Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #226
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Has anyone put together a dyno run with these filters yet? Or finalized some jetting?
You know, actual useful information.
ADVronski,

Yes, I and two other KTM 950 owners have performed several dyno runs, gone through several iterations and changes to the initial settings and then ran the dyno again. The two bikes then were tested at race pace for the duration of 4 days during the MX1000, one of the riders completed the race 2nd overall, the other DNF'd with a broken clutch cover after a slow crash in some rocks (proof that a CF or billet cover would be a good addition!). Mike reported that he consumed slightly less fuel at pace than he did with the OEM airbox that had been jetted as follows: #45 pilot, #50 IAJ, mains: 165r/160f, OEM needles @#4, prefilter and sommer door mod w/ foam, Mikuni diaphragm fuel pump w/o regulation. Mike stated that the bike (CPR setup) felt very smooth, very easy to ride, no major hit and at first he was mildly complaining that the bike felt slow, however later discovered that this was not really the case. Dyno for Mike's bike were done rapidly the day before leaving for the race by a inexperienced operator and honestly I do not believe the "numbers" other than the AFR (no I am not "tuning for AFR"), which basically told us that we where not going to melt the engine down during the race.

Aaron performed several runs and did the majority of the preliminary seat of pants testing then we backed it up with the dyno and AFR (no 5 gas unfortunately, but at least a WideBand O2), that confirmed what he was feeling in field testing.

Both bikes are running 2-1 exhaust, however one is left exit, the other right, both with inserts in the mufflers. We found that there seemed to be a sensitivity to the exhaust inserts more so than in other induction setups, however I have not backed this up yet with my Adventure test mule.

With the CPR filter, we found that we needed to pull the float height back as a result of running rather large mains (178-188 depending on which bike) to get idle and cruise corrected. Presently running a custom needle, #3 clip, however we are continuing to test the OEM needle to see if we can massage it into working correctly. Fuel pressure is1.5-2.5 psi. Air jets were bumped up a little on the Idle air cut valve assoc'd jet. Still working on this optimal settings for all three airjets.

CPR has done dyno testing on a Superduke and so have others out there, I think that its 6-9 HP increase if I recall correctly. I believe that the SE and the SM will perform slightly better because of the colder intake charge opposed to the ADV because of the fuel cells that constrict air flow. I have a couple ideas that I am working on such as heat shielding and directed flow from in front of the radiator (high pressure zone), however the path is small and very busy with other things so getting a duct though the mess is going to be interesting....

Cheers
Ken

Head2Wind screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 08:52 PM
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #227
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 684
Thanks for the info, Ken. I was concerned that since you sold your 950 Adv, you might put a project like this on the back burner. I should have known you would be up for such a challenge.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #228
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

added content to the original post cuz I'm lazy
Old 06-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #229
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Thanks for the info, Ken. I was concerned that since you sold your 950 Adv, you might put a project like this on the back burner. I should have known you would be up for such a challenge.
Right after I got my 690 I rounded up another 950 that needed some straightening attention in the subframes... Ive got it all pulled back into shape and have been riding it on my test track (my drive way) with a small aux fuel cell to mess with the last few things before I hang the left tank on it and start taking it around the block/I-5 for a real world test. As soon as I get that done, the 950 is getting torn down to get some new and interesting bits bolted into it thanks to a few SDs that met early bike death...
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #230
timbo45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Rottweiler

Does this airbox with the correct map make it run like it does at a lower elevation . Thats what im looking for
timbo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #231
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
I guess the 178-188 jets that Head2Wind references must be custom drilled? Just saying that because I have not been able to find any that big except in steps of five--175,180, 185.

My bike runs good at 175/180, and I have also tried 170/175, and have those main jets in while I wait for the removeable foam covers to become available. The hot dry air this time of the year actually allows for leaner jetting too, which seems backward but its not.

All my air jets are stock which is probably not optimal, but otherwise I stayed with the stock pilots and moved the needle clip to third from the top. Idle is good, but it has a bit (not bad but not perfect) of a flat spot at low rpms (3-4k) when you roll the throttle on hard. Above 4K it pulls clean and strong.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #232
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
any noticable torque / power improvements? If so, at low/mid/high rmp's? I still wonder about the slides not operating in a vacuum anymore as there is nearly no resistance with these kit's. Do you still have responce when you whack the trothle open?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #233
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
any noticable torque / power improvements? If so, at low/mid/high rmp's? I still wonder about the slides not operating in a vacuum anymore as there is nearly no resistance with these kit's. Do you still have responce when you whack the trothle open?
Yes, it is a noticeable difference to me. Pulls harder mid to top, and throttle response is as good as stock if not better.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #234
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
update

I posted my jetting trial in one of these threads, so I thought to give an update on how this holds up in the dust.
We recently finished the Roaming Rally http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750329

Most of the trails were extremely dusty and to tell you the truth I was a bit apprehensive on the filter's performance without the cover skin as I haven't ordered one yet. We also encountered a bit of rain and a couple (or six) water crossings 2-3' deep.
I intentionally didnt even check it other than removing the saddle for a quick visual and did not notice ANY loss of performance as the days went by and the filter got filthier.

Here's a pic of the dust on the bike, sorry about the shakie

a couple of the filter bathed in the finest silty sand Ontario and Quebec have to offer

this thing loves bugs!

the moment of truth:

clean as a whistle, not a spec of anything in the protected area, carb throats sparkling clean

Very pleased so far with this setup, the bike feels like it has more torque, better mid and high, but I'm still messing around with my jetting as I have open pipes and would like to try the jetting with a bit of restriction.

Thanks again Chris for an awesome product, I'll be ordering the filter skins soon

Diablo out

Old 06-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #235
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
I guess the 178-188 jets that Head2Wind references must be custom drilled? Just saying that because I have not been able to find any that big except in steps of five--175,180, 185.

My bike runs good at 175/180, and I have also tried 170/175, and have those main jets in while I wait for the removeable foam covers to become available. The hot dry air this time of the year actually allows for leaner jetting too, which seems backward but its not.

All my air jets are stock which is probably not optimal, but otherwise I stayed with the stock pilots and moved the needle clip to third from the top. Idle is good, but it has a bit (not bad but not perfect) of a flat spot at low rpms (3-4k) when you roll the throttle on hard. Above 4K it pulls clean and strong.
Bit late but Factory Pro make half steps
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #236
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 299
Finally finished
Result +10Hp

Fuel: 95 regular
Height: 23m above sea level
Outside temp between runs: 20-25 degree C
Gearing: 17 tooth sprocket front & 42 tooth sprocket rear

Stock run : 112Bhp - 100 Nm
Mods:
-orginal airfilter
-Arka cans + akra mapping
-32 mm db killers (ktm part nr: 76505099020)

End run: 123Bhp - 106Nm
Mods:
-CPR filter
-Akra cans
-32mm Db-killers
-2nd flies removed
-RC8 Stacks

Spark01 screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 10:24 AM
Spark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #237
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
a flat spot at low rpms (3-4k) when you roll the throttle on hard.
is that the slides struggling to open with low vacuum? that's what i like about the 950, its pretty good right off idle.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #238
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
Finally finished
Result +10Hp

Holy cow
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #239
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
is that the slides struggling to open with low vacuum? that's what i like about the 950, its pretty good right off idle.
I don't think so. It still pulls good off idle. Just a tiny bit of a flat spot and only when you try to make it do it. Riding off road under normal throttle openings and operation, it is better than the old air box. Whack the throttle open at 4K in first on the street and you will flip if the tire hooks up.

I don't think the vacuum signal is a factor at all. Maybe an expert like Head2Wind could chime in if this is really an issue or not.

I have found that the low end jetting--air screws and pilots were not really affected too much by this air box. Needle either. These carbs are so forgiving of jetting that it is hard to tell without the right equipment like a wide band and a dyno. The exceptions are the main jets. It needs FAT main jets, no question.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #240
tahoeacr OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Work has slowed down some so I will have some time to do a map. I took off the custom exhaust and put the stock one on with FMF mufflers. This won't be a bad ass smooth map as that would be proprietary but a good base map for you guys. I'll make sure your not too lean. Also will probably try the Akra map just to report back the A/F ratios.

This will be for
CPR filter
RC8 velocity stacks
aftermarket mufflers
secondary butterflies active
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote