("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860
GS Slim Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxamet View Post
1150GS

Grtz:
dxamet
Nice job at slimming down the rather porky GS. I did as you, stick with the system luggage and went to an RT sized Left. The system luggage is much lighter than the pricy aluminum affairs that everyone gravitates towards. I think another advantage too, not as likely to ensue sub-frame damage in a low-side.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #198
RyWi028
n00b

Oddometer: 9

These make great toolboxes. They are durable, the perfect size, and watertight. Covered with Truck Bed liner.

RyWi028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #199
RyWi028
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hockey puck side stand extension. Keeps the bike from leaning too far and keeps the drivewaygarage from getting scratched.

RyWi028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #200
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Modified rear rack

I bought my '02 R1150GS this April. It had the gigantic Best Rest "Model T" rack on the back:

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-19...cargorest.aspx

As a side note, does anyone think this rack is really a good idea? It sure would allow you to put a lot of weight way behind the rear wheel.

I promptly took the rack off and set it aside, with no plans of using it. I also took of the Best Rest back rest as shown in the second picture above. A few months later, my wife started ridding pillion with me. She commented about not having anything behind her and it felt insecure. I got to thinking about the back rest I removed and found out it can be used as a pillion back rest when using one of the Best Rest (gigantic) rear cargo racks.

I looked and Best Rest didn't make a smaller rack, so I had the "Model T" modified by a local metal fab shop, as I was never going to use it in it's original size. I got the rack back from the fab shop and painted it a silver that is very close to the sliver used on the trim and factory cargo rack. I got it installed today and here's the final result:

So, while i didn't "make" it myself, I did have it modified and I did paint it myself.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #201
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinOR View Post
I bought my '02 R1150GS this April. It had the gigantic Best Rest "Model T" rack on the back:

As a side note, does anyone think this rack is really a good idea? It sure would allow you to put a lot of weight way behind the rear wheel.

I promptly took the rack off and set it aside, with no plans of using it. I also took of the Best Rest back rest as shown in the second picture above. A few months later, my wife started ridding pillion with me. She commented about not having anything behind her and it felt insecure. I got to thinking about the back rest I removed and found out it can be used as a pillion back rest when using one of the Best Rest (gigantic) rear cargo racks.

I looked and Best Rest didn't make a smaller rack, so I had the "Model T" modified by a local metal fab shop, as I was never going to use it in it's original size. I got the rack back from the fab shop and painted it a silver that is very close to the sliver used on the trim and factory cargo rack. I got it installed today and here's the final result:

So, while i didn't "make" it myself, I did have it modified and I did paint it myself.
Looks like you have enough leverage to lift the front wheel off the ground w/one hand! I'd say you'll definitely have a negative affect on handling even w/20lbs hanging on that thing.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #202
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
Looks like you have enough leverage to lift the front wheel off the ground w/one hand! I'd say you'll definitely have a negative affect on handling even w/20lbs hanging on that thing.
Which is why I took it off in the first place...
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #203
Cainer
supern00b

Oddometer: 191
Probably Been Invented Before...

This has probably been invented a thousand times before, but I thought I'd share.

I did my first valve job and plug change today on my 02 GSA and I wanted a way to properly torque the plugs. The only problem was that I didn't have a socket thin enough to go down the well. The author of the Oilhead Maintenance Manual in Wisdom said that he welded a nut onto his BMW plug removal tool, but not having a welder or knowing how to weld made that option hard. I'd seen some people had machine milled down sockets to have very thin walls, but since I didn't have a nice lathe, I started work on my bench grinder trying to thin the walls of an old 5/8" socket I had lying around to see if I could get it to fit. It was taking forever (that steel is hard!) and doing it on a grinding wheel was making it look pretty ghetto, but then I came up with another idea.

I had an old 13/16th socket laying around that fit just perfectly around the BMW tool (though a little larger should work too).

So I put it in a vice:

Then I added one of these:

To make one of these:

Which slips onto the plug wrench from the BMW toolkit like this:

And which let me put the spark plug in like this:

And BTW, all I can say is WOW to the awesome sound of a new valve job and new plugs. The engine sounds so much tighter now. Tomorrow, I'll dip it in Harmonizer butter. :)
Cainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #204
bmw-gs-rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I ordered custom top case for my R 1150 GS. The top case dimensions are based on original aluminum top case from BMW R1200GS Adventure (approx. 365x310x315mm) because I like the proportions but since my helmet is little bit bigger I enlarged it to 400x340x340mm (still can be used on R1200GS and it fits between the side cases) that is much better for my purposes but still seems reasonably small.
Another thing that I wanted from the manufacturer (BEGR) was the padded upper edge to avoid damaging of my helmet when inserting to/removing from the topcase. The producer did that really nicely with some rubber gasket. Since I want to use the topcase basicly only for the helmet I decided to pad the interior with heavy duty carpet.
I bought all the necessary stuff and started with padding (for the first time in my life):

Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #205
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,381
Too many days in ADVertising/Marketing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-gs-rider View Post
I ordered custom top case for my R 1150 GS. The top case dimensions are based on original aluminum top case from BMW R1200GS Adventure (approx. 365x310x315mm) because I like the proportions but since my helmet is little bit bigger I enlarged it to 400x340x340mm (still can be used on R1200GS and it fits between the side cases) that is much better for my purposes but still seems reasonably small.
Another thing that I wanted from the manufacturer (BEGR) was the padded upper edge to avoid damaging of my helmet when inserting to/removing from the topcase. The producer did that really nicely with some rubber gasket. Since I want to use the topcase basicly only for the helmet I decided to pad the interior with heavy duty carpet.
I bought all the necessary stuff and started with padding (for the first time in my life):

Very nice good...looks professional.

I see KITS selling like hot cakes...get to it!

Better yet...sell the TEMPLATES! Do once...rake in the dough!
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #206
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinOR View Post

Have one..love it..
Gunnison River

To be honest..I bought it when I rode two up everywhere..it worked out great!! Now..I really don't need it..just have never taken off...
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #207
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
I made a shorty sport screen for my bike. I had an old ADV screen that the previous owner scratched up. I cut 6 " off and sanded the edge. Then painted the inside with Plastidip.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #208
stfmkr
2up Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Great thread, innovation rules! The short windscreen is marvelous.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #209
phubner
n00b

Oddometer: 7
At it's heart, my RT thinks its a GS. And that, my fellow adventurers, is all is takes for me to allow myself to post my pix in this thread The custom welded rack took me about an hour to knock out from cheap steel tubing and is a great for holding my gear.

And before you chase me away, my new to me 2006 R1200GSA is awaiting my custom 30mm ammocan-toolbox for behind the Micatech panniers. I just need for the darn box to arrive so I can customize it then post pix :-)

phubner screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 05:55 PM Reason: photo size reduced.
phubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #210
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
HELL to the yes.

I struggle with that every damn time.

whats the thread and pitch so I can make one up?
Absolutely!

I've got four spare wheel bolts from my 1100, I'm going to behead one and turn it into a mounting stud.