User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Pete the Wulf OP
Bloody Goose

Oddometer: 27
The Little Red Piglet Postie

Well i got the tank on and moved the ignition and went for a little spin up sugarloaf to see how it the Little Red Piglet handles, i went straight up the link road and managed to overtake a car but im not sure what speed i was doing as the speedo is doing some strange things, as it was late in the arvo i didnt want to go too crazy but i had to try the dirt, from the lookout i went along the ridge and well................. lets just say that opened my eyes up and if there is a wash out coming you cant just twist the wrist and lift the front wheel to glide over.......oh no but sooooo much fun, it was only a quick run but it was good and i noticed a few problems that i have to sort out.

Meet the Little Red Piglet

The ignition was easy to move and i only blew one fuse in the process, glad it only has one.

This is a pic of the saddel i made for the tank, i bent up and welded some 10mm plastic at work.

this is how i mounted the front of the tank, i cut the brackets so they slip over the crash bar and then cable tied them

Not good but better find this now then half way through the middle of bugger all, i saw the broken swing arm in the hardcore postie challenge ride report and i think Will posted something up about this aswell, it would pay to take a look fellas.

on the way back the contour banks teased me and my heart said hit them but my brain told me to settle down.

on the way home i got pulled into a breath test and realised i didnt have my rego sticker on but the cop was actually pretty good and let me off with out a ticket.
heading back down the link rd and the piglet got up to 85 then almost 90.............well at least thats what my crazy speedo said.

Question time.
how come my speedo works properly sometimes and sometimes it goes nuts ?
its like it goes into turbo mode and i can do 60 in 1st then 80 in 2nd, 100 in 3rd and 4th just goes off the chart.

I seem to have a bog in my acceleration and i have been told that a new needle will fix this, true ?

The crack in the swing arm, weld it ? or replace it ?

any help or tips would be appreciated

thanks

PTW
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 549
Jumpy Speedo

Had similar issue with erratic speedo on an old kawasaki- turned out the big nut that holds the cable to the speedometer had loosened up a couple turns. You might check both ends of the cable to ensure they're tight. After that I would lube the cable good. Beyond that I'm out of ideas, unless the nylon gear in the hub is torn up or the speedo head itself is fried.

Hopefully some others will chime in on your other questions.
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
speedo

yup, check the top, if its tight, pull it at the wheel and spin it with an elec. drill, if the needle is smooth then the trouble is in the nylon gear. you will need to push the drill toward the speedo to ensure the speedometer end is engaged properly. and lube it either way. good luck, bike looks nice, oh and a weld will be a bandaid on the swing arm, its likley to happen again, if your souping it up id go for a homemade chromoly tube type.
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Pete the Wulf OP
Bloody Goose

Oddometer: 27
Thanks guys
New bars and grips went on today, i also put a led break light and some new blinkers on the rear so i can cut the rear guard, will get a pic of that when its cut.

The new bars and some pillow top grips.

PTW