User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
MaxReving OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Sold my 2013 R1200GS LC time to move on

Back in March 2013 I picked up a brand new R1200GS LC with all the trimmings and it is now time to move on. I have sold it after almost 65.000 km in twenty months. I thought I would share my experience with you.

This was the configuration of my bike:
  • Dynamic ESA
  • Ride Modes Pro
  • On Board Computer Pro
  • LED Headlight
  • LED Turning lights
  • Hand Protection
  • Heated Grips
  • TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor)
  • Cruise Control
  • GPS Preparation (and BMW Motorrad Navigator V)
  • Chrome Exhaust Pipe
  • Anti Theft Alarm System
  • Cross Spoke Wheels
  • Saddle Bag Mounts
  • Vario Cases (left and right) incl. Inner Bags
  • LED Auxiliary Headlight
  • Stainless Steel Engine Protection Bar (BMW Motorrad)
  • Aluminium Enduro Engine Guard (BMW Motorrad)
  • Adjustable Rider Foot Pegs (BMW Motorrad)
  • High Seat (BMW Motorrad)

It was Alpine White, which is the fastest of all the colors they offer :-)

This is my service history and as you can see there has been no big surprises. Just normal service and tires except for excessive wear on the rear brake pads and disc. I may just have been very lucky with this bike. All the service have been done by an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer/service parther. The tires I have changed myself. Engine has not used any oil and it has never been necessary to top up the oil between services.

km-stand
  • 00.002 - Delivery (Metzeler Tourance Next front and rear)
  • 01.254 - 1.000 km run-in service
  • 07.985 - New tire rear (Metzeler Tourance Next)
  • 11.213 - 10.000 service plus new brake pads rear
  • 14.648 - New tire front and rear (Metzeler Tourance Next)
  • 21.641 - New tire rear (Metzeler Tourance Next)
  • 21.931 - 20.000 service
  • 24.651 - New tire front and rear (Metzeler Tourance Next)
  • 29.238 - 30.000 km service plus new brake pads rear
  • 31.999 - New tire rear (Metzeler Tourance Next)
  • 39.658 - New tire front and rear (Metzeler Tourance Next)
  • 41.233 - 40.000 km service
  • 46.898 - New tire front and rear (Metzeler Tourance Next)
  • 50.031 - 50.000 km service plus brake pads and disc rear
  • 52.323 - Recall - Transmission output seal
  • 55.412 - New tire rear (Metzeler Tourance Next)
  • 62.325 - New tire front and rear (Metzeler Tourance Next)
  • 62.541 - 60.000 km service
  • 64.584 - Sold

I have paid for all the brake pads and one disc. No guarantee or refund was given by BMW Motorrad.

The bike has been off-road less than approx. 3.000 km. High-speed motorway (Autobahn) riding with speeds over 160 km/h (100 mph) has been less than approx. 2.000 km. Most of the riding (close to 60.000 km) has been small twisty back roads (yes, it has taken a long time to do all these kms).

It is a fantastic bike and there are a few things that I want to highlight:
  • Dynamic ESA - The dynamic ESA is in my opinion the most significant improvement from the former R1200GS model. Handling is precise and predictable.
  • Brakes - The brakes on the GS have always been great but on the new R1200GS LC they are better than ever. Grubby and easy to dose. Never faded ever when riding the beast hard in the Alps.
  • Ergonomics - The new R1200GS LC is a little bit more roomy than the former model and it feels like you are sitting more in the seat than on the seat. For taller riders it is a dream bike.
  • Wind Protection - The GS is not a touring bike designed for basting down the motorway with 180-200 km/h all day long. However, the wind screen with its twin screens is a lot better then the former R1200GS. Buffering is a lot less and if you are using an enduro helmet then you will feel a positive difference.
  • GPS Wheel - Both the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV and V can be controlled by the use of the GPS wheel on the handlebar. I use the GPS wheel to zoom in and out on the GPS map a lot. It is great.

There are also a few things that could be improved.
  • Gear Arm and Side Stand - I am using the adjustable foot pegs in the low position and when you adjust the gear arm down low to fit the lower position of the foot pegs then the gear arm gets in conflict with the side stand.
  • GPS Holder - The GPS holder can be locked with the main key and that is great. But the GPS holder is sitting so low that it covers a bit of the main display.
  • Cruise Control Switch - The cruise control feature is great and it works perfect. The switch for managing the cruise control is a bit flimsy and a bit unpredictable.
  • Tires - I have only been using the new Metzeler Tourance Next tires and they are great in the dry and wet but they dont last very long. At 6-7.000 km the rear tire is down to the indicator marks. Front tire runs twice as long but it is not much fun in the rain after 12.000 km.

It is more or less needless to say that I have been more than satisfied with this bike but it is time to more on, so I have sold it and bought a new 2015 R1200GS LC. My new bike will be build in January 2015 and it will have all the trimmings including keyless and gear shift assist pro.

I am looking forward to the new 2015 season and my new bike. I will try out some other tires and maybe the new Conti TKC 70 could turn out to be great.

One happy GS rider

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,268
Awesome, thanks for sharing Max! Congrats on the new bike too!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Dave22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
the keyless and shift assist ARE reason enough to trade in. They are "once you have them you dont want to live without them" features.
Dave22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Mighty fine summary.

Seems like a lot of rear tyres but I guess you are riding on unsealed backroads as you say. Give your 65K Klm your average speed on those roads must be insane!

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
bikeroz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
I'm also used to very good quality unsealed roads and doing speeds of 120km/h+ was just the norm. Mostly ranging between 100-140.
Then I moved to Australia

I see all the beautiful roads and I and when no one is looking, I'm like

I also think the 2015 is The ONE.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Good report, what is the next bike?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Glad you were happy with the bike so far. Are you selling it because the warranty is expired due to mileage?

Do you know if there were any valve shim replacements needed during the 3 valve checks in the schedule? Interested in how the valves behave as the miles pile up.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 272
40,000 miles in two years is impressive. I rode 13000 this year and thought that was a good bit. Great to hear the good news on your new bike and your impressions of your 2013. I'm beginning to ponder the LC format, but still having a love affair with my 2012. I'm almost reluctant to test ride the new bikes for fear I will be signing papers of some sort.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
MaxReving OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Mighty fine summary.

Seems like a lot of rear tyres but I guess you are riding on unsealed backroads as you say. Give your 65K Klm your average speed on those roads must be insane!
I didn't write "unsealed" backroads. Maybe my English is not that good but I did mean to say "small sealed backroads". Yes, it has taken many days and many, many hours to do all these kilometers/miles.

Just had a look at my GPS log. 264 full riding days in 20 months. This is an average of 244 km per riding day (152 miles per riding day). Longest riding day was from Ystad to Lule in Sweden !! 1.664 km in one day. That was a long day. 18 hours on the bike !!

Old 11-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
MaxReving OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
Good report, what is the next bike?
Next bike is a 2015 R1200GS LC. Alpine white with all the trimmings including Keyless and Gear Shift Assist Pro.

The 2015 model now only comes in Alpine White with black engine but they are making a special one for me in Alpine White with silver/grey engine. I think my BMW Motorrad dealer is just ordering a red one and then swapping the two plastic parts with a white one he has in stock.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
MaxReving OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
Glad you were happy with the bike so far. Are you selling it because the warranty is expired due to mileage?

Do you know if there were any valve shim replacements needed during the 3 valve checks in the schedule? Interested in how the valves behave as the miles pile up.
I sold it partly to get the Gear Shift Assist Pro. My early 2013 model could not be fitted with the GSAP. Secondly, they gave me a great deal that I could not turn down

The valves has been checked at service but they have never adjusted them. Just called the guy today to have him confirm it. No adjustment done.

Shit maybe I should not have sold it

Old 11-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
bikeroz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
I am curious what you do for living or how come you get to travel so much?
Old 11-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
MaxReving OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeroz View Post
I am curious what you do for living or how come you get to travel so much?
Retired businessman

Old 11-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
pistole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
good write up.

clearly , you enjoyed your old bike. Good luck and let us know how the new GSLC performs.

pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
Byrdguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
It's great that you like the 13 enough to buy another new GS. It's also great to hear about the solid reliability of your 13. I'm sure the vast majority of them are rock solid reliable, it's just that we only hear about the problems. Congrats on your new 15, hope you post pics.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote