other mysteries

My new-to-me and about-totally-stock '09 GS has a little thing on its key ring, a molded plastic fob that has GKS molded on one side and what might be a key code stamped on the other. K followed by four digits.

Is this the key code, useful for getting another key?

There is also an all-plastic key. Is that a valet-type thing, that would enable someone to key the ignition only, but nothing else, such as the seat release, bag release, bags, etc.?

And how about the pigtail under the seat, some kind of plug. Has a nicely molded cap which when pulled off reveals a two-prong male pluggie thing inside. Is this where the shop's computer links in?

Or, better for me, is it a 12V outlet I can use with my Riderwearhouse Unobtanium electric vest?

Edit: Stupid me! A little reading tells me that is the battery tender pigtail. And I should have known, as the owner included his battery tender.

Born1944 screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 11:44 AM
Born1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Not That Simple

The keys are chipped. The antenna ring around the key ignition lock scans the chip and sends that code to the ECU...The ECU sez "cool you can start the bike" that is the correct code or "EWS" if the wrong chip is presented to the antenna..with the 'EWS' you are now locked out and only a BMW dealer can reset the code and allow the ECU to initialize for the bike to start.

There was/is a recall on the antenna rings [they replace free], some rings seemed to be faulty [it was never divulged why they failed] and would lock out the correct chip...Contact your BMW dealer with your VIN the dealer can then search to see whether or not you have the "new, improved [and free]" antenna and when or if you ever need a new chip/key [even if you lose your key] they can order a new and encoded key from BMW Motorrad. But all new keys come with new codes already in the ECU. I believe your ECU has 9 key/chip codes available for re-keying that are assigned to only your VIN/bike. New key, new chip code taken from your ECU, ECU programmed to now recognize that new code and away you go!

To future confuse the issues...a "EWS" display can also mean a bad battery. As I recall if the console fully initializes it is not the key chip generating the warning but the battery..

Search on EWS on this forum or Google it for the BMW bikes. Folks much better than I explain the process and your options.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Born1944 OP
RoadcrafterAlwaysOn

Oddometer: 59
My, my. How tech.

So what's the all-plastic key about?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born1944 View Post
My, my. How tech.

So what's the all-plastic key about?
Something to carry in your wallet in case you lose your big key. Or stash on the bike for emergencies on long trips.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Something to carry in your wallet in case you lose your big key. Or stash on the bike for emergencies on long trips.
You DO THAT...and you're virtually screwed. (for more time that you think).
Hang on to the PLASTIC one...it's worth DOUBLE it's weight in GOLD.

Read 'em and weep:

52. I LOST THE KEY(S) TO MY BIKE. WHAT DO I DO NOW?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396942
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791283
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I recall my dealership telling me the plastic key is also the master key; they need that one to make new hard keys.
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
kendives
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I don't think they need the plastic one. I had a spare key made with only the VIN and proof of ownership. I did it over the phone.

I did use the plastic key one time when my regular key was missing (hence the spare key order). It worked, but scared the ... out of me every time I put it in out of fear of breaking it.

(I did have to send them a copy of my ID and had to go in person to pick it up [with ID and Registration]so they could prove to BMW that I was who I said I was)

kendives screwed with this post 09-11-2014 at 08:02 AM
kendives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
marmota
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I lost the plastic one somewhere in Montana on my way to Vancouver. I've lost two keys (plastic one included) and have had no issues going to BMW with ownership and id to get new ones. Never had to bring any keys for it either. The plastic key worked exactly as the metal ones for me as far as I can tell
marmota is offline   Reply With Quote