User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Bally OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Melbourne to Merimbula

Hi Guys, I'm a forum virgin so please be gentle with me.
I'm planning a solo ride in March from Melbourne Vic to Merimbula NSW on a fairly well set up DR650. I've been riding my whole life but I'll be carrying a far bit of gear so no crusty demons stuff !!!
My planned route is as follows
MELBOURNE*
WARBURTON*
CAMBARVILLE
MATLOCK
LICOLA
BENNISON LOOKOUT
ARBUCKLE JUNCTION
HORSEYARD FLAT
DARGO*
TABBERABBERA
BULLUMWAAL
SELDOM SEEN
BROOKVILLE
SWIFTS CREEK*
OMEO*
HINNOMUNJIE
THE BROTHERS
WULGUIMERANG
MACKILLOP BRIDGE
DEDDICK
TUBBUT
CABANANDRA
DELLICKNORA
DELGATE RIVER
DELGATE*
BOMBALA*
MERIMBULA*
The astrix is where fuel is available (I think) I've got about 300km fuel range. I plan to camp out most nights. Do you guys know of any problems I might face. Any thoughts would be great.
Bally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
middo
Weestrom x2

Oddometer: 14
Go for it and enjoy yourself. You shouldn't get into too much trouble along the way
middo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Neonasty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Sounds like a decent trip.

I was just up in that area. I went Melbourne - Buchan - MacKillops bridge - Jindabyne - Thredbo - Albury - Echuca - Melbourne. Although this was more 4x4 than bike. Sticking to the main roads will be fine, Its just like a med sized road with no scarey bits or very rough bits. My stock KLR would have done it easily.

Theres no fuel between Buchan and Jindabyne. Some small location had a fuel station but the owner had blocked off the enterance with old cars and they had graffiti on them, so we just kept going. It looked like something out of mad max.

Weather changes damn quickly up there so bring warm, and waterproof, and shorts too!

Theres a lot of wildlife on the barry way, be carefull of roos and the like, cattle escape too. Dont hit anything.

Good luck. Take lots of pics.
Neonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
slojon
SLOJON

Oddometer: 522
WULGUIMERANG used to have fuel too but don't bet on it. I think.
slojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Looks good, we did the opposite way, went from Merimbula up through Kosciusko National Park. It really would be a shame to get up that far and not do the loop of Kosciuscko - like Jindabyne to Khancoban then around to Adamnaminby and back around to Cooma. My Dad and I both agree that it was some of the best riding we had done in Australia. While we were there we bumped into a guy - he had flown into Canberra to visit friends for Christmas and he hired a bike for a couple of days to ride that loop. That's saying a fair bit.

Anyway, Snowy river national park, I think it is called the Deddick track is supposed to be really good. Only problem is that there had been a lot of rain the week before and so we had been recommended against doing it. Something called the Staircase is supposed to be pretty hairy.

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/tracks.ht..._Deddick-Trail

Anyway, we took another dirt track past MacKillops Bridge which was great. I really enjoyed a lot of that trip. We did it as part of a massive loop from Brisbane - Merimubla - Melbourne (Ocean Grove) - Mildura - Broken Hill - White Cliffs and then back to Brisbane. But Kosciuscko and Snowy River NP were my highlights.

I also did this all on a DR650 with a Safari tank - so can't comment really on fuel availability. Didn't have to worry too much with a good 650k's of range.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
You are thinking of the Barry Way.

Not quite as daredevil as the Deddrick Trail
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...site=gippsland

Looks like you may have to play it by ear...
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Sunken Man
Sunken Man

Oddometer: 53
I have ridden a few of the roads you mention and some of the other roads mentioned by others in this thread. I will be heading up that way at about the same time. Perhaps a few weeks later (late march 2013) on my way up to Cape York on a long planned 6+ month trip.
I found the roads all quite workable for me ( moderate experience and some youthful exuberance) on my KLR with lots of gear. Fuel wasn't a consideration for me as I get 700+ km from onboard fuel(main tank +2x5L spares). You will have a blast! I love these roads up through the Vic/NSW alps so much I am going back again despite two recent trips that way.
Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions. I will be posting here with my trip plans soon. The trip is planned as a solo trip at this stage. I don't mind the idea of catching a fellow ADVrider for a leg or two though so feel free to let me know how it shapes up for you as the time approaches incase we maybe see each other along the way.
Sunken Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
Sunken Man
Sunken Man

Oddometer: 53
The Cape trip is getting closer now. Plans have shifted a bit. There are two of us now. Still leaving end of March and heading through the Vic Alps up to the Blue mountains.

Would be happy to see a fellow ADVrider on this early part of the trip so feel free to let us know if anyone has similar plans.
Sunken Man is offline   Reply With Quote